Sponsored by: Moser

The Lone Ranger Build...Dakota Style!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dakotarider
Now I have a delima, do I get it boiled out at a radiator shop or buy a new tank?
That's pretty nasty. New tanks are relatively cheap; if you can that would be the way to go.

Can be ordered thru many parts houses; look for one that includes the sender. I did a quick search on ebay. Here's one listing on ebay without a sender:

New Fuel Tank Gas Rear Silver F150 Truck F250 F350 Ford F-150 79 78 77 76 75 Car | eBay

and

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-100

Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I had to replace my tank as well. $127 at O'Reily's.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
gpence
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a new tank & sending unit from LMC. think it was almost $240. Kick myself since I turned around and bought a 76 parts truck 2 weeks later with a good tank in it. LOL

Old 06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I cried today

Not only did I just shell out almost $300 for a tank and the entire supporting cast of items, but after dumping the 13 gallons of gas at $4.2199 here in WA ($54.86) I felt a little light in the wallet!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Busy summer!

Well, Where to begin? First off, I apoligize to those who have subscribed to follow the build but after a busy summer of Navy Life, and tinkering here and there like most of you, I need to get caught up! I have been working a carb issue, rebuilt the original ( at least the one on the truck), picked up a second one off a 73, rebuilt that one, tore both apart to swap parts due to compatability and installed. I was hoping for the "magic" to happen, fire it up, all is well. But no. Fired it up and it is SCREAMING at I guess 4-6 Grand!! Nothing I do will bring the idle down. I disconneted the linkage, backed off the choke adjustments and loosened up the idle soilonoid. I have a Ford friend that I need to have come over and help with the issue. My next thing is to buy some TNT, drop back and punt! Just kidding. More to follow.......................

Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 AM
ZP3
Senior User
"Subscribed" Love a Dentside 4x4 build :-)

Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
My next thing is to buy some TNT, drop back and punt! Just kidding. More to follow.......................
That is a completely normal feeling to have when you own one of these old trucks...

Thanks for the update.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Fired it up and it is SCREAMING at I guess 4-6 Grand!! Nothing I do will bring the idle down.
Glad to see you're back on your project, looking forward to progress and updates.
On the idle/carb issue, make sure the throttle is fully closing. I've seen bent throttle shafts keep the throttle from fully closing, it looks like it's closed but its not.
If that checks okay then I would check for a big vacuum leak including "hidden" leaks. A sneaky one is a bad brake booster, another, with factory A/C, are the vacuum switches on the A/C control panel under the dash.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
crrnchris
Senior User
I loved seeing the rear glass removed...I need to pull mine. I have surface rust as well. I don't know how bad yet. Love the rims too!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
advice

Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Glad to see you're back on your project, looking forward to progress and updates.
On the idle/carb issue, make sure the throttle is fully closing. I've seen bent throttle shafts keep the throttle from fully closing, it looks like it's closed but its not.
If that checks okay then I would check for a big vacuum leak including "hidden" leaks. A sneaky one is a bad brake booster, another, with factory A/C, are the vacuum switches on the A/C control panel under the dash.
Mike, I am glad that you are following! I had to build 1 out of 2 carbs due to the new one coming from a manual and had no kick down lever. I was nervous about a little "wiggle" in the bar going thru the carb body and that may be the problem. I had to combine both carbs togetrher to make one that was compatable and now am having second thoughts. I want to go back to the beginning and start over but am too far past that. I have replace the thin gasket between the intake manifold and spacer along with the thick one between the spacer and the carb. I have tried starting the truck with and with out the airfiter installed. No matter what I do, it gets worst! It actually ran better a year ago with old gas, a rusty tank, and tons of **** in the carb along with the fuel system! I need to get it running before I pull the motor for the winter. I need some since of accomplishment!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM
dakotarider
Tuned
Back-fit Update

Wow! I had to re-read my posts to see where I had left off. First, non truck upates, I am in the Navy, took some leave in June-July to go see family back in South Dakota. Drug the 25' camper with the '04 F-150, gas mileage was about 8-12mpg! (2,800 mi rd trip). Then it was off to Japan to visit one of our squadrons there for an inspection. Had a good time since I had not been there since 1994. Still can't speak the language but can point at a picture on the menu! Prior to Japan, moved to a new house so Mrs Dakotarider was busy setting up the house along with me getting all the "outside" stuff set up. With my Navy job, I do a lot of inspections on squadrons so between travel and "domestic duties", it takes away from truck building. And to think, I thought that being on "shore duty" I would have time for myself! Being married for over 20 years, I should have known better! So, now that all you followers know what I have been up to, maybe we can get the Lone Ranger up and runnin'. By the way, I went Deer hunting back in SD from 10-19 Nov. Irony is that a big Mulie Buck RAN INTO MY 04 F-150! ******* caused $2,900 in damages! Killed a big White tail to take revenge!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Carb update

Well, after dropping back to punt (and wait for the rain to let up some) I was able to tear the carb back apart on Christmas Eve and combine both the newer one and the original into a new attempt. Broke one of the butterfly screws and luckily I was on the bench and had a spare to work with. After getting it back on the truck with new gaskets and using a torque wrench this time, buttoned everything up and PRESTO, it ran! After some more tinkering to adjust things out, we actually went for a drive around town (6-8 miles) and all was well. Now, I will take it out again after work tomorrow for a confidence run before getting to far from home. Next up, with weather permitting, windshield gasket!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Congrats man! Bet that ride around town felt good.

Oh, I like to deer hunt with the car/truck too... ammo is pretty pricey these days, I think the insurance deductible might be cheaper, lol.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
2013 Update!

Well, once again, I read everyones updates and forget to do my own. Here we are in Feb and I have to share my craigslist steal. Got a grille with inserts for $75. Gave the guy his asking price because I couldn't keep my poker face and did a backflip so I think he knew I was happy! Ole boy had a 75 f-150 parts truck and I got the deal. oh wait one, the truck had aluminum slots on it and I then asked to trade wheels since it was going to be scrapped and this is what I got for FREE!!!! Also got a FREE bonus "RANGER" logo for the rear bed side. I will sell the tires to get my $75 back. His goal was the motor which was a 460 that he is building into a 429 cobra jet for his honeys mustang. Like the Duck Commanders, we are both "Happy, Happy, Happy"!

Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM
'86 F150
Senior User
Thats cool you are keeping it in the family. The new wheels look great on it. What kind of 5 slots are those in your last post? Nice score.

Quick Reply: The Lone Ranger Build...Dakota Style!