1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

My F100

Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My F100

So after some convincing I managed to wrangle away a very nice F100 from my nephew who wasn't doing anything with it. He tells me it's a 1960 and from some searching around I believe it has a 292 Y Block under the hood, other then that I'm not sure what's what. I would like some help deciphering the tag:

Serial #: F10C0H56244
WB: 118
Color: J
Model: F100
Date: 07G
Trans: B
Axel: 02
GVWR: 5000
146HP @ 3800RPM

Based on some research on this site I know most of this, except "date, color, trans, and axel"

Thanks ahead of time.

PS: I'm trying to put some pics on, but I don't have a photobucket account and they are too big to put into my gallery on here. An tips there too?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:44 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cochip Welcome to the orphanage!
Born on the 7th of july, Red, 3 speed over drive and 3.89 open diff.
Congratulations, whats your plans?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Cochip Welcome to the orphanage!
Born on the 7th of july, Red, 3 speed over drive and 3.89 open diff.
Congratulations, whats your plans?
Right now I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about her. Honestly I'm not sure!! I kinda fell into this on a whim and was super surprised that the wife agreed to it!! It's going to be a slow process, I'm new to Fords, but first I just want to get the engine running. I believe I have some brake issues to attend to and the wiring looks scary! I'm actually hoping to find some help on where to start and how to go about resurrecting her. I was told she was a runner, but honestly I have no idea how long ago that was! Here are some outside pics. When I get her home I'll be able to post more and get them into my album.
So am I right in that the 1960 came with a 292? Originally I thought it was an 233, but another look under the hood changed that thought. Oh right the pics:

Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Wow! Nice rustfree truck. Welcome aboard!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Wow! Nice rustfree truck. Welcome aboard!
Well the outside looks to be in pretty good shape, but I did notice a bit on the drivers side floor board near the door. I could see a bit of daylight through there!! :-) I did pull up the floor mat all the way to see the rest, but all in all it is not bad. I wish I could have crawled underneath to see a bit more but there are more then a few goat heads where she sits and I'm not that tough!!! Oh and thanks for the welcome!!! :-)

Old 05-19-2012, 11:08 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Cochip Yes your truck came with a 292! Your truck looks nice and straight.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Cochip Yes your truck came with a 292! Your truck looks nice and straight.
Thank you. Any tips on the first steps to getting her running again. I'm not talking driving down the road, just starting her up? Figured I'd start there.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
I would probably pull the plugs and oil the cylinders, put a carb kit in it as the carburetor is probably dried out and will leak like sieve! Then points and plugs. Fresh fluids and see what you got.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
I wondered about putting some oil in the cylinders, but I wasn't sure how much. I would assume use the same weight as the engine oil, nothing special there right? I feel so nieve to this stuff right now. Never thought of the carb being dried out!! Hell I don't even know how to identify which carb it is. Also I'm going to have to source a new radiator as the original was left uncapped and is rust-city, not to mention what is living inside of it now!! Also I was told that for the first try starting it up I should go with a high octane fuel and even a fuel booster to help burn up some of the old fuel left in the lines. Any thoughts on that?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 AM
jacks61ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would flush the tank and blow the lines out bad gas is bad news

Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jacks61ford
I would flush the tank and blow the lines out bad gas is bad news
Yup, clean the whole fuel system and replace any rubber hoses. You might try just cleaning the carb. If it needs a kit you should try to find a tag or part number on the carb. My 60 has a Holley 2 bbl but I'm not sure if it's what came on there. I would probably use Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders. Unless the rats have ate the plug wires, I'd just file and set the points until I heard it run, no sense in putting a bunch of new parts on an engine with a rod knock or dead hole(s).

Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Yup, clean the whole fuel system and replace any rubber hoses. You might try just cleaning the carb. If it needs a kit you should try to find a tag or part number on the carb. My 60 has a Holley 2 bbl but I'm not sure if it's what came on there. I would probably use Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders. Unless the rats have ate the plug wires, I'd just file and set the points until I heard it run, no sense in putting a bunch of new parts on an engine with a rod knock or dead hole(s).
I've heard some say to use denatured alcohol when cleaning out old gas from a tank, but I'm not sure if that's best. It's been capped, but I won't know what the condition is inside there until I get it out of the truck. As far as the Marvel Mystery oil would putting some in the carb at the first start-up and even in the fuel be advisable? Or should I just put in each cylinder only with a good octane fuel? I read up a little on this stuff and it sounds like it works as a fuel additive. BTW there isn't any good way to repair a badly rusted radiator is there? I'm thinking it's best to just find a replacement for it. What would be ideal? I've seen some folks who have used one from an older F250, but I'm not sure what would be a good replacement without modifying anything. Oh crap am I in deep here!!!

PS: I'm too new at this to have any idea how to file and set points!!! I was planning on replacing the cap and rotor, but maybe I'll wait and see if she turns over first.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 585 Likes on 525 Posts
Nice truck and welcome to FTE! Tons of info around here. Enjoy your project! Glad someone has it that wants to do something with it!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take your (empty) gas tank, with the sender removed, and your radiator to a good radiator shop. They can clean the tank and tell you if the radiator is savable, which they can also tank it and get it cleaned up if that's all it needs.
You've got a pretty good looking old truck, lots of us have started with way worse. Just sit back and enjoy the process, don't let it over whelm you.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Take your (empty) gas tank, with the sender removed, and your radiator to a good radiator shop. They can clean the tank and tell you if the radiator is savable, which they can also tank it and get it cleaned up if that's all it needs.
You've got a pretty good looking old truck, lots of us have started with way worse. Just sit back and enjoy the process, don't let it over whelm you.

Your right she's in really good shape and that's why I'm soo excited to jump into this project. I'm trying to pace myself and it's not easy!! First thing is I have to get through the end of the month, sister is getting married, and then I can get started digging in. It's gonna kill me to wait though. Thanks for the tips, I wouldn't have even tried to salvage the radiator, but it doesn't hurt to ask right! I would like to clean the tank myself to keep the cost down though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My F100