1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

If I do this, will you come? 48-60 FTE KY get-together

Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I'll have to see if I can round up a rollback, driver and portapotty
Dick, please inform us of the route you plan on taking. I'm sure there's a few who will want to be on the look out for you.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Doc - Where in KY did you say you are?
I'd like to check if I can catch a flight to Cincinnati and check next steps from there.

Or would anyone going from further south be willing to let a legal alien tag along for the road trip?

Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I really want to do this but I need the advice and guidance of my fellow truck nuts and enablers:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-adjunct.html

I just need a little nudge to do it. I think that is all it will take.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd give this serious thought, but I have a prior commitment that weekend. Doc, it's nice of you to offer this up for everybody! Of course, missing out on the White family will be heart-wrenching for me(yes, I watched the video).

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Oh man! I just got home from the ballfield and checked this thread. Plus I see the other thread that Bob started. I'm gonna calmly get myself something to drink and try to carefully answer all of the questions and emails. If there is one thing I want everybody to understand up front--I live in the very remote mountains of East KY. You can't find a more inviting and friendly place to visit, but just understand that we don't have a ton of nice comfortable tourist attractions, big hotels, fancy restaurants, etc. But I think we're all realizing that the possible once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet a lot of our FTE friends is more important than that other stuff. I am absolutely honored and pleasantly surprised that some of you guys are gonna consider driving such long distances. I will do everything within my power to make sure that goes as smoothly as possible. Now let me kind of catch my breath and go through all the questions and comments so that I can make sure everybody has as much information as possible.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Shane, if it makes you feel any better...The more remote the better! I hate traffic, and crowded civilization, long lines, rude jack-wads bumping into me and looking at me like it was my fault...
I love to turn off the paved road...Oh and yeah...I am a big country music fan.
I will sit back and watch the thread and see where this goes.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by DR Smith
The wife said it sounds like fun.{A happy wife is a happy life ] So we are checking the dates.Put us down for a maybe.What would you have for showers.out houses,water,if camping
I can't tell you the specifics of those things just yet because, quite frankly, I'm not sure myself. But rest assured I will have running water, toilet facilities, and some showers available. I just don't know the specifics just yet.

Would love to have you, Dick. You can leave the portapotty there in PA. We have lots of tall weeds and big trees you can hide behind.

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
She might have a little interest since it would be on a farm, as long as it's farm related it's OK. I can't get her to stay out of the cow crap for longer than a day at most. Doc, could you arrange to have a bucket or two waiting for her to soak her feet in? Also, she needs to feed a couple of calves every day or she gets really surly, have any around?
LOL. I don't have any cattle at the very moment. I just got tired of feeding them back in the winter, so I sold them all one day. But I may have some more by the time your wife gets here.

Originally Posted by Ravenheart
Doc - Where in KY did you say you are?
I'd like to check if I can catch a flight to Cincinnati and check next steps from there.

Or would anyone going from further south be willing to let a legal alien tag along for the road trip?
I live in Blackey, KY. Letcher County. Very near the Virginia border. I'm thinking Cincinnati is indeed your nearest international flight hub. Other nearby airports are the "Tri-Cities" airport in Johnson City, TN; the Knoxville, TN airport, and Lexington Bluegrass Airport.

Originally Posted by carnut122
I'd give this serious thought, but I have a prior commitment that weekend. Doc, it's nice of you to offer this up for everybody! Of course, missing out on the White family will be heart-wrenching for me(yes, I watched the video).
LOL. I think we'll give ole Jesco a rain check this time around. Wish you could make it.

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Shane, if it makes you feel any better...The more remote the better! I hate traffic, and crowded civilization, long lines, rude jack-wads bumping into me and looking at me like it was my fault...
I love to turn off the paved road...Oh and yeah...I am a big country music fan.
I will sit back and watch the thread and see where this goes.
Let's put it this way, other than school, I've lived in this county my entire life. My parents' house is 10 miles away. I had never been down my road here until the day I looked at this property for the first time. Never had a need to do so. It's that remote. Our little state highway out here didn't get paved until somewhere back in the late 70's or early 80's.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love it!....just wish I was closer, I would pull into your yard with the old trailer in tow.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Shane/Doc,

