1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

need some input guy's

Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Be mindful too that 52 would make an excellent cheap DD. If the engine runs good, consider installing a new clutch and drive. You won't find anything cheaper. Evaluate that thing, suspension, brakes, etc. You might get it reliably on the road for less than you would pay in taxes on a different vehicle.
So far as not starting, that should not be a major problem, they're simple. Now, if some one has sugared the tank, expect to do a bit of work there. And yes, sugar or syrup will cause major problems, I don't give a damn what Snopes or whomever says to the contrary. I've been thru the sugar thing twice, a tractor and my son's Chebby 2.8. The sugar must mix with any moisture in the tank or gas and deposits a sticky caramel like coating in the induction system and valves and the result 'ain't' pretty. It leaves no permanent damage but what a mess to clean up.
So before you go off looking for a reliable DD, look long and hard at the 52.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm calming down a little , but i still am wondering what the hades i'm doing with all these broken down old cars . i think a lot of it is just the long hours at work and no time for anything else . i got a day off today so ....... jeff yeah brenda has that 08 uplander , and it's a priority that she has a new vehicle when it is time , as she lugs around the kids and grand kids . i got a problem as i jumped into the bird this am and run a couple of errands and damn thing was really acting aggressive and singing loud and hard . makes it herd to get rid of it . i really think i need to slim it down . european cars i like . volks , jags etc , they dont bother me at all . i'm gonna keep myself thinking for a bit , and when i come to a conclusion the cars are gonna have to go to a good home or they'll sit and rust . i wont have them torn up by a maroon ...... if the 17 year old son is willing to get dirty , he needs a ride might give the bird to him . he reminds me of me when i was that age , and i ran from the law , drove like a madman possessed , and was racing dirt cars so i dunno considering the speeds that turd can actually run .........................

Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile Good choice

Originally Posted by 55 f350
. . . yeah im kinda looking at a fiat 500 . i want a gt stang bad but i cant have a no frills big motor manual trans 4 wheel disc stripper . gotta take what THEY waht to sell you . havi i understand but in dealing with turd bird i am beginning to understand it's electronics and such . thundersnow i don't really want to part with anything , but the 53 is the one for me . i love that old truck like no other and it's staying here no matter what !!!!! the 52 is a really nice old car but i have got too many things going on . ax that old bird is a cruiser but i have stuck to or passed the **** of many sporty types whether through luck or my lack of a sense of self preservation. i drag raced it a little too . it's a solid car , but ......... ireally like driving the 52 but i am tired of fixing crap all the time . still window shopping as it were but the price and the in ability to buy what i want , not what they specify , is killing off a lot of stuff . no matter what any car of asian decent , no matter where it was built , or who they are affiliated with will never be in my vision or drive way ........ and used cars are out of favor too as i am tired of fixing other peeps problems just to drive them . we shall see . i am just looking for input or ideas . it all comes down to me and a decision that one way or another could haunt me . if i do the 52 will not be sold to anyone unless i am sure they are not gonne hack it up and respect it and give it a good home . the 76 stang went to the crusher a week ago ................................
I understand having too many irons in the fire and not enough money to live in a manner to which you would like to become accustomed. I bought a Fiat 500 a couple months ago. I was skeptical too given Fiat's past performance but then BMW hasn't been very good either in the past. And of course we don't want to go on about the Jaguar Vindaloo. But my Fiat 500 is great. The price was right, the fuel economy is good and it rides and handles better than most cars its size or larger. It also comes with a lot of things standard that are options on other models. The engine is made in Dundee, Michigan and the final assembly is in the new Chrysler plant in Toluca Mexico to the west of Mexico City. I think that is a good choice.

