Sponsored by: Moser

Squirrel Cage Retrofit... maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Derfus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squirrel Cage Retrofit... maybe

Ok I've been looking around on different parts sites and figured it's about time I contributed something around here so heres what I'm gonna try:

My truck is a 1978 F150 Supercab 4x4 (short bed ) and from what I've been reading on the sites like autozone the shaft size on the blower motor is 5/16. The shaft size on a blower motor on a early 90's F150 is also 5/16. There is a difference on the shaft length between the two but I figured I could drag the ole dewalt drill out and put a hole for the set screw in the 90's model blower wheel. The wheel i'm looking at is plastic and made slightly different than the 78's wheel. Due to less weight and a better fin design I'm betting the retrofit wheel will put out more air as the 90's model trucks air blows MUCH harder than mine does at the moment.

I plan to attack this first thing in the morning so anyone who has any ideas feel free to chime in!!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I replaced my 79's blower motor a couple of years ago I wondered about this, but didn't have time to try modding anything. I just had to get it fixed and back on the road.

Please keep us updated on what you find out and how well it works. I'm planning on rebuilding a '74 in the fairly near future and would like the A/C system to be the best it can be. If this works as you think it will, this would be a great and relatively easy A/C upgrade.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am sure you can make it work, But one thing to consider is the speed of the motor and the other is how much junk, trash, leaves etc has gotten into the heater/ ac coils of the 1978 and limiting air flow. Even maybe a build up of dirt on the cage fins. I am interested too so let us know how it works out.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Derfus
Senior User
Well I started today with a new blower motor for both my 78 and a 93, the squirrel cage for a 93 and the 78's cage will be here first thing in the morning. I did some experimenting and after a little dremel work the 93's cage puts off more air than my old set up did BUT I'd have to make a spacer to set the motor back so that the cage doesnt rub the outer housing. Both the motor and the cage look original so I'll have to wait for the new cage to try it and see if the retro set up puts off more air.

I pulled the whole Ac box out of the truck and am replacing everything I can. There was very little trash in the ac evap and heater core so no obstruction to speak of. I think the old motor and cage were just tired. The old cage was seized on the motor shaft so I couldnt try the old cage on the new motor. Tomorrow I'll know which cage set up makes more air and if I need to make a spacer for the retro set up. From what I can tell the spacer wont effect the door that closes off behind the blower motor and clearance isnt an issue.

Not much of an update, but that's where I'm at. I hope to call NAP monday and get all my new AC parts in the mail so I can plug the giant hole in my cab. I just thought it was hot before!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Derfus
Senior User
So... the good folks at Advanced Auto ordered me a new cage I just picked up. As soon as I saw the box I told him it was the wrong one since my old cage was twice the size of the box he was trying to hand me. Took it anyway and it acutally fits in my old cage... it's that small!! Plugged it up and I can tell you if that is the size cage these old trucks came with, I know why people are complaining. I did manage to file down the old motor shaft and get the old cage off and it makes FAR more air than the little cage and not much if any less than the 93's cage. It doesnt fit quite the same on the new motor though and I have to set it all the way back on the shaft to clear the flange on the motor. The old cage is warped just enough I'm scared to use it due to the vibration so I'm going to call JBG and see if they can give me the diameter of thier cage and if it's the same as my old, big cage I'll order it and call it done.

I had hoped to talk someone at one of the parts stores into letting me buy a bunch of different model cages and trying them till I found a winner but once they found out what I was doing they rolled thier eyes and wanted no part of it.

I dont know of any differences in supercab heater motor/cages and regular cabs and I didnt think a HO heater had a different cage either so unless one of the resident site parts guys can confirm it and send me in a different direction... I'm stuck.

Edit: I just looked on Rock Auto and they have a cage that looks a lot like the 93's but looks like it's made for our blower motors. The one thing that makes me nervous about it is in the pictures I shows two very different wheels. One is white plastic made like the 93's wheel and the other is the black metal wheel like the crapper I got from Advanced this morning. I'll call them in the morning as well and see if I can get specs.

Edit 2: I found a wheel part number if one of the Ford parts guys can check it out. D3TA-18504-A2A

Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sorry if I'm missing it, but I have read your post a few times and can't figure it out. Have you tried the 93 cage on the new 78 motor yet to know if it works and puts out more air?

