Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The Lone Ranger Build...Dakota Style!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BORDERBUM
Very nice story with your build/restore!!! I like where you are going with it so far. If it was my Dad's truck I would have done tires, wheels, and a lift just as you have done, then take the rest back to original or the way "Dad" had it. The washer hose was pretty funny!
Thanks Jeff. I don't want to do too many "upgrades" to make it like a 2013. I have the '04 F-150 for that. When I get home this weekend, I need to figure out the transfer case issue. I was plaing with the 4wd in the driveway and got the damn thing stuck in neutral. Hopefully it's just gummed up and nothing broke inside it. Can't wait to get back on it!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked your tnt comment, that's kinda where I'm at with mine at the moment! I haven't threatened her with buying a chevy yet...

Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
ramrod912
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hows it goin Chief, i like the 33's you put on your pickup. im in the navy also, im deployed in bahrain at the moment. i just bought a 73 ford and i wanna put the same size tire on my truck as well. so what im askin is how much did you have to lift the truck in the front or all the way around to fit the 33's?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Originally Posted by ramrod912
hows it goin Chief, i like the 33's you put on your pickup. im in the navy also, im deployed in bahrain at the moment. i just bought a 73 ford and i wanna put the same size tire on my truck as well. so what im askin is how much did you have to lift the truck in the front or all the way around to fit the 33's?
Ramrod, No lift yet. The right front sags about 1.5 inches from the left side due to old springs but they clear with no rubbing. They are wild country TXR's, 33x12.50-15's and they were a Craigslist deal for $400. The guy had em on a '70 Bronco. I do have a 4 inch RCD lift to put under it and then might need 35's so it doesn't look funny. Thanks for serving and keep safe overthere!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Veterans Day Update!

First off, Thank you to all that have served and to my current Brothers and Sisters in Arms currently serving! Now, after tinkering with the truck for the past few months, working on other projects, seeing everyone elses projects and spending 6+weeks between August and September helping train our new Navy Chiefs of class 120, I decided to take advantage of a rare dry Washington day and tear into the front of the Lone Ranger and start installing my RCD lift. I will admit that from all the other's posts (HIO Silver) that I was hesitant. (found the reciept in the box, 3/13/13!) So here it goes...

Pic #1, The goodies!
Pic #2, Ready to start surgery.
Pic #3, The carnage!
Pic #4, Ace mechanic! (NOT)
Pic #5, Testing the 33s against Mrs. Dakotariders '06 Exploder. (She was not impressed)

So, when I ran out of daylight around 5pm or so, I had all the old stuff removed and was starting to install the new bushings. Had the ones at the end of the arms installed and was putting the C bushings in but couldn't get the 2 halfs together and then remembered that the Distructions called for a come-a-long to "aid" in getting the axle pulled back. So, I will borrow one tomorrow. Ended up gathering up my tools and calling it a night. Weather forcast for the week... rain. I will get it done!

Attached Images      
Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Got home from work today and got right into the front end. Used a come a long and tie down strap to pull the axle back into the radius arm and got the clamps on. Also got the track bar off and installed new bushings. Had to get creative and drill out the rubber bushings! Got the new ones in and track bar back on. Got it all back together except for the springs and shocks. The RCD instructions said tha t the bottom spring holders need to be modified but I don't know how how much to cut off. Also, I think I need to get some spring compressors to get these beasts installed! Any inputs would be appreciated!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 AM
tstone712
Junior User
Originally Posted by dakotarider
If you all are following Jexes build, he found a mustard pack and we had a little discussion on who has found older stuff hiding which could lead to a whole new post like the wheels. Anyway, I found an IGA match book in the left side of the dash and also at least 3 30-30 shell casings under the seat. I know that dad last used the truck for a hunting rig somewhere around 1980-85. I also do not remember an IGA in my area so who knows were the matches came from.

Back to you Jexes!
In one of my trucks I dropped a pack of smokes down the b pillar by accident when I had the seat belt our. Then the truck got stolen, so if there is anyone our there who found a pack of Salems in a b pillar let me know, I want the truck and smokes back!!!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:56 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
More Progress!

Well, after not getting much accomplished after work this week, I got back after it this morning. Here in the Pacific North Wet, we had rain on the horizion and temps were around 45 or so. I had to run to the local parts store to rent a spring compressor due to 21 inches of spring in a 16 inch hole. So, got going with the passenger side and the bottom spring cup would not cooperate with me. Had to bend out the entire flange of the cup so the new spring would fit and also cut about 4 inches of the front side to get rid of the ramp area (called for in the instructions). Once I had spent several hours getting the pass side to work, the drivers side went together quickly. Got the shock and tires back on and WOW, what a difference! Come morning, I will attack the rear end to level it out. Here is the progress!

