2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-25-2014, 12:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Cautionary tale, rough idle, knocking, tick, low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Crissyfl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cautionary tale, rough idle, knocking, tick, low oil pressure

We have a 2004 late model f150 and just went through the shake at low idle, knocking and pP0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349 codes, ours also had the 22 code which i Think is low oil preasure and it seemed like the transmission was about to go. Mind you this didn't happen all at once, the condition had been deteriorating over time. We change the oil and filter ever 6k miles. Before we took it to the shop, i read horror stories of thes symptoms and folks replacing cam sensors, VCR, timing chains...etc, and thousands of dollars later symptoms remained. Since I know the p codes pointed to cam sensors, and I know many times that didn't resolve, I wanted to have them go right for a skipped tooth. My husband went against my recommendation and took it to his ford Truck expert mechanic. A week later and 1800 dollars the mechanic called and said their is sludge all over the engine, the truck barely runs, not to waste any more money to get a new engine...

So my husband told me this news, i did not believe this diagnosis. So i did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that we needed to chane the oil to 15-40 diesel. I told my husband to call his expert mechanic and tell him to humor you and put in that oil.

My husband was laughing, thinking how rediculous this idea was. But since the alternative was to get it towed for a second opinion or buy a new engine and tranny, he went with it.

Well the next day the mechanic calls and says he can't believe it but the 15-40 oil resolved all the issues. Knocking, stalling at idle, rough idle, transmission symptoms, running like a diesel oh and the ticking... GONE.

I found at least 10 other people who have resolved these issues with the 15-40.

I wish someone had posted this resolution with more clarity so that we could have done this first and saved 1800$ and a lot of stress.

I hope this helps someone else! Good luck. Oh and if I got some of the mechanical terms wrong, ots because I am a computer programmer with no auto repair experience

Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The 15-40 is thicker when hot thats why all the symptoms went away. The thicker oil increased the pressure to the phasers. What brand oil were you using every 6k miles? It seems odd that the engine is sludged if the oil has been changed regularly.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Crissyfl
New User
Not sure the brand, we usually take it to ford. What I am still pondering is if the oil is masking the bigger issue or if the engine/phasers were being starved for oil. So it seems to me the phasers had to have been good or the oil change would not have affected the outcome. I actually read somewhere a photographed letter that appeared to have been from ford recommending 15-30 on 2004-... F150 v5.4. I imagine that if to came out that many of these engine/tranny issues that plague this range of trucks were a result of a poor recommendation by ford... Justa theory. I guess we will see In a few months if this masked the issue or indeed resolve. I was just hopy to saves few folks from buying a new engine or spending their paychecks on unnecessary work.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM
RoushFan00
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced the entire front end of my 04 5.4 last month and am still seeing the engine stalling, moreso when I back into a parking spot after the engine has come up to operating temperature. Since the phasers and everything are good (assuming I didn't get bad parts, that is) my thought is low oil pressure. I've heard 20w-40 and now 15w-40. What is the best weight to use?? I don't want to add too much density. And does anyone have any first-hand experience to share about using heavier oil over time?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
I would start with 10w30 and if that doesn't help then try 15-40

Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
By switching to 10W30 or 15W40 at what point are you starving the VCT solenoids and/or the Cam Phasers? I would have to believe if you are having issues with the engine then Something is BROKEN or Clogged??? I feel by jsut changing the oil you are simply masking the problem... and I would think eventually the engine would Implode

I am about to install new chains, tensioners and guides into my truck. I already did Both Phasers, Both VCT soleniods, Plugs (only 4 broke & the Lisle 65600 tool made short work of them!) and 1 Cam position sensor (as I broke it - only a $27 mistake)

Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Well since the phasers work using oil pressure then if switching to a thicker oil fixes the problem then they should be getting more pressure. There are a lot of places that bleed off oil pressure and if the tolerances are a little larger due to wear then more will bleed off. I agree its masking the true problem but if the engine is happy with it then ok. 5w20 oil is pretty thin stuff when hot.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM
edwardison
New User
I too have the same problem. Valves clattering at idle when hot. I think I will boost the 5W-20 to 5W-30 for starters. Just so you know, mine is 3 years newer than your 2004. Nothing has changed!!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by edwardison
I too have the same problem. Valves clattering at idle when hot. I think I will boost the 5W-20 to 5W-30 for starters. Just so you know, mine is 3 years newer than your 2004. Nothing has changed!!
First things first - PUT A REAL OIL PRESSURE GAUGE on that POS! Will ya please

Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM
edwardison
New User
Thanks for the response. My mechanic did put a real gauge on. Drops off to 22lbs when hot at idle. What else should we do first? thanks

Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the response. My mechanic did put a real gauge on. Drops off to 22lbs when hot at idle. What else should we do first? thanks
It MIGHT be leaky cam chain tensioners... Worse case you are in the situation I was... I had 15 psi @ hot idle.. That was after 2 new phasers, 2 new vct soleniods a new timing chain set... I would check the oil and see what it looks like.. if it is gray then jam some 15W40 in the engine and trade it in and Run Fast! I did.. and will never by another Ford - EVER...

Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
edwardison
New User
My oil is not grey for now. What caused yours to turn grey?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
My oil is not grey for now. What caused yours to turn grey?
A worn bearing or something bad... Never found out... put 15W40 in the engine and traded the POS in and got 11K for it.. Suckers! I bought a Toyota for the wife - done with Ford. Granted I am in the 5% of people who have had crap luck with their Fords - but as they say in baseball - "You are only as good as your last at Bat" and Ford struck out looking!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
timhuggins85142
New User
My 1996 250 is doing the same thing... Help

Hello Everyone.

The wife and I just bought a 2006 f250 crew cab with 88k miles at the Albuquerque auction this past Thursday for $3700. No bed on her, so she was definitely the ugly duckling of the auction. Thought I had stole it from these guys till I tried to drive it home...

Sounds like the exact same problem all of you have been having. I have gone thru and gleaned out the fixes I will be going thru (cheapest first). Have already put a new battery and new starter on it and changed the oil (but used 10/40 standard oil).

Now, to the tougher stuff... Truck stayed at my uncles house in NM and we drove back to AZ quite disappointed... I'm not a full time mechanic, but I can hold my own.

Any recommendations? (no: I dont want to sell it. I see too many of these things that do over 300k on the odo so would rather fix it... if possible). It's been a while since the last post, I'd be interested to see if there are any more suggestions since this one dropped...

Thanks for any help you all can come up with.

2006-FordF250 Photos by timhuggins85142 | Photobucket

Tim.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:30 PM
rduran7915
New User
Originally Posted by Crissyfl
We have a 2004 late model f150 and just went through the shake at low idle, knocking and pP0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349 codes, ours also had the 22 code which i Think is low oil preasure and it seemed like the transmission was about to go. Mind you this didn't happen all at once, the condition had been deteriorating over time. We change the oil and filter ever 6k miles. Before we took it to the shop, i read horror stories of thes symptoms and folks replacing cam sensors, VCR, timing chains...etc, and thousands of dollars later symptoms remained. Since I know the p codes pointed to cam sensors, and I know many times that didn't resolve, I wanted to have them go right for a skipped tooth. My husband went against my recommendation and took it to his ford Truck expert mechanic. A week later and 1800 dollars the mechanic called and said their is sludge all over the engine, the truck barely runs, not to waste any more money to get a new engine...

So my husband told me this news, i did not believe this diagnosis. So i did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that we needed to chane the oil to 15-40 diesel. I told my husband to call his expert mechanic and tell him to humor you and put in that oil.

My husband was laughing, thinking how rediculous this idea was. But since the alternative was to get it towed for a second opinion or buy a new engine and tranny, he went with it.

Well the next day the mechanic calls and says he can't believe it but the 15-40 oil resolved all the issues. Knocking, stalling at idle, rough idle, transmission symptoms, running like a diesel oh and the ticking... GONE.

I found at least 10 other people who have resolved these issues with the 15-40.

I wish someone had posted this resolution with more clarity so that we could have done this first and saved 1800$ and a lot of stress.

I hope this helps someone else! Good luck. Oh and if I got some of the mechanical terms wrong, ots because I am a computer programmer with no auto repair experience
I am going to try this hopefully it will help.

Quick Reply: Cautionary tale, rough idle, knocking, tick, low oil pressure