Thanks, my blower motor went out a couple months ago and I've been looking at retro-fitting a different cage on a new motor in mine if I can get some more air flow.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Derfus
Senior User
Sorry my posts ramble. Yeah the 93's cage makes more air than the new 78 cage but the original 78 cage is much bigger than the replacement and even though it's warped it makes about the same amount as the 93 cage.

The 93 cage is dished on the bottom and it makes it a clearance issue that would require some spacers be made for the flange on the motor.

I've got another cage on order right now that I think will fix all the problems. It should be here later in the week so I should have a solution by this weekend. Cross your fingers!!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Ok cool, can't wait to hear the results.

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Derfus
Senior User
I got the new cage in today and put it on the new motor and plugged it up. It seems to make just as much air as the original cage does. Granted I havent mounted it in the housing and tried it but I can tell you it it by far the best option in my opinion. I'll get it mounted and see how it does this weekend and do a comparison between it and the original massive cage. The cage I just got is Four Seasons Part # 35609 and is listed on Rock Auto for a E150. I doubt this is going to be called the "hurricane mod" as im sure many of you (including myself) were hoping it was going to seem like, but it's got to beat that tiny little replacement cage I tried. I cant imagine that one making any air at all. If you have the cage that matches the part number I listed a few posts up, and it's ok... It wont be worth your time and effort IMO.

I'll mount both of them this weekend and post up again what I figure out.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Subscribing. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Derfus
Senior User
Ok so I spent the better part of yesterday working on my fan upgrade and I'll save anyone the reading and say up front that it didnt work. I took the E150 cage and put it on my motor and it still causes a clearance issue. I drilled and bolted new holes in the housing and while it does work, it's very rigged and I dont want it rattling loose in 6 months so I'll be ordering the closes thing to my original blower wheel which I found on Autozone and lists as part number BW9335. AZ doesnt list the specs on it, but it's worth a shot. The cages that every part store in town wants to sell me for my truck make next to zero air so I'm hoping to just find a replacement for my old original cage.

If any of this sites Ford Motor Parts pro's can give me a source on D3TA-18504-A2A I'd be grateful!!

The issue I keep running into is cage clearance. I did make a spacer and it did fit but at the cost of the temp blend door binding. I could get away with a larger diameter cage but it's pretty much gotta be the standard width due to the outside wall of the housing. I hope to order the AZ cage this week and as long as it's the same as my original I'm calling it done.

After some thought I got to wondering if more air would come at a cost of less desired temp. If you are pulling more air through the heater core or the AC evap then it would be less warm or cool, right?

I cant say if the original cage in my truck is what was supposed to be there but it fit fine, made more air than the smaller cages did and had no clearance issues.

I'm passing on the torch to someone smarter than I am (that wont take much), but I'll post up if the AZ cage I order is a match for my original.

Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all that served, are serving and especially to all that gave thier lives for our freedom!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM
tflasher
New User
Thumbs up Ac blower replacement wheel

I had the same problem, they just do not make the original blower wheel anymore. This is what will work. A Fasco wheel part number 1-6058 also a 1/2 to 5/16 reducer Fasco part number 1402. It is a commercial ac wheel with the same dimensions as the one you are looking for. The blades are 1/8 inch longer and it blows 100% better. Hope this helps

Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by tflasher
I had the same problem, they just do not make the original blower wheel anymore. This is what will work. A Fasco wheel part number 1-6058 also a 1/2 to 5/16 reducer Fasco part number 1402. It is a commercial ac wheel with the same dimensions as the one you are looking for. The blades are 1/8 inch longer and it blows 100% better. Hope this helps

Is that for a "heater only" truck or a "heater / AC truck"???

I have several folk who have asked me to source one for AC use.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tflasher
This sounds very good to me, but i have already changed out my motor with a new one and really don't look forward to takimg all that crap apart again but if i could get more air flow i'd consider doing it.

I'm just curious if the air flow really is that much better with this wheel.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Wbruiser2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of this "squirrel cage"? I've never seen a cage for squirrels or knew that they even made them.. I don't even know why someone would put a squirrel in a cage so maybe I will learn something new today.