Attached Images    
Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Looking good, stay at it. Your dad would be proud of your persistence to make it nicer, I'm sure.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
First off, Thank you to all that have served and to my current Brothers and Sisters in Arms currently serving! Now, after tinkering with the truck for the past few months, working on other projects, seeing everyone elses projects and spending 6+weeks between August and September helping train our new Navy Chiefs of class 120, I decided to take advantage of a rare dry Washington day and tear into the front of the Lone Ranger and start installing my RCD lift. I will admit that from all the other's posts (HIO Silver) that I was hesitant. (found the reciept in the box, 3/13/13!) So here it goes...

Pic #1, The goodies!
Pic #2, Ready to start surgery.
Pic #3, The carnage!
Pic #4, Ace mechanic! (NOT)
Pic #5, Testing the 33s against Mrs. Dakotariders '06 Exploder. (She was not impressed)

So, when I ran out of daylight around 5pm or so, I had all the old stuff removed and was starting to install the new bushings. Had the ones at the end of the arms installed and was putting the C bushings in but couldn't get the 2 halfs together and then remembered that the Distructions called for a come-a-long to "aid" in getting the axle pulled back. So, I will borrow one tomorrow. Ended up gathering up my tools and calling it a night. Weather forcast for the week... rain. I will get it done!

'Not clear on what ya mean.

IMO, there is no substitute for actually "doing". Am glad to see its' getting done!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
off topic..

HIO what size boot you wear?

back on topic.....

Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM
dakotarider
Tuned
Thanks for the comments guys! HIO, what I was hesitant about was all the South Dakota mud, rocks and rust because it had sounded like your lift was difficult. I was sure that I would have many broken bolts and hours spent with an easy out. But with a can of WD-40's new spray with "Blue Torch Technology", I was able to get everything out with ease. Not sure if that perticular WD-40 helped or not but hey, it's back together! My morning has already been derailed due to my daughter having a blow out last night, mama going to retreive her (60) mile round trip and me making a 8am run to Wally World for a $100 tire. Now we have to go get her car. Duties of the Dad is never done!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys! HIO, what I was hesitant about was all the South Dakota mud, rocks and rust because it had sounded like your lift was difficult. I was sure that I would have many broken bolts and hours spent with an easy out. But with a can of WD-40's new spray with "Blue Torch Technology", I was able to get everything out with ease. Not sure if that perticular WD-40 helped or not but hey, it's back together! My morning has already been derailed due to my daughter having a blow out last night, mama going to retreive her (60) mile round trip and me making a 8am run to Wally World for a $100 tire. Now we have to go get her car. Duties of the Dad is never done!
Oh I see. The lift per se wasn't difficult. It was Superlift's inability to ship what had been ordered.

Bummage about the flat.... 2x with getting derailed. I need to head out and pick up batteries for my self-dimming welding helmet... your first guess on finding out the batteries were dead don't count!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:15 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
I don't know how the heck I've missed this thread over the last year but stranger things have happened.
I just read it all.
I dig your connection with your truck. It seems most of us have a similar type attachment to our rides. Keep it in your family always.
Love that your mom missed the truck when you first took it away.
Your build is very familiar. I kind of relived my build along with you. Especially now that I just finished my suspension.
Keep at it and keep the pics coming.
Sorry I didn't see it earlier.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Originally Posted by turbohunter
I don't know how the heck I've missed this thread over the last year but stranger things have happened.
I just read it all.
I dig your connection with your truck. It seems most of us have a similar type attachment to our rides. Keep it in your family always.
Love that your mom missed the truck when you first took it away.
Your build is very familiar. I kind of relived my build along with you. Especially now that I just finished my suspension.
Keep at it and keep the pics coming.
Sorry I didn't see it earlier.
No chance on ever leaving the Family! My son will get it once my days are done and he has a daughter to get it after that. BUT before that can happen, it WILL be my 7 year old daughters high school vehicle! She don't know it yet but it will! My plans for tomorrow (Friday) is to hit the local bone yard to get the ti rods and steering box frim a 78-79 to fit on it and i fit is not available, drive to a couple yards here in western WA to find the bounty! I need a drop pitman arm to correct the angle of the steering and I figured no better time than now to get it done. Also need to order the extended brake lines from JBG ( 10% off online orders, got the email!). I need to get it out this weekend to get a "hood shot" for NBC Steve's thread!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Lone Ranger Build...Dakota Style!