6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Water depth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water depth?

This may not be an issue many of you ever face, but I live next to a creek and have six low water crossings on the road I use the most to get back and forth to town. Last week we had a good rain, and all of them were under water. They have markers, and most of them were right at the one-foot mark, except the last two - one was 1 1/2' and the other was at 2'.

I put her in 4wd-h and made it through without issue at the 1.5 foot level, but completely chickened out at the 2' crossing. My truck is stock, 20" tires and FX4, so she sits up pretty high. But still.

Would y'all have chanced the 2' foot crossing, or skipped it like I did? Fortunately, I had another route I could take at that point to go around - but if any of the others ever get that high, I won't. So just wondering what level y'all would consider to drive through, and what are the dangers (other than being swept away) of driving through high water?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
KG6EPF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd definitely be chicken...but you should ask these guys for advice.

Russian trucks at their best.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 884 Likes on 322 Posts
I'd probably pass. Seems like i read in the manual about rear differential vent, and that if you go though water of a certain depth, that you need to have the axle lube changed out. I dont have a manual handy at the moment, but if you do, you might take a quick look.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,187 Posts
22" is the limit for me. This is pretty common in one of the areas that we ride if we head there after a rain. It is 24-25" to my floor boards. I don't like getting the carpet wet. My truck prior to this the limit was 18" and if it was higher than this, then we just unhooked at the road and rode our 4 wheelers in. Being able to stage on my cousins land in private is nice and you don't have to worry about people snooping around your truck and trailer. Also means I can leave the trailer open and unlocked while we tear it up on the 4 wheelers.

Keep in mind, I have a 2.5 leveling kit, F-350 blocks and 35's for tires. So I'm sitting higher than you already. If you have a horse trailer hooked up, you may loose some clearance as well. I think you were close to the safe limit without a lift. Axle vent is higher up btw. I always check my diffs anyway and I'm still looking good. I swapped out to Amsoil in the diffs on day one.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by KG6EPF
I'd definitely be chicken...but you should ask these guys for advice.
But maybe not these guys.
Last September during Hurricane Irene just north of me.

Army Rescue Fail - Truck stuck in flood - 'It's The Army Bro' - TMF - YouTube

Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
That's just crazy - aren't you supposed to keep your exhaust pipe out the water to keep from killing the engine?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
As long as the engine is running, not a problem. Engine dies, LARGE problem.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Aaah, gotcha.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Ford the water in low gear and higher rpms.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
lundman
Senior User
water depth

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
As long as the engine is running, not a problem. Engine dies, LARGE problem.

Yea, but if the pressure on the exhaust is overcome with water the engine will die. High RPM and exhaust will help but better to have the exhaust line above the water line. Otherwise, might get major engine damage if any water is sucked into her. People doing off road driving do a number of modifications when crossing deep water. The diff stuff can be re-lubed and cleaned but the engine might be costly. If it is a short drive probably okay but if another route why chance it?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Water crossings are mentioned a couple times in the manual. Excerpts below (most is common knowledge). Ford may be excessive with their "carefulness" but suckin' water into anything can be detrimental. I've always tried to keep it below the hubs. Now, 20 years ago when I was a dumb teenager, I'd float (using the term loosely here) my '78 Bronco across anything. Water would pour in through the doors, etc. Too many electronics on the new trucks to risk it.

[FROM THE MANUAL]
Driving through deep water may damage the transmission.

Refer to Transmission temperature gauge in the Instrument Cluster chapter for transmission fluid temperature information. If the front or rear axle is submerged in water, the axle lubricant should be replaced. After driving through mud, clean off residue stuck to rotating driveshafts and tires. Excess mud stuck on tires and rotating driveshafts causes an imbalance that could damage drive components.

DRIVING THROUGH WATER
If driving through deep or standing water is unavoidable, proceed very slowly especially when the depth is not known. Never drive through water that is higher than the bottom of the wheel rims (for cars) or the bottom of the hubs (for trucks). When driving through water, traction or brake capability may be limited. Also, water may enter your engine’s air intake and severely damage your engine or your vehicle may stall. Driving through deep water where the transmission vent tube is submerged may allow water into the transmission and cause internal transmission damage. Once through the water, always dry the brakes by moving your vehicle slowly while applying light pressure on the brake pedal. Wet brakes do not stop the vehicle as quickly as dry brakes.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
rlm328
Freshman User
Water level to about hub height. Anything over that and you probably need to repackage your bearings.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
I kept an eye on my rear tires through the side mirrors, hubs were always visible. I'll have to measure them height-wise when I get a chance.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lundman
Yea, but if the pressure on the exhaust is overcome with water the engine will die. High RPM and exhaust will help but better to have the exhaust line above the water line. Otherwise, might get major engine damage if any water is sucked into her. People doing off road driving do a number of modifications when crossing deep water. The diff stuff can be re-lubed and cleaned but the engine might be costly. If it is a short drive probably okay but if another route why chance it?
I'm not encouraging it. She asked if anyone had experience with it and I responded with mine. I wasn't reporting on what might happen, I explained what I have done...that's all.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Careful Pam, we don't want to add water logged to that signature.

Quick Reply: Water depth?