For me the Mustang GT is way too small in the interior (Hertz tried to give me a new GT a couple weeks ago - I gave it back to them) and the the Mini is OK if you don't have a head.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain, man. My newest rig is a '78. for the same reasons Havi said, I like 'em old as they are easier to fix. But... the downside is that they are aging and more fixing is usually needed. I get hit with tri-fectas of vehicle breakdowns from time to time. You see I keep at least 2 rigs up and going (or attempt to) to serve as a DD or backup. Right now is the '76 Shortwide and the '69 F100. The '78 F100 SCab, which has a brand new $2800 460 in it now has bent pushrods and a dead hole, happened in Aug of 2011. None of which is caused by abuse, and has been sitting ever since. A month or so ago, both went down (the '76 and the '69) in the same week. P/S pump in one, busted shift collar in the other. Sooo... i limped the busted shift collar one until I got the p/s pump changed. After that i fixed the collar in the other. Both trucks still need a pile of work. The '76's floors are rotted through big time and the 460 is gettin tired. The '69's 351W has a weird vibration and has a 1/2 done paint job i started over 10 years ago.
Add to that, I'm a single dad with 2 kids so time to spend keeping up (or advancing) on all this crap is next to non-existent. Fortunately I have a 3-bay shop i can crash-land this garbage into until I can find a little time to deal with it. But i feel ya... seems like a freaking merry-go-round of broken vehicles. I too have entertained a massive sell-off and move to a newer truck. However, i just can't bring myself to do it. Don't want the payments, newer-car repair headaches, or one more hulk layin around here.

You're just gonna have to decide for yourself, what's important. I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone. Probably a lot more of us than we think.

Ironically i too have a '53 Crestline and a '53 Mainline, both project cars.

On your '52, you might want to try rodding out your pickup tube in the gas tank. I found mine all plugged up with rust and corrosion and the tank wasn't even rusty! Seems as if the pickup tube itself is just mild steel, and not stainless. After I rodded mine out and cleaned out the tank once more, seems to work like a champ. If not, just start from the front and work your way back. You'll find the blockage. Could even be a torn diaphragm on the fuel pump too.
As for the clutch parts, old stuff is gettin harder and harder to find, certainly over-the-counter. I had to scrounge up brake parts from 3 different parts houses just to go through all the brakes on the Mainline.

Choice is up to you, just don't let it stress you out.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Alright Dano - You gave me another chance to show off my engine ignorance. You mention "bent push rods & a deadhole" up above - we are having trouble with our 351W engine with bent push rods - What's a deadhole?

Ben in Austin

Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ben-
Dead hole= It means I'm not building compression in that cylinder anymore.
For me, could be a few things in relation to the bent pushrod.
1. a bent intake or exhaust valve
2. hole in the piston
3. crack or hole in the head
4. Valves not bent but otherwise stuck open in guides
In my case i played with it a little bit, doing some tests. Went a step further after the compression test and hooked a leakdown tester to it. Naturally, pegged the gauge but that was expected. The point of this is to 'hear' where the leakage is going or coming from. In my case, i was hearing a lot of noise out of the exhaust. At that point i stopped, figuring that pulling the head was the next step and i didn't want to tackle that just yet.
Back story is I went out to start it one morning (after driving it the previous night) and it sounded as if only 1/2 the carb was operating. Later that day, after several tests i found my #5 cyl was dead. And i mean DEAD.

What's the deal with your 351W? Shoot me a PM if you want to or you can post it up on another topic.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sell while wandering about yesterday doing errands , the bird might have sealed it's fate . it broke the right front upper ball joint . i'm gonna have to sink too much into it to bring it back with the suspension , a radiator , the valve guides are going away as she'll give out a puff once in awhile .... on and on . i really don't wanna part with the customline , and my 53 effie is not going anywhere , but it may come down to it i may sell it . gotta talk to the wife and see whats up , and yep the clutch and some other things are a carpenter only deal and some things are a bear too find . i want to spend the time and money on my baby , and that's the decision. i am gonna see if maybe i can put the 52 away in storage for a wee bit and see what happens , let the plates go and put storage insurance on it . prolly not gonna happen . i got a couple guys here wanting to look at it or want it ( so homemade if your reading me get hold of me as you were first inline ! ) and my unk joe , a city worker who stopped bye and asked , and a cable repair man who did the same . so i don't think selling it will be hard . right now ford has nothing i want , and i want new , no more used i gotta fix , as my 53 is my project , and nothing on the dodge lot . won't walk onto a gm anything lot .the stang gt is my dream , but they and the trucks , and challengers etc... are just way overpriced . so now for some more deep thought and a talk with the wife ......