1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

'99 Exped. won't crank, then it will, then it won't...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Carolina Sorillo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 Exped. won't crank, then it will, then it won't...

I already looked through 10 pages and didn't find anything close to my problem. I know somebody here has had, seen or at least heard of this.

My wife came home from church, came in and went back out about 20-30min. later. Turned the key, all lights, bells and dings like normal except, no lights on radio and nothing happened out front. No starter action at all. I checked all fuses mentioning anything about starter or ignition or radio. Nothing. Finally, pulled "Audio" fuse #1, looked ok replaced it. Fired right up. So, better-half goes to Target. She's in there 20min. or so. Comes out insert key, same thing, all normal lights and dings, no radio lights, no action from starter. Leave it, go to dance recital. Come back a couple hours later, fires right up. Take it to mechanic's shop about 5 min. away, cut the engine, cranks right up 2 or 3 times. Go eat supper, come back in about 30-45min., again nothing. Mechanic messed with it today and finally got it to do it a couple times but, not long enough for the computer to pick up on it.

Any help would be awesome,
C.S.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 PM
orleec
Senior User
Originally Posted by Carolina Sorillo
I already looked through 10 pages and didn't find anything close to my problem. I know somebody here has had, seen or at least heard of this.

My wife came home from church, came in and went back out about 20-30min. later. Turned the key, all lights, bells and dings like normal except, no lights on radio and nothing happened out front. No starter action at all. I checked all fuses mentioning anything about starter or ignition or radio. Nothing. Finally, pulled "Audio" fuse #1, looked ok replaced it. Fired right up. So, better-half goes to Target. She's in there 20min. or so. Comes out insert key, same thing, all normal lights and dings, no radio lights, no action from starter. Leave it, go to dance recital. Come back a couple hours later, fires right up. Take it to mechanic's shop about 5 min. away, cut the engine, cranks right up 2 or 3 times. Go eat supper, come back in about 30-45min., again nothing. Mechanic messed with it today and finally got it to do it a couple times but, not long enough for the computer to pick up on it.

Any help would be awesome,
C.S.
Just had this issue on my 99XPXLT - down to the 'radio being off' symptoms which is weird to say the least. It was also intermittent in my case.

It was the switch solenoid found on the firewall on the passenger side behind a plastic cover. Part # F492 at Autozone for only < $20.

Duralast/Solenoid Switch (F492) | 1999 Ford Expedition 4WD 8 Cylinders L 5.4L EFI | AutoZone.com

I had to chase this one for sometimes too - I checked the fuses, the starter, the ignition switch, the PNP switch, etc. Hopefully I'll save you some of the troubles.

GL
OrleeC

Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Starter relay makes sense for everything except the radio-related symptom - there's no connection between the starter relay and the audio system. That one is curious.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Carolina Sorillo
New User
orleec,

You hit the nail on the head!!!

My mechanic said the solenoid switch was causing all sorts of crazy messages something about the theft system too. I don't remember wht all he said it was doing. All I do know is he said solenoid switch was the culprit and all is well now.

Got 175,000 on the ol' Exped. Hoping to get another 25grand on it before we half to let'er go. Wife thinks she wants a Honda van. But, we've had better service from the Exped. than anything we've had. So I've just about got her talked into going with another Exped. instead. She said that'd be ok, as long as the next one's rear seat folds into the floor instead having to be removed.

Thanks again, orleec,
C.S.