6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 mods

Old 05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Canadian F250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 mods

I just installed an H&S Minimax and 5" straight pipe on my 6.7 and have a few issues. the de-fueling was coming on due to high egt readings so i turned it off. seems like i need something else in order for the egt to register correctly ?? also there is quite a lag in shifts between 1-2 & 2-3 ??
any help would be appreciated. I called H&S and the guy didn't seem like he wanted to help me other than saying i needed to buy more stuff? I have read about an update to improve shifts but I only got the mod done last wednesday with the unlock code, so has something changed in that time span that would require an update already ?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,958 Likes on 2,187 Posts
you need darren or andrew...they are familiar with H&S

Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, those two are pretty experienced with this.

I will add, the transmission programming from them was something Darren did not like so he ran a stock transmission tune with the Maxx unit. Supposedly H&S had come out with an improved version.

I have been led to believe that the H&S should provide you with very happy and reliable results right out of the box with no need for tweaking. Maybe I don't understand so I'm interested in what they say.

Maybe you do have to delete the EGR for everything to be right as H&S intends the engine to run? Did you not opt for this option?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribing as I am bookmarking tuners right now

Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian F250
I just installed an H&S Minimax and 5" straight pipe on my 6.7 and have a few issues. the de-fueling was coming on due to high egt readings so i turned it off. seems like i need something else in order for the egt to register correctly ?? also there is quite a lag in shifts between 1-2 & 2-3 ??
any help would be appreciated. I called H&S and the guy didn't seem like he wanted to help me other than saying i needed to buy more stuff? I have read about an update to improve shifts but I only got the mod done last wednesday with the unlock code, so has something changed in that time span that would require an update already ?
Your profile does not say where you are located but if you are anywhere near Edmonton AB call Craig at NADP and he will fix you up and fill you in 100%.

Did you do it yourself or did you have someone do it?

Did you delete or at least blank off your EGR cooler? If you didn't you will not get a decent EGT reading. See pdf, you need to install one of the factory pyro's into the EGR cooler blank off plate. This is prob what H&S is saying you need to buy, it's cheap around $25.00 I think?? IF you already have a factory pyro installed in the ERG blank off then you need to go into one of the menus and change your pyro source. There is "HS pyro" or "factory pyro", you need to pick "factory pyro", if you are on "HS pyro" yep you get REALLY HIGH EGT's with the factory pyro.

You do need to update the firmware for sure, the SD cards are out dated out of the box and most places do not do the update when they install.... You need to be on TV 6.7.19. In one of the menues you can check and see what TV you are at now. There is a program on HS site that you download to update. There is a lot of great info on HS website.

I did not like H&S first trans tune but the one that came out with 6.7.19 is great IMHO. Truck shifts better that it ever has. Actually stays in gear instead of going straight to 6 all the time. (It's a bit like driving in T/H but without the HARD down shifts).

Here is a pic of the stock EGT sensor in the EGR blank off plate.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
fordegt.pdf (250.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
that was darren in case you just got blown away with information

Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
that was darren in case you just got blown away with information
LOL, need more, let me know!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Us Canucks get our long weekend THIS weekend YAY
The rest of y'all gotta wait until next weekend

Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't rep ya anymore Darren. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by ruschejj
I can't rep ya anymore Darren. Thanks for the info.
No problem buddy, I can't rep you either LOL. Seems you gotta spread it around A LOT. Everyone I tried to rep this week, I got denied

Old 05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by darren32
No problem buddy, I can't rep you either LOL. Seems you gotta spread it around A LOT. Everyone I tried to rep this week, I got denied
me too...oh well. I guess they don't want people constantly giving me reps

Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Seems Darren has this thread under control. I've been busy all day and didn't see this thread till now.

Definitely want to do the updates on the minimaxx. It's free an .19 is awesome. Tranny shifts much much better now and really put the power to the ground like it should. Get the update done and make sure your pyro is installed and you have the right pyro input in your minimaxx and you should be good to go.

Once you get it all sorted out you too will have "permagrin" and will find any excuse to drive your truck around.

Let us know what you figure out.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Also the tranny shifts will calm down and be more normal after you drive around a bit. When you reprogram the tranny it goes into a learn mode for the next 100-200 miles and adapts to how you drive to better suit your driving style/habits.

Get it up to temp and drive it like you stole it on HOT. The tranny will learn and shift perfect before you know it. Also make sure to do the (3) 0-80 mph runs as outlined in the manual right after you program the tranny. That will help speed the relearn procedure up.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Canadian F250
Freshman User
Thanks for the insight guys! I just got back from our long weekend and reviewed my post. I get the update part with the sd card but just to clarify, I have dpf off in the program but to get a correct egt reading I need to remove the egr cooler completely?? I ran in hot mode all weekend and although the shifting sucks it still performs well and the lie-0-meter is saying 20 mpg. I will touch base once I get the reflash in. Thanks again for all the help !!!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Canadian F250
Thanks for the insight guys! I just got back from our long weekend and reviewed my post. I get the update part with the sd card but just to clarify, I have dpf off in the program but to get a correct egt reading I need to remove the egr cooler completely?? I ran in hot mode all weekend and although the shifting sucks it still performs well and the lie-0-meter is saying 20 mpg. I will touch base once I get the reflash in. Thanks again for all the help !!!
No you don't have to remove the EGR cooler completely but you need to blank it off. See the pdf in post 5. That is if you want an EGT reading but you don't REALLY need one. There have not been any EGT issues that I am aware of ACCEPT if towing heavy on HOT. Personally, for piece of mind I always like to see the EGT number.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Canadian F250
Freshman User
Thanks Darren, I missed the PDF. I will order the kit from h&s tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 mods