Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

California or Bust! Long odds and good times!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by lio45
I hope he's in Baldwin Park making cabinets for $30/h... that's exactly what he went west for. There are plenty of simple ways to travel 30 miles. Worst case, leave the truck somewhere for the time being, and it's a day's walk. I would absolutely never ever even think of letting a day's walk keep me from a $30/h job offer if I were in his situation.

Interestingly enough, his profile says "Last Activity: Today 07:36 PM". But he didn't pop in here to say hi.
Wow, interesting....ah well

Originally Posted by LMS Residential
Case in point.

After I got divorced I returned to the Chicago area from Truckee CA with my 69 Marquis convertible, a trunkload of tools and back seat full of clothes. I found my mom and younger brother and sister in the final stages of being evicted from a small apartment, mom was working but unable to keep up with the bills. So I sold the Merc, put down a security deposit and 1st months rent at a bigger place for them and immediately scored a gut rehab project on a historic home in Hyde Park near the University of Chicago. In the dead of winter, I lugged 4 really heavy tool boxes on a combination of 3 bus lines, a train and about a mile and a half of walking every day for about 4 months to complete the project. Couldn't leave the tools at the site due to the risk of theft.
As a result, the project was featured in the homelife section of the Chicago SunTimes newspaper, I had saved enough for a down payment on a Toyota truck, bought a radial arm saw and got a slew of referrals.
Not praising myself as this, I would assume, was just a matter of doing what you gotta do.
I, too, would have walked 30 miles to secure a good paying job, particularly in light of the circumstances.
Exactly what some perseverance and determination, plus a little integrity will get you

Originally Posted by eatont9999
Well, if he sells it as parts, I hope I at least get my IP back.
I hope so too eaton...you deserve at least that much....too much to say but keeping my mouth shut

Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM
cornking
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo
No, I recognized yours. You had the all-white supercab longbed with the head issues, right?

Mike
Correct!!!

The operative word is "Had"

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
lio45
Senior User
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
Case in point.

After I got divorced I returned to the Chicago area from Truckee CA with my 69 Marquis convertible, a trunkload of tools and back seat full of clothes. I found my mom and younger brother and sister in the final stages of being evicted from a small apartment, mom was working but unable to keep up with the bills. So I sold the Merc, put down a security deposit and 1st months rent at a bigger place for them and immediately scored a gut rehab project on a historic home in Hyde Park near the University of Chicago. In the dead of winter, I lugged 4 really heavy tool boxes on a combination of 3 bus lines, a train and about a mile and a half of walking every day for about 4 months to complete the project. Couldn't leave the tools at the site due to the risk of theft.
As a result, the project was featured in the homelife section of the Chicago SunTimes newspaper, I had saved enough for a down payment on a Toyota truck, bought a radial arm saw and got a slew of referrals.
Not praising myself as this, I would assume, was just a matter of doing what you gotta do.
I, too, would have walked 30 miles to secure a good paying job, particularly in light of the circumstances.

Way to go, Mr LMS!
Always nice to hear success stories from people who worked for what they have!! The only negative point... WTH, downpayment on a Toyota?!?!?!?
:-P

Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to go, Mr LMS!
Always nice to hear success stories from people who worked for what they have!! The only negative point... WTH, downpayment on a Toyota?!?!?!?
:-P
Hey it was cheap (4wd base truck, 5 speed, no A/C and 9900.00 brand new) and they were financing anyone who could fog a mirror. I have, however, had a toyota 4runner as my in city transportation continuously since 1984, replace it about every 5 or 6 years. Hate to say it but they're awesome city commando vehicles. Of course, I like my F250 much better.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
cornking
Senior User
I am curious how this whole story ended up. Has anyone heard anything from Linus? Is he working? Does he like California? Did he sell the truck?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He probably got arrested again...

Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
lio45
Senior User
The two L.A. Craigslist ads I quoted on the previous page have been deleted by their author.

So, truck isn't advertised any more. Possible conclusions: either sold, not for sale any more, Linus isn't in that area any more, or Linus is unable to sell it due to currently being in jail.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I vote jail but who knows.....

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 PM
charleswood6969
Senior User
I been out of the loop for awhile. Life kicks ya in the butt every once in awhile, so, just catching up. Anything new on Linus?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 PM
TXdoug
Tuned
Wow, I can't believe I read the whole thing.
I had hoped for a happy ending but that aint happened yet. I am pretty new here, the story and the generosity of the men of FTE held me in my chair for 27 pages.

I followed the link from the alt fuel section and I got an education along the way.

Hope the op is ok, but my money is on the pay it forward guys.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM
lio45
Senior User
Originally Posted by TXdoug
I had hoped for a happy ending but that aint happened yet.
"Yet?"

Personally, I've kinda ruled it out the moment I realized that Linus had had enough internet access time to redact two lengthy Craigslist ads in the hopes of selling his truck around the 20th of September, but did not take an extra minute to pop on here to say hello to the guys whose incredible generosity made it possible for him to be there in the first place...

By this point it's hard to fail to notice that he comes here only when he needs info (or, worse, parts).

I'd love to be wrong, but with what we've seen, what's for sure is that he definitely doesn't behave like I personally would if I had someone else's injectors and IP under my truck's hood. I'd feel absolutely honor-bound to report regularly in this thread until I've found a way to "pay it back" somehow.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
"Yet?"

Personally, I've kinda ruled it out the moment I realized that Linus had had enough internet access time to redact two lengthy Craigslist ads in the hopes of selling his truck around the 20th of September, but did not take an extra minute to pop on here to say hello to the guys whose incredible generosity made it possible for him to be there in the first place...

By this point it's hard to fail to notice that he comes here only when he needs info (or, worse, parts).

I'd love to be wrong, but with what we've seen, what's for sure is that he definitely doesn't behave like I personally would if I had someone else's injectors and IP under my truck's hood. I'd feel absolutely honor-bound to report regularly in this thread until I've found a way to "pay it back" somehow.
Yeah, unfortunately tihs dude's behavior, or lack thereof, have only more solidified my opinion that human nature tends to be self serving. I wouldn't give this guy the time of day, let alone a part to help him out. he got what he needed and moved on. Parasitic at best.

Hope ya make it Linus. karma is an absolute bi***

For those of you that helped this guy, and you were many with knowledge, parts, time, and money, thank you for keeping faith. I have learned from watching you.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Anybody got any further news on what happened to Linus?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I have not heard from him at all. I never got my IP back, either. I'm sure he has long forgotten about us by now. Oh well, so much for helping out a stranger.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

Eaton how you been???

Quick Reply: California or Bust! Long odds and good times!