Sponsored by: Moser

seeking opinions of those who have the in dash GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
seeking opinions of those who have the in dash GPS

Im considering getting the Ford in dash touch screen GPS system for my truck. Do I need it? No. I have a GPS unit, Sync, and an iPhone with all the navigation tools I could need. I called the dealer to ask and they told me it was going to be around $2k with instalation. Thats a ton of money to spend on somthing I dont need. However, I really like the way it looks and Ive looked at aftermarket GPS systems and they look rather bad. The bezel doesnt match, and/or it leaves huge gaping holes in and around the unit in the dash. It would be nice not to have to lug around my portable GPS everytime I go somewhere. Another thought I had and inquired about is that getting the Ford navigation will increase the value of my truck. Im planning on keeping my truck a few more years but there will be a point where Ill want to trade it in and get a newer one. And since Im going to have this one for a while why not make the most of it, eh?

So I was wondering what your opinions were? Do you like the system? Does it function better or worse then a portable GPS unit? Do you wish you didnt have it and saved the money when you bought your truck?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Honestly for the money you will spend you can save a lot with an aftermarket unit and can add more than one camera to the truck. That sure seems like a lot of money just for the nav. how about the Pioneer AVIC Z130BT?

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-Z.../dp/B004HW6F8S

Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Chillman15
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like my in Dash Ford GPS. I have the portable GPS as well and never use it anymore. The feature I like the most about the in Dash unit is that it uses the speakers in your car. So you are less likely to miss that turn when you just so happen to be rocking out to your favorite jam as loud as you can! I also like that is says the name of the street. "Turn left on John Smith road in 1 mile". I know some portable units have the ability to do this but mine didn't.

I am extremely happy that I have it but you are right, $2000 is a bunch of cash to spend on a GPS unit. I would be interested to see exactly how much it would raise the Blue Book value with the GPS unit vs. without it.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Except for the poor quality of the map data (in some areas) and the $199 map updates, I love the in-dash display.

IMHO, the best feature is the total system integration (climate, phone, Sync, radio, Travelink, backup camera, stereo controls (bass, treble, balance, and fade)).

$2k is way too much to pay for just the GPS, especially one that is expensive to update.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Chillman15
Freshman User
I really have not had a problem with my maps. Overall I am extremely pleased with the GPS’s turn by turn navigation. I purchased the truck off eBay and brought my portable Garmin with me for the ride home to compare the two. They were exactly the same the whole way home. (Newark - Cincinnati).

I agree that the overall functionality of the unit is impressive. $2000 impressive maybe not, but it is not my money. To me it would all depend on what my return would be on the $2000, or lack thereof. If I it raised my truck value by $1500 yeah I would probably make the move. If it only raised it by $500 I would probably look at other options.

Did the dealership do your map upgrade? And how often do you have to do it?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
I have never updated mine.

There are several interstates in my area that were modified in 2005 and the 2009 maps are wrong. There are also roads in cities that have been there for as long as there have been maps and they are missing or incorrect.

You can purchase the map (and Gracenote db) updates from Ford or directly from Navteq. Both charge $199 for the two DVDs. You perform the update yourself.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 PM
fxhdfd
Freshman User
GPS

I have a 2011 Platinum with my nav. I got the better sound system with it.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The GPS is pretty basic, but the system to me is worth it just for the backup cam and high resolution screen. I hit the draw bar trailer ball on the trailer hitch right on every time with no helper; was more difficult and grainy pic on my previous aftermarket screen and licence plate cam, which was junk in comparison.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Beach_Bob
Senior User
I've used Garmin GPS's for years and the Ford one leaves a LOT to be desired. However, with the upgraded Sony stereo and the beautiful integration of all the other functions, I don't regret getting the unit.

If I still had to use the GPS feature a lot, I'd still end up with a Garmin suction cupped to the windshield.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:24 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
I wont have the backup camera because I dont have the camera in the tailgate, but if I get the head unit will it improve the sound quality of the radio? I have just the stock 6-disk changer/mp3/AM/FM/Sirius radio reciever with Sync in it now with the stock speakers.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
The head unit is a Clarion and supposedly the Sony sound system has better speakers, but there are a lot of complaints about a lack of bass.

I personally don't have any issues with the sound. Then again, I like almost any type of music except rap/hip-hop.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
The best I can figure on KBB, the Nav unit and all it's goodies would be worth about $600 in today's trade-in value. I was using my 2011 as the base truck for the comparison.

Personally if the truck that I liked had the nav system I'd get it but 2 grand for a dealer add on is a bit pricey for me.

Likewise, for the person who is determined to get regardless, the factory unit is the way to IMHO.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
The best I can figure on KBB, the Nav unit and all it's goodies would be worth about $600 in today's trade-in value. I was using my 2011 as the base truck for the comparison.

Personally if the truck that I liked had the nav system I'd get it but 2 grand for a dealer add on is a bit pricey for me.

Likewise, for the person who is determined to get regardless, the factory unit is the way to IMHO.
Absolutely correct. I would not pay $2k for the dealer to install it - too many potential issues.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:43 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Absolutely correct. I would not pay $2k for the dealer to install it - too many potential issues.
You think so? My thought was having the dealer installing it would reduce the potental issues. Pioneer has a unit they sell at Best Buy, and Best Buy wants a few hundred to install it. I would feel more comfortable with a certified Ford dealer installing it then some pimply faced tech at Best Buy. Again, I dont care for the way the aftermarket in dash systems look. Giant holes in the dash, mis-matching bezel, etc..

Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
If you get 'lucky' and go to a dealer that has an experienced and conscientious electronics tech, you'll probably be okay. However, in my experience any dash that ever been taken apart will eventually rattle, squeek, etc. especially when it's cold.

Will the system be added to your existing warranty (if you have any left)?

I would check Crutchfield.com (just did a quick check and there are 20 in-dash GPS units that will fit your truck). With the proper bezels and trims kits, you can make the install look VERY nice. Plus you know it's done right. Of course, this is assuming you are interested in doing it yourself and have the skills and tools required.

Nice thing about Crutchfield is they will give you very good instructions and everything you need (adapaters, screws, connectors, etc.). This is a huge plus when you're in the middle of the install, find out you're missing one freakin' screw, and the wife has the other car for the day.

Quick Reply: seeking opinions of those who have the in dash GPS