1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 55 F-100 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 55 F-100 Project

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum but not new to classic iron restoration, in fact I am just about finished with a 1950 F-1 that I hotrodded for a close friend of mine.

Working on Jon's 50 reignited the truck bug in me so I went on the hunt and found a total basket case 55 F-100. The previous owner took it down to the last screw some 12+ years ago, then walked away. Over the years a lot of things have dissapeared but I got all the big chunks.

Because its already down to the frame I have decided on this plan for the truck.
1. Front IFS with power disks, (possible air bags)
2. Replace the 292 with 312 heads, holly 4 barrel and headers with a solid 302 and auto tranny.
3. THINKING,,,about a 2" inch chop to the cab and trimming 2" out of the nose of the hood but haven't made up my mind yet (any input one way or the other?)
4. full metal flip front end (I will need to pick your brains for that)
5. either a 4 link rear with panard or a triangulated 4 link for the transplanted 31 spline 9 incher (lucked out there because I didnt even notice the 9 inch till I got it home)

I'm still mulling the interior, might keep the bench seat, might go wild like I did for Jon's 50 and drop in some buckets and fab up another consol etc.

I'll post some photo's of my beast in the next post down then throw in some of the 50 F-1 that I am just finishing up below that.

Gary

Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Gary,

Welcome to the group. Looks like you got it all figured out. Take a look around, I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting ideas and suggestions from the gang. might even run into the situation were you start re-thinking your plans after what comes up here.

I have a '55 myself and I'm wondering about the bucket VS bench set up.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your parts collection and progress coming together.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ravenheart
Hey Gary,

Welcome to the group. Looks like you got it all figured out. Take a look around, I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting ideas and suggestions from the gang. might even run into the situation were you start re-thinking your plans after what comes up here.

I have a '55 myself and I'm wondering about the bucket VS bench set up.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your parts collection and progress coming together.

Thanks for the welcome, I am not having any luck getting photo's to upload but will push on. I'm a good wrench but not much of a computer geek.

After sipping a beer last night with a few of the ol' time hotrodders here I have pretty much bagged the idea of chopping the cab. Having to slice the top 4 ways just seems wrong in some ways. One of the guys said that he had all the measurements and templates to do it but I just can't bring myself to hack the bucket up in to that many chunks.
Another one of the guys gave me a number to an interior guy who has done bench seats in a sudo bucket seat style. He re-foams each side into buckets, yet retains the center of the seat too. I have a call into him so I can go check out his photos of his work. If I ever figure out how to load pic's and he will allow it, I'll post pic's of this bench bucket.

Gary

Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw the job they did preppin' the truck(s) for the expendables movie and liked what they did, but it seems a bit too much at the same time. I'm actually planning for something similar without the butchering.

You can't attach pics directly unless you're a supporter, you'll need to add them to an online gallery and them post them into a thread. This might help a bit, don't know if you've seen it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-pictures.html

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM
zombiefied 247
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome aboard there is all kinds of knowledge on here i have a 55 myself can't wait to hear your ideas and see sum pics.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:00 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome Aboard Gary! I would agree on skipping the chop - there was a reason you picked this year - you probably liked the look. What engine is that in your garage pic?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Cant wait to see the pictures. Sounds like a solid plan for the front and rear suspension, and you hit a homer with the 9' being there.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Ben,
The one and only pic that would upload was of the engine that came with the truck.
Its a 292 Y block with 312 heads and 4 barrel manifold. To save a bit of cash I was intending on running it, but when I rolled it over for a compression test I found one jug with a bad exhaust valve.

So, I changed plans and have worked a swap with a guy who wants a period engine for his 57 wagon project and just happens to have a mid 90's 302 with a AOD bolted to it.

I originally wanted a SBF for the truck but am on a tight budget so this straight up swap is a dream come true.

Still fighting with the photo gallery but will continue to plug away.

Gary

Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Gary,
A 302 with an AOD transmission is just about the perfect
combination for these trucks. I've got a modified 351W with an AOD - a more stock engine should be more reliable. Keep posting & we'll follow along - you'll get the picture thing.

