1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horn pad/air bag assy replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
Okay, thanks. I'll give Tousley a call, they had good prices on the blue spring upgrade this last spring. Bruce

Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
PSDlongbox
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LindenBruce
Okay, thanks. I'll give Tousley a call, they had good prices on the blue spring upgrade this last spring. Bruce
I believe Tousley had it for 130.00. Like I said, you can source them for cheap on ebay if you keep an eye out.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it depends on the type of assembly the airbag has; Removing those 2 Torx screws didn't do anything for me, the rubber "Ford" horn cover was rivetted on 4 sides with 10 rivets;

I finally got the courage yesterday to drill out all 10 rivets and THEN I was able to peel the rubber cover and see the horn "ribbon" pad behind it.

NOW I understand this business. I didn't understand before.

but I ended with a very wobbly flimsy rubber cover that won't mount to the steering wheel and stay put solid. So I peeled the other heavier rubber layer from the metal frame, getting better, but then I realized I still need the metal frame to mount the sandwich to the steering wheel.

all that work to realize that what I DON'T NEED, is the folded airbag inside the metal frame, everything else I do need. Live and learn!

don't know, I might have to make it go off to get rid of it.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Badfunkn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jose A.
it depends on the type of assembly the airbag has; Removing those 2 Torx screws didn't do anything for me, the rubber "Ford" horn cover was rivetted on 4 sides with 10 rivets;

I finally got the courage yesterday to drill out all 10 rivets and THEN I was able to peel the rubber cover and see the horn "ribbon" pad behind it.

NOW I understand this business. I didn't understand before.

but I ended with a very wobbly flimsy rubber cover that won't mount to the steering wheel and stay put solid. So I peeled the other heavier rubber layer from the metal frame, getting better, but then I realized I still need the metal frame to mount the sandwich to the steering wheel.

all that work to realize that what I DON'T NEED, is the folded airbag inside the metal frame, everything else I do need. Live and learn!

don't know, I might have to make it go off to get rid of it.
I'm curious why you don't want the air bag? Why don't you just disconnect it rather than remove it?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Badfunkn
I'm curious why you don't want the air bag? Why don't you just disconnect it rather than remove it?
two reasons: one is lack of information about airbags, can't find anything online except sermons about "The Law", I won't be forced to drive a vehicle with a suppossed "safety device" that can hurt me.

and second, even if I disconnected it, it was (in my mind) a ticking explosive device pointing at my face. I don't trust airbags, and especially after reading stories about people getting hurt in accidents by the airbag or by airbag deployment by itself without an accident in older vehicles, just too much worry, I always wear my seatbelt. I drive a 1997 Aerostar, the airbag was 15 years old, so the chances of it going "bad" increase every day.

it's removed now, and I'm not at much risk of a high speed accident because I don't exceed my driving limits and I have a perfect driving record for the last 25 years, no tickets, no accidents. I'm very careful when driving, no texting, no phone use, no lack of attention.

here's a picture of what I ended with after very carefully taking it apart: parts 3, 2, and 1 will be reused to retain the horn and rigid horn pad function; Part 4 is the bag removed. fortunately it didn't go off.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Gemini Pride
New User
05 escape

Hello,
I am trying to figure out what to do with my truck. I was recently in a fender bender and my airbag deployed(wouldn't have saved anyone!) I am now driving around with my steering wheel taped up. After the accident my horn kept randomly honking so my bro in- law cut a wire.
My question is, do it need to replace the entire steering wheel with airbag, or can I just buy the airbag assembly? What happens to the horn now? Will the horn work with a new steering wheel or is there other parts that I need to find now?
I'm trying to sell this vehicle asap. There are so many things wrong with it. My last question is would it be illegal to sell w/o an airbag? I read an earlier post that said a woman took hers out completely.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 12-30-2017, 12:52 PM
BeverlyH
New User
Horn stuck "on"

Ok sorry didnt realize this site was for trucks until after I stared registering also I am a younger female so I may not use the right wording or part names. But I bought a 2013 ford fusion the guy said he punched the horn/steering wheel and it got stuck "on" he removed the fuse so it wasnt blaring. Well 1) i want my horn and 2) i think the fuse also operates the airbag (airbag light is on) and the windshield wiper fluid sprayer thing(it doesnt work either unknown if it works with the fuse in or not but i also need this to work) anyway can someone reply or email me at beverlyhubbell@gmail.com(i can send or recieve pictures there unsure if this site will let me i have the free membership) and tell me how to fix this? I think its just the "switch" in the steering wheel itself but i have no clue on how to check and see if it is the switch. I dont know im a little lost and hate taking it in without knowing anything because they try to take advantage of me (sometimes cant afford it either). Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Beverly,
first things first:

the Air Bag is at the steering wheel, the horn push or "switch" is there too. The Air bag can explode in your face, I'm surprised it did not explode in the guy's face when he punched it. You don't want to mess with those steering wheel components without knowing what you're doing.

If you are going to disassemble the steering wheel COVER, (behind it is the horn "push" AND the airbag), you need to disconnect the battery cables first. Then you need to disconnect the airbag itself, (who knows where the airbag module is).

The washer fluid:

1) have you or someone checked to see if there is water in the washer bottle?
2) have you or someone checked to see if they hear a buzzing sound when the washer button is pressed with the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY position?

If you hear a buzzing / humming sound everytime the windshield washer button is pressed, that means the washer motor pump is most likely good. (the ignition switch must be in the ACCESSORY position, the engine OFF so you can hear it).

If no sound, and there is water in the bottle, then it is possible that the pump / motor is burned out. As far as I know the windshield washer pump / motor is not in the same circuit / fuse as the horn push or the airbag. The pump / motor is usually located at the bottom of the water bottle, it is about the size of a lipstick, with a two-wire connector connected to it and a rubber water hose connected to a "port", also known as a "nipple".

The entire water bottle must usually be removed to get to the pump / motor.

Again, if you are not familiar with these things, it is best to let someone who knows do it.

I understand your concern with service centers but servicing cars is what they do, and most places charge $75.00 to $95.00 per hour if not higher, and those places have books that tell them what to charge for any repair. Most places are honest, but they are always expensive.