I was chatting with some truck buddies today about your thoughts. Most of them own Studebaker trucks and some Chebbys. I politely informed them that non Fords were not welcome. It was the highlight of my day!!!!! But seriously, one them did bring up a good point and since you did ask for honesty I wanted to mention the ugly word of liability. I think it would be important to establish a few easy rules and understanding for those that do show up. Nothing wrong with laying out the dates, times and rules of conduct for us party goers. 99.9% of us that dig the idea will respect your home, your dreams, etc. It's the 0.01% that causes you headaches. I use to organize local cruise-ins and would be happy to email you some stuff to help with your logistics. Above all, I think you want to keep this informal, fun and relaxed as we do, I just want to see you protected as well. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Also, if I had one suggestion, I would LOVE to see a swap meet that benefited the FTEr. No vendors, just people swapping part for part or maybe a few bucks here or there. I know I have about 5 boxes of odds and ends 53-56 truck parts that I would love to see go to people that need them to finish projects. I wouldn't mind getting a few parts back to finish projects. Nothing high dollar, just true barter. Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Quote:
Dick, please inform us of the route you plan on taking. I'm sure there's a few who will want to be on the look out for you.
And to use your portapotty.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doc The Portapotty if for the trip down and back and if I have a flairup while there
I have bad IBS and plan my trips outside the house by where bathrooms are

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by teardropty
Hey Shane/Doc,

I was chatting with some truck buddies today about your thoughts. Most of them own Studebaker trucks and some Chebbys. I politely informed them that non Fords were not welcome. It was the highlight of my day!!!!! But seriously, one them did bring up a good point and since you did ask for honesty I wanted to mention the ugly word of liability. I think it would be important to establish a few easy rules and understanding for those that do show up. Nothing wrong with laying out the dates, times and rules of conduct for us party goers. 99.9% of us that dig the idea will respect your home, your dreams, etc. It's the 0.01% that causes you headaches. I use to organize local cruise-ins and would be happy to email you some stuff to help with your logistics. Above all, I think you want to keep this informal, fun and relaxed as we do, I just want to see you protected as well. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Also, if I had one suggestion, I would LOVE to see a swap meet that benefited the FTEr. No vendors, just people swapping part for part or maybe a few bucks here or there. I know I have about 5 boxes of odds and ends 53-56 truck parts that I would love to see go to people that need them to finish projects. I wouldn't mind getting a few parts back to finish projects. Nothing high dollar, just true barter. Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestions, and feel free to send me whatever you might have. I too have been thinking about the liability of things. Let's face it, my place isn't some well-manicured amusement park or conference center. As far as limiting who comes to this thing, I have to put a solid lid on it as much as possible. This is a gathering of friends above all else. And I will indeed limit it to people who are established and contributing members of our group within FTE. Yes, I have some very close friends and neighbors who will be helping me with this thing, but otherwise I'm not gonna open this up to the general public and allow it to become a generalized car show or public event. I feel the need to keep the focus on the FTE get-together more than anything else. More than anything else, this needs to remain as a simple gathering of friends.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Fantastic idea Doc! My hats off to you.
I sure wish I was closer, I could probably pull off a 400 mile radius but 1500 miles is a bit out of my range. I probably couldn't convince my ol' lady to riding in my hot, noisy, bouncy old truck for that length of time either

I hope it all goes well. It sounds like a lot of fun
Bobby

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
teardropty brought up some good points. Too bad in our litigious society things can get out of hand. It's your party, you make the rules and everyone has to live with them.

As for bringing parts to vend, not a bad idea especially if you have some low priced parts for a '48-50 F-2 with a stock 226 flat six and four speed. Things like a water pump, radiator, U-joints, bearings, you know, stuff I might be in need of once I get down there. Who knows, maybe some one coming the down the highway may find those parts on the road. If you do please pick them up for me I should be more optimistic, Ol Betsy has been more reliable than any of my daily drivers.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,421 Likes on 1,377 Posts
This sounds like a whole bunch of fun. But alas, it is a bit far for me, too. Now, perhaps if they had a 'Rent-A-Effie" at the airport, that might be different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If I do this, will you come? 48-60 FTE KY get-together