Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

California or Bust! Long odds and good times!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 AM
linus72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's getting better all the time

I have a real job offer in Ontario, California!

I also now have about 200 gal of wvo and about 30 gal of kero!
almost enough for a round-trip

Just dig it that all of this could just be a two-week vacation across the US, or it could be a disaster, or it could be an opportunity that I need.

I am not a person that dwells on making "plans" or caring about such things-
that way when the s*&^ hits the fan I already understand that Murphy's Law is always in effect and you have to take the hand dealt to you.

Adventure (and misadventure) is alot more exciting than dying slowly in Virginia...

Getting ready to be 40 soon and I need a change!

One thing is for sure- all you guys will be seeing real-life results of long-term running of wvo, kero, oil, etc in a non-converted diesel!
Testbed!!

and if she blows up- I'll include graphical pics of the carnage!

I have nothing to lose and everything to gain, I'm rollin the dice!
I do that alot actually

Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Im not sure, thats just what he said, hes working 2 on 2 off driving water truck, and in his 2 off he throws up a house and says he made 80k in the 6 months hes been up there.

Me? Im a mechanic for a landscapin shop in boise. But im getting ready to head to winnemucca for a core drillin job, $16 / hr 82hrs a week, x1.5 OT, FULL benefits upon hire, 2 on 1 off, + $75 /day perdium and paid fuel to get to and from nevada/idaho. Not my dream job, but if i can work my way into a mechanic position ill stay no matter how much i hate nevada. If not, well in a year or two ill have at least enough to make a sizable down payment or pay off a house. Plan is to buy a house since the market is in the crapper, and let someone else pay it off for me while im out of state... thats the plan anyway.

As far as ND... there is alot of talk that that "boom" will be there for the next 20+ years, they havent invented flying cars that run on water yet, and until they do were going to need oil and ALOT of it... its speculated there is more oil around ND than saudi arabia. As far as nevada goes, the company ill be working for is in gold exploration. The biggest mine in nevada is closing, and possibly the richest vane yet is opening up, so theres gold to be found and i plan to help do the finding. With the big mine going away companies are looking hard... Expect gold to shoot up again. They just signed 10 year contracts with 4 different companies.
Barrick, by chance?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
linus72
Senior User
The Big Day is tomorrow!

Going first to Woodland, Ca and then down to LA/Riverside area where I have 3 job offers

check out the mods to the beast-

5 sheets of OSB with some donor paint made the box
6' roof height!

Made the back doors out of brown tarp ala old-school military style

the juice!

Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful. All you need is some snoopy cop to get curious about what you have back there and you could face fines for untaxed fuel. You might be better off with a solid door and a lock. It would keep suspicion down and make it harder for a cop to just peak in and he would need probable cause before he makes you unlock it. Not many work trucks with boxed in beds have tarps for doors. It just arouses suspicion. In the south, you might be suspected of favela transport.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that cargo strap holding the box to the utility bed or did it just happen to get in the picture?
If it is, get some plates, bolts, nuts and washers to tie that thing down. Double nut everything and use lock washers. If that thing decides to sail in a crosswind its gonna take someones' head off.
Good idea on a set of conventional looking doors too. Some cop WILL see that and decide it warrants a closer look.
And good luck, seriously.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by linus72
The Big Day is tomorrow!

Going first to Woodland, Ca and then down to LA/Riverside area where I have 3 job offers

check out the mods to the beast-

5 sheets of OSB with some donor paint made the box
6' roof height!

Made the back doors out of brown tarp ala old-school military style

the juice!

best of luck on ur trip

Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 PM
charleswood6969
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your route plans?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 PM
cornking
Senior User
When you get to CA pm me. I am not far from Riverside. Maybe we could hook up.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If you don't put some locking doors on the back of that truck, you will be stoped by the CHP here in california. If you record is clear, I'm sure it is , you will not have a problem with a search. If not, trouble. Just trying to help, God bless and have a safe trip.

Chet

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Not to mention the mandatory highway stop on I40. Felt like I was leaving the country to get into California!

Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 AM
cornking
Senior User
Originally Posted by swooshcmk
Not to mention the mandatory highway stop on I40. Felt like I was leaving the country to get into California!
CA is a big farming state. That is an agriculture checkpoint. They try to keep pests out from other States that could destroy farm crops. They are on all the major highways coming into the State.

Sometimes the Border Patrol will set up looking for illegals.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cornking
CA is a big farming state. That is an agriculture checkpoint. They try to keep pests out from other States that could destroy farm crops. They are on all the major highways coming into the State.
Yes, they confiscated all of my ex-wifes' house plants when we moved to Truckee in the early 80s.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM
linus72
Senior User
hey guys

good news is I'm in Wells Nevada

bad news is the truck got warm, not hot, going up a mountain and that somehow killed the glowplug on the drivers side rearmost cylinder!

I tried removing the gp but it is stuck fast

then, while trying to pull it out of the block I ended up snapping the threaded end off the rearmost return line plastic cap!

so, now it wont start, have to somehow fix the return line cap, remove the GP or find some way to start it without GP, and not even with starting fluid it wont start

I know I'm not supposed to use starting fluid but I'm stuck here with like $60 in my pocket
I'm stranded and in dire straits but at least the blue brick made it this far and I havent spent a dime on diesel

it won't start because of that one glow plug?!

it is getting fuel and I have cracked all lines, etc trying to purge air.

I did have change the filter as it got plugged along the way, ever since I put a new filter on it wont start and is also making a whoofing/thumping noise thrugh the intake...

I have heard this sound before but not its a little louder.

I'm thinking of how to get the GP out and how to fix the plastic cap where the threaded end got broke off.

maybe some kind of epoxy, etc for the plastic cap till I get to cali or have funds to buy a whole kit.

I have no idea how to remove the GP, I tried pulling on it and levering with a fork tool to no effect. it wobbles in the hole but wont come out...

I have about 500 miles to go and have almost made it, if I could only get it going...

Plan B is scrapping it or parting it out.

Are any of you guys near Wells Nevada?

If so do you know of anyone hiring short term or needs some kind of help around the ranch, lol?

my cell phone doesn't work here either....

thanks for any help!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
how hot was hot

Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM
linus72
Senior User
thanks for answering

it got to the A where it says \ NORMAL /

no steam or anything like that, also started after that once in cold morning on GP's
but then afterwards it wouldn't start without starting fluid...
now it wont start at all and I have killed both batteries

I think there is a Napa about 3-5miles down I-80 but dont know if they will charge the batteries?

I must invent someway to pull the GP out but everything I've tried so far doesnt work...

If I could just get 1 injector cap and have it start I would not turn it off till california, lol

Quick Reply: California or Bust! Long odds and good times!