Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Freshman User

tmaglin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Cap Warning Light

The fuel cap warning symbol came on in my 2008 super duty with 5.4 gas engine. I removed and reinstalled the cap, symbol still on. Replaced the cap, symbol still on. Any ideas on what's cauaing this to stay on? Thanks in advance. I appreciate all help.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Posting Guru

Quad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to all
I just had this the other day. I recently installed a locking gas cap and things were fine for a couple weeks. Gassed up one day and had the light on. Once I checked, I noticed the cap was slightly cross threaded. It seems like the locking gas cap's threads fit on the loose side. Havent had an issue from it since.

08 XLT 250 CC V10 4.10 - 5 Star tunes (giddyup),18"x9" XD Addicts, 295 70 18 Trail Grapplers, Prestige fender flares, side marker lights
2001 E 250 Work beast

Jason
Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Senior User

RPM371 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It may need a new cap. They are cheap to replace.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM371 View Post
It may need a new cap. They are cheap to replace.
Did that, but it didn't help.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Freshman User

If I remember correctly, I was driving and hit a pothole in the road, then instantly the warning symbol came on. Does anyone know how this system works? Is there a sensor on the tank or is this controlled by the computer?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
it is a closed system so you have an issue somewhere. I'd suggest looking at the fuel lines going from the cap to the tank and the evap cannister.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Elder User

brd7666 has a very good reputation on FTE.brd7666 has a very good reputation on FTE.brd7666 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Try disconnecting the battery cable from the battery. Sometimes they need to be reset, and disconnecting the battery will do that. Try it and see what happens. Good luck.

Brian 2001 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat, Crew Cab, 5.4 liter V-8 gas motor, 2WD, 410 LS Rear Axle, 4 inch Fabtech lift kit, Westin Bull Bar, Factory Fog Light's, Hella 6" Fog Light's, Cowl Induction Hood, K&N cold air intake, Airaid Poweraid throttle body spacer, OEM Cab Clearance Lights, Peak Back-up Camera, Cobra LX LE CB Radio, Leer Topper
2004 Ford Taurus SES, 3.0 liter 24 valve DOHC v-6 Duratec engine
Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
Try disconnecting the battery cable from the battery. Sometimes they need to be reset, and disconnecting the battery will do that. Try it and see what happens. Good luck.
Thanks brd7666. That worked.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Posting Guru

Quad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to all
Glad it was a simple fix. Most often it is.

08 XLT 250 CC V10 4.10 - 5 Star tunes (giddyup),18"x9" XD Addicts, 295 70 18 Trail Grapplers, Prestige fender flares, side marker lights
2001 E 250 Work beast

Jason
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
Condensed version of how it works:

The EVAP system is supposed to prevent fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. The fuel tank is vented through a carbon canister via the canister vent solenoid which is controlled by the PCM's programming. During normal driving, the vent is open allowing air into (or out of) the fuel tank through the canister.

Since the vapor system is supposed to be closed for the fuel vapors, it must be tested periodically. The PCM does this by closing the vent solenoid, opening the purge valve to apply manifold vacuum to the system, them measuring the air pressure (vaccuum) inside the tank using the fuel tank pressure sensor located in the top of the fuel tank. A properly sealed system will bleed up vacuum within a certain amount of time. The system the shuts the purge solenoid and measures bleed-down time to verify system is sealed. Leaks can be identified by the rate of bleed down and classified as large or small.

After fueling, as detected by the fuel level sender in the tank, the system runs a "mini-check to verify it can draw a vacuum on the tank. If the system cannot draw a vacuum, it concludes that the fuel cap is probably not sealed and lights the fuel cap warning light.

Now, to your specific instance:

1) Next time, don't futz with the battery. Just pull the PCM KAM fuse if you want to reset the PCM's memory. That way, you don't have to reprogram the radio!

2) Resetting the computer as you did makes it so the fuel cap "mini-check" wasn't run since it only runs after you fill up the tank. You just turned off the light, but the underlying problem may (and very likely still does) exist. You'll find out the next time you refuel. Don't be too surprised if you happen to get a MIL with an evaporative emissions leak DTC in the meantime. If it does, you're going to need advice or assistance from someone who knows what they're doing or talking about...
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Freshman User

Thanks for the info. I'll find out what happens as I'll be fueling later today. I appreciate your knowledge on system ops.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2004, 2008, cap, coming, edge, f150, f250, ford, fuel, gas, light, loose, ranger, reset, tsb, warning