2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

universal cat getting cel would mil eliminator fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
07expeblack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
universal cat getting cel would mil eliminator fix?

A little while back I got a code for the cats so I replaced them and the shop put universals in and I still got the light. The O2 sensors are new. Would a set of mil eliminators make the light go off? I'm pretty new to the "mil eliminator game" so I know little about them. I haven't shopped around for the expedition much but American Muscle has a set for the mustangs, where are you guys getting expedition parts?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
07expeblack
New User
nuttin fellas?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM
07expeblack
New User
pretty lame forum boys

The expediton is my wife's car and I'm new to this forum just thought I'd see if I could get a little help on this issue. I'm on several mustang forums and they seem to be a little bit more helpful. I guess because their are DIY guys in the mustang comunity and I suppose there is only so much that can be done to an expediton and the like.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What code exactly did you get? How did you pull the code/codes? Was that the only one?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM
07expeblack
New User
codes

Had the codes ran two different auto parts stores via OBDII scanner, and again at the muffler shop. I don't know the numeric and phonetics code that the scanner gave because I didn't do it but the parts houses and the muffler shop said it was the catalytic converter gone bad. The muffler shop put on universal cats as stated above and they didn't work. I don't know if he knew that they wouldn't work before he put them on but that is neither here nor there because they are on now and I still have a check engine light. I suppose you're thinking maybe it's the o2 sensors. The fronts are new nut but not the rears but as far as I know it was the catalytic converter code that was given. When o2 sensors fail isn't it usually the fronts anyway? It seems like every car I have had to change them on it has been the upstream o2's

Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go back to the shop that installed them and hold them accountable. Might be worth a diagnosis at a dealer you trust also.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM
07expeblack
New User
Yeah very true but That shop is 2 and a half hours away and it's been a few months now and at the most they could do is refund the $300 spent on universals and I'd still be without cats, or I guess more than likely I guess that $300 would go towards the $1500 oem cat. Taking it to Ford would be ok but I bet they'd charger an hour labor to run an obd II scan and it'd take them all day to get to it. So no one knows anything about the MIL delete? The car's not running bad just tired of staring at the light. When it came time for inspection I just reset the ecu for by disconnecting the battery for awhile

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Grzmonky78
New User
Cat or 02 issues?

The 02 sensors after the cats are the sensors that detect if the cats are working or not. If the old cats had failed it can cause the downstream 02's to carbon up and not work anymore too. 02 sensors are a regular tune up item, maby look into replacing them as well. Did you have the code cleared from the vehical? If not the light will stay on. The auto parts stores where you had the code read should be able to clear it. What I would do is having them them write the codes down for you, have them clear any saved codes and see if the engine light comes back on now that you've had the cats replaced. If the light does come back on get that code and see if its the same as the first code. If you post the code I'm sure we could more accuratly help fix the underlying problem... I dont know about mil eliminators dont even know what it is but sounds like putting tape over the light instead of fixing the problem.

Last edited by Grzmonky78; 05-24-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Better explination.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
07expeblack
New User
I reset the comp once by disconnecting battery to get it inspected but it came on shortly after. Maybe I'll try to replace rears, but pretty sure it has something to do w the universal cat being on there. Couple weeks ago I was getting some work done on my car and I heard the mech tell a lady who also need cats that the universals wouldn't work and the light would come back on. Mil's are a band-aid of sorts yeah, they're mainly used for people who aren't running cats at all, they tell the ecu that the o2's are getting correct readings.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
You'd probably be better served dropping this thread/question into the Engine Tech arena. But first things first.

1. Go to Autozone/Shucks/Napa...whatever the brand and ask to use their diagnostic OBD-II tool. Usually free
2. Post up the code you are seeing
3. What mileage does your Expy have?
4. How is your MPG situation?
5. Did the shop that "repaired" your cats provide you any paperwork to prove your cats were bad?

give us some more info and lets see what the root of your issue is before you go off and throw money at the issue ***** nilly.

btw, MIL eliminators work decently, but I personally would just have them custom tuned/turned off. Did that for my Mustang when I ran longtubes and offroad "h" pipe. PCM didn't care and my MPG's came back.
I have never seen them for the Expy, but I have seen them for the 04-08 F-150 (basically exact same vehicle with a bed cap). I'd call up Mike Troyer or 5 Star Tuning and ask them. A performance shop can get you a proper answer.
Originally Posted by 07expeblack
The expediton is my wife's car and I'm new to this forum just thought I'd see if I could get a little help on this issue. I'm on several mustang forums and they seem to be a little bit more helpful. I guess because their are DIY guys in the mustang comunity and I suppose there is only so much that can be done to an expediton and the like.
well excuse FTE for not immediately jumping to your aid! This section of FTE is rather sparsly traveled. Only die-hard Ford guys and someone who has an issue with their rig (you) ever swing by here.

The Mustang forums are amok with people full of 1/2 **** and vinegar who 99% of the time are clueless and give out contradictory advice for any topic. I had an idiot tell me headers on my 09 Bullitt were worthless and that I'd see no gains...pretty soon 10 other morons agreed. shoulda read the ruckus when I lowered my car with "Foose stallion" parts and GT500 components. I had to quit that forum due to all the crap

anyways, welcome to FTE. Hang out for awhile and we'll get you where you need to be.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Pete D
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you get your old cats back? The factory cats are worth money at the junk yard.