Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Whiskey tango foxtrot.
Lima Oscar Lima!

Yeah that certainly looks like another bad PCM. I think we need to know where these PCMs came from. I am guessing it is Auto Computer Exchange in Davie Florida, but that's just because they're the only ones other than Pensicola Diesel that I know of in Florida that do this kind of work. This site provides a lot of information to people who are trying to fix their issues and I for one would like to make sure that we are recommending a reputable company.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Email Jody and see if he has one you can buy from him.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:27 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Lima Oscar Lima!

Yeah that certainly looks like another bad PCM. I think we need to know where these PCMs came from. I am guessing it is Auto Computer Exchange in Davie Florida, but that's just because they're the only ones other than Pensicola Diesel that I know of in Florida that do this kind of work. This site provides a lot of information to people who are trying to fix their issues and I for one would like to make sure that we are recommending a reputable company.
..Bingo...
Sending this unit off to another troubleshooter, and I 'll post the results. But, ACE is doing this too themselves - bad rep and all - and I agree, we share the good with the not-so-good...bad product and bad service can kill an business quickly...

Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mq1shooter
..Bingo...
Sending this unit off to another troubleshooter, and I 'll post the results. But, ACE is doing this too themselves - bad rep and all - and I agree, we share the good with the not-so-good...bad product and bad service can kill an business quickly...
There are a lot of bad places out there that get a LOT of advertisement and people backing them, even though they are crooks.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
just want this crossed off my "to-do-list" I have other things, I.....I mean the truck needs...

Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
There are a lot of bad places out there that get a LOT of advertisement and people backing them, even though they are crooks.
Oh, I don't know. PCM's are hard to troubleshoot, especially if it a connection problem. I would like to think the vendor bench tested the unit and if so how would they know if an intermittent problem was apparent, if it did not show up on their tests. That's the issue when purchasing reconditioned products ... you take a chance. I see it all the time at work so when I send an item back to a vendor the complete description on the issue is given with the request if no problems are found to please scrap the item, or at least don't send it back to me.

Warranty and phone support are different issues though ...

Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Hussler
Oh, I don't know. PCM's are hard to troubleshoot, especially if it a connection problem. I would like to think the vendor bench tested the unit and if so how would they know if an intermittent problem was apparent, if it did not show up on their tests. That's the issue when purchasing reconditioned products ... you take a chance. I see it all the time at work so when I send an item back to a vendor the complete description on the issue is given with the request if no problems are found to please scrap the item, or at least don't send it back to me.

I was speaking as a generalism in aftermarket companies.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:57 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hussler

I agree with parts failing, even new parts, I am in the equipment service / repair business and things break, new. And we "take care" of our customers, 'cause we know it takes a LOT of work to replace just one...Bad service travels quick...but no customer service response kinda say's it all....

Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think the best thing to do would be to put the PCM in another running truck and see if the same problem can be duplicated. It shouldn't be hard to test now that you can recreate the issue. I guess it is possible that there might be an issue with a loose connection on your truck and testing it this way would be the only way to determine that unless you can swap another known good PCM into your truck from another truck and try it.

Thanks for letting us know the name of the company. I will stop recommending them, or at least advise that consumers use caution when and if they do use that company.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I would think the best thing to do would be to put the PCM in another running truck and see if the same problem can be duplicated. It shouldn't be hard to test now that you can recreate the issue. I guess it is possible that there might be an issue with a loose connection on your truck and testing it this way would be the only way to determine that unless you can swap another known good PCM into your truck from another truck and try it.

Thanks for letting us know the name of the company. I will stop recommending them, or at least advise that consumers use caution when and if they do use that company.
Good call Nate. And yes I havent heard anything but good things about that company, but sometimes they change owner or administrator and change everything. IDK.