6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F350 Pull-Truck - Pulled backwards to the dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
On my 2006 I had it throw a code and not start. I pulled the code with my Edge CTS and called my service advisor at the dealer. They mumbled in the back ground for minute or two and told me to clear the code and drive the truck in. Which I did. Saved me a tow. That is the one reason why I have a EDGE CTS in my current truck. The ability to pull and clear codes. No I wouldn't just clear the code and drive. But once the mechanics reviewed the code and said it would be OK, I'm all for having the ability.

I've got a large flatbed trailer that I haul my skid loader and mini excavator around on. On more than one occassion, I have hauled my neighbors GM and Dodge pickups into their respective dealers because of similar problems. So it happens to any make. Its just the luck of the draw whether it happens to you.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:43 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Sorry to hear about that. For the next time around, you might consider having a device that can read and clear codes.
If you have the ability, you can decide if you should leave your truck or reset and roll on to deal with the problem in a more convenient location.
Not worth the risk of more damage. You don't want to give a dealer reason to void the warranty.

ken

Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
I do think the motor is decent, its just all the damn electronics and sensors that are shutting these trucks down. Rant over, flame me if you wish.
I worry about the electronics also. Not so much now, with only 20,000 miles, but when we get over 100,000 miles. How well will the senors and logic work then? And how expensive will it be to repair the trucks.??
ken

Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kabur66
Not worth the risk of more damage. You don't want to give a dealer reason to void the warranty.

ken
Hey Ken, yes, I know what you mean. I didn't mean a blanket statement to just reset and go no matter what. The code readers give enough information to tell you basically what triggered the code. If the reader says "Piston broken in half" or something like that (), you obviously wouldn't reset and roll. But if it says DEF empty when you know you're not, you would have the option to reset and roll on. PH said he called the dealer and checked with them first before resetting. That would be ideal and like he said, he didn't have to pay for a tow or spend all that time on the side of the road.

Regardless, if I'm in a dangerous situation when the truck quits, I'm going to try to get out of there as quickly as possible. I'm going to default on the side of personal and family safety rather than Ford's warranty policy. It's just good to have that option if you ever need it.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Swamper34

Dealer called 2.5 hours after we reached home in the loaner car, to tell me the EGR sensor failed, spiked, and shut down the engine.

Now I have a 2.5 hour round trip tomorrow morning to retrieve my pickup. It seems to me that this pickup just likes to spend time at the dealer, as this is the third time in for repairs in 16 months. My 2001 F350 7.3, never once left me on the side of the road.

My 6.0 2003 Excursion even looks good compared to this pickup for reliability.

Today was a bad day for me - Tomorrow might be better

It is a Sad day for a $60 K truck.
ken

Old 05-19-2012, 02:56 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I worry about the electronics also. Not so much now, with only 20,000 miles, but when we get over 100,000 miles. How well will the senors and logic work then? And how expensive will it be to repair the trucks.??
ken
Computers and electronics confuse and therefor infuriate me. Robble robble robble.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
Looks don't mean squat when these trucks have to be towed back to the dealer. I have no idea when and if I ever get rid of mine but I think I'm done with Ford unless something changes. In my opinion only these trucks aren't that reliable. Yes, most times the failures are easily fixed but the point is to many trucks are being sent back to the dealer and leaving owners on the side of the road. Every time I browse the forums there is a new thread about someone having an issue. Take the number of members w/ a new Superduty and the number of how many have had issues and its to much IMO. I love my truck, but I don't trust it. I do think the motor is decent, its just all the damn electronics and sensors that are shutting these trucks down. Rant over, flame me if you wish.
I think the perception here is off due to statistics. Consider this point of view.
1) the people are on this blog because A they are a ford fanatic or B they are looking to solve a problem. That is why a lot of us came to this site. So that alone brings more "problems" to the forefront of this forum and skews things.
2) Consider how technical these trucks are getting due to A GOV requirements and B because they can and
3) It isn't that they breakdown once in awhile, it's they breakdown less than the competitor. Everything I hear is that GM, Dodge and Chev are worse in the reliability dept. and finally
4) Referring to #1, problems here as a percentage of members do not (IMO) represent # of problems as a % of all the trucks out there

Just my opinion and I grew up in Detroit where all my freinds family worked at ford and where I was turned off by Ford dealers in the 80's and 90's and came back in 2001.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Case in point. I just read this not 5 minutes after writing the above.

I technically have three part-time jobs, 2 of which are in offices and take up maybe 10 hours a week each. I also work 20-30 hours a week as the in-house mechanic for C&C Distributors- Harvest House Bakery, in Farmingdale. My fleet there includes an 03 E-350 long body w/ Harvester diesel, an 87 Canadian F-250, also with Harvester diesel, an 02 Xcursion, that's diesel too, and way too many GM cube trucks with the 6.6 DMAX. Because of these hunks of scrap metal, I am even more firmly convinced that Ford makes better commercial vehicles.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just delete all the electronic sensors and other crap and you'll have a great truck that won't shut down on you in the middle of nowhere....

Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Just delete all the electronic sensors and other crap and you'll have a great truck that won't shut down on you in the middle of nowhere....
what I don't understand is WHY an egr valve not closing or opening is a fatal problem.. the truck should still run, altho crappy at times.

same for the DEP/NOx..

yes, it is/will spew more emissions than it is supposed to, but that is a error condition.

no fuel, over fuel, under fuel, low oil pressure, I can understand.

so I think these are over aggressive reactions to some faults.

my job is system and application architect/designer (and coder sometimes).. 1 of the foremost objectives is to never be 'down'.. slow is ok, partial function is ok.. dead application - never

Sam

Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Right. And how are you going to do that and still have a dependable truck??

Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
these trucks should have a shutdown override button on them like semi trucks..if the engine threatens to shutdown you can override it, to get to a safe location..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right. And how are you going to do that and still have a dependable truck??

Mines deleted and I consider it to be dependable. I can guarantee it won't leave me on the side of the road because of an EGR valve or NOx sensor.

Correction to be previous post - I meant to type, delete the EMISSIONS sensors and equipment.