1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Replace Whole Tensioner or Just Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
You should be good. A number of Ford part numbers cross to the Motorcraft YS267. The number you posted is one of them.
Thanks PJ! The pulley finally arrived tonight, and the part number is YS-267, so it must be the right one.

It certainly doesn't look as well built as my old pulley. The old pulley was one piece and metal and the new one has a plastic pulley sandwiched between two pieces of metal. Hopefully it's just as durable!

One quick question though, I started up the truck to make sure everything went back together properly, and I felt the new idler pulley and it was really hot to the touch. Is that just because it's breaking in or what? I don't think I overtightened it, as I only used a 3/8 ratchet to tighten it back down and the old one was a real PITA to break free with the same ratchet...

Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post up a pic of it if you can.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Post up a pic of it if you can.
Here you go:

FRONT:

BACK:

If this is the right pulley, do you know which direction that cutout on the back side of the pulley is supposed to face?

I'll be out installing my new turn signal switch while I wait for a reply.

Thanks again PJ!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Well thats different. You'll have to play it by ear! The shield and notch may be for clearance or some other deal on another vehicle.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SHOpar
Here you go:

FRONT:

BACK:

If this is the right pulley, do you know which direction that cutout on the back side of the pulley is supposed to face?

I'll be out installing my new turn signal switch while I wait for a reply.

Thanks again PJ!
Maybe the number is OK?? but not the pulley. IDK

Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

I can't find a pic that looks anything like that pulley.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
That's the Motorcraft pulley I got. When I put it on, the shield on the engine side was contacting the pulley. It started smoking when I fired it up. At the time, I was really frustrated and didn't want to mess with it, so I replaced it with a Gates and haven't had any problems.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Maybe the number is OK?? but not the pulley. IDK
Yeah, I think you're right. I messed with the new pulley some more last night, still couldn't stop it from rubbing and heating up horribly, so I gave up and reinstalled the old one.

I took the new pulley inside, got online, and tried to figure out what I got. The new pulley has no parts markings on it whatsoever and it's obviously the wrong part and not even a Motorcraft piece! The box it came in is right, but it looked like it was previously opened, so someone must have pulled a fast one and returned the junk I got to the dealer.

Just so I can be done with this nightmare, I am picking up the correct pulley tonight from the local dealer and paying full MSRP. This would have been an easy job if I had gotten the right parts the first time around!

I am so mad about my order through Horizon Ford (the place where Parts Guy Ed used to work), as this is the third time they have screwed up on this one order! First time I got sent someone else's parts; that delayed me a week. Once they finally arrived, the turn signal switch was the wrong one. Called them back, ordered the right switch and added the upper idler pulley. Those show up last night; the switch works, but the pulley is wrong!!!!

Needless to say, I'll be giving Horizon Ford a piece of my mind and demand a full refund for the defective pulley and all my shipping costs. I also will never buy from them again, as they obviously can't get it together now that Ed has left!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Yeah, I think you're right. I messed with the new pulley some more last night, still couldn't stop it from rubbing and heating