Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
New User

Jskinner125 is starting off with a positive reputation.
shuts off

I have 2002 with the 7.3 PSD, i fueled up thursday at the same place I always do. Friday afternoon I was leaving a parking lot when i went around the corner the truck just shut off. I tried restarting it several times but no luck. after about 45 mins. it started right up and idled good. Got about 1-1/2 miles down the road and it did the same thing. i towed it home and replaced the cps and drove it around a couple of miles. as soon as i pulled up to my house it shut off again. and would not start. It is not showing any codes. if i let it sit for a while it will start back up again. HELP PLEASE!!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskinner125 View Post
I have 2002 with the 7.3 PSD, i fueled up thursday at the same place I always do. Friday afternoon I was leaving a parking lot when i went around the corner the truck just shut off. I tried restarting it several times but no luck. after about 45 mins. it started right up and idled good. Got about 1-1/2 miles down the road and it did the same thing. i towed it home and replaced the cps and drove it around a couple of miles. as soon as i pulled up to my house it shut off again. and would not start. It is not showing any codes. if i let it sit for a while it will start back up again. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I would try the CPS, again..

My name is Pat, i have not purchased a firearm in 2
day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskinner125 View Post

What did you use to check the codes? a standard OBDII will not work on these trucks.
Is it raining or very wet when this happened?

PAA Member #123
1991 F-150 inline 6
2001 F-250 7.3 Crewcab 4x4
BTS-Trans , 6.0 Trans Cooler, SuperChip, K&N Filter
Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Disconnect the ICP sensor and see if it does the same thing.

As Les pointed out, you need to pull codes with something other than a generic OBD II reader. AE with Ford Package works.

If it still does it with the ICP sensor unplugged, I would look towards an IPR. I would pay to have codes pulled first though. An IPR is about $200

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
is a BAAAD MAN

Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
Was the cps you tried a new one?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Of the next Riffraff East

zx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant future
More important, is the replacement CPS a ford or IH one or one of the POC that parts stores sell?
Pete's Filter Covers~ Roadside Help Network~ Riffraff Diesel Performance
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Also check the wires on the IPR. Sometime they ware thur and short out. It cuts the HPO out and won't run the injectors. Just a thought.

Chet
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
New User

Jskinner125 is starting off with a positive reputation.
shutts off

Hey guys just an update, it is a cps from a parts store, not from ford. It ran fine all week until Wednesday night I was driving it and it shut off again. It gives no warning just shuts off as if you turned the key off. When you try to restart it will not start, it acts like it's not getting fuel. If you let it sit for about 45 mins or so it will start right back up and idles perfect and runs good. I don't think it's a fuel problem b/c it never runs ruff or anything. it runs perfect until it shuts off. I drive 60 miles per day for work so that was around 200 miles or so that I drove before it cut off on Wednesday. I have it at a local shop right now but they can't seem to find the problem either. What is the "IRP"? I really appreciate ya'll taking the time to try and help me.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
The IPR is the Injection Pressure Regulator. It is the regulator that controls the high pressure oil to the heads and injectors.

You may want to get a $20 CPS from Ford. They are less likely to have issues than the part store ones. You may also have a wire issue. Wires often chafe and can cause intermittent issues. Look closely at the harness connector at the valve cover area on the drivers side.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2001, 73, cuts, diesel, ford, safety, shut, sterling