If you pay the $20 you become a member & the process for posting pics is easy - you just click on the paperclip & post directly from your harddrive.
(I never could figure out the photobucket approach either so don't feel bad).

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin

Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Well being's as my lovely wife is still a bit miffed at me for buying the truck without her approval, I have been devoting my time to re-habing all of the small pieces of the truck. I figure that I had better let her cool down a bit before I hit her up for the IFS kit.
So, I have spent hours in front of the bead blaster cleaning all of the internal door parts, governors, wing windows, window channels, then a total teardown of the heater, again a trip through the blaster, disassembly and lub of the blower motor, and the core boiled out and pressure tested. I had to fab up a new battery tray which I made as a one piece unit which has the splash shield as the forward mount instead of resting on the running board mount. Blasted the interior panels and covers, the seat mounts and the E-brake handle. Pressed new bushings into the rear cab mounts and straightened all of the bent running board mounts (this truck has def been stump jumpin a time or two because they were all pretty twisted and beat.
Finally last night after work I mixed up some epoxy primer and laid down two coats on everything then came in and hour early and hit the floor panels (the ones I have), the heater, wing window frames, and the E-brake handle with another two coats of epoxy black.
The truck still looks like hell but the accessories look like new.

I still have to fab up a new battery box door and one door inspection cover but after that I will be waiting on the rain to stop so I can roll the chassis and cab outside and nail them with the sand blaster.

I figure that the wife has another week,,maybe two before I have to stire the pot again and order the IFS kit because I need that in place before I begin installing the engine and tranny. (which I need to go get still).

Gary

Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Originally Posted by Project-55
Well being's as my lovely wife is still a bit miffed at me for buying the truck without her approval, I have been devoting my time to re-habing all of the small pieces of the truck. I figure that I had better let her cool down a bit before I hit her up for the IFS kit.
Gary
Hey Gary! Welcome to FTE. Instead of letting your dear wife stew for a week or two, take her out for a nice dinner with maybe some flowers and a big apology. Who knows, maybe you get the IFS kit sooner.

Sounds like you've already made big progress on the '55. The engine swap with your buddy seems like a sweet deal. Looking forward to seeing some additional pics when you get that part figured out.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Project-55
Elder User
This is all that happens when I copy a url from photobucket,,,,what am I doing soo wrong?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Hey all,
Well I spent most of Saturday swapping my 292 Y block and ford-o-matic for a 302 with a AOD. It turned into a workout because the 302 was still installed in the donor car. Of course it decided to rain like h*** the whole time which always boosts my attitude. But we got er done then we got a mini tour of the guys shop. I have to say he has some very kewl cars in differant stages of overhaul (some he is rodding out, others he is doing full restorations on) but the best part was when he opened up his engine storage lockers,,,,OMG. 4,,,yes 4 Hemis,,,3 Boss 429's two of which were fresh overhauls and hand polished, The list goes on and on but enough of that.

The 302 engine I picked up has a casting number of EOAE with a D3C below that and the tranny tag says E4LP AC.

Can anyone tell me where to research what I have because these numbers don't show up on the forum links.

Gary

PS: everytime I post from photobucket all I get is a square like in the post above,,,,,help!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are your plans for the 292 and ford-o-matic? Where are you? I looked at your picture in your gallery and it says Idaho. I'm about 100 miles north of Spokane. Too late now, but I have a 302 with an auto sitting in my shop that I took out of my '56.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Hey south of bc,
Its a moot point now because the 292 is now the property of another and I now have a semi beat up 302 and AOD sitting on a pallet at my place. The deal is done, for good or bad.

I'm more concerned now with tracking down the spec's on my new powerplant so I know what I'm overhauling.

Another guy I know has offered me another 302 and C4 that he swears ran good before he pulled it from his truck a few years ago, so I should be able to make at least one solid runner from the two.

I checked compression on the engine that I picked up and was pretty happy when it turned between 135 and 145 on all jugs, I still need to do a leak down check but am happy that it doesn't have a dead cylinder like the 292 had.

Gary

PS: I'm in wonderful down town Post Falls, ID

Quick Reply: My 55 F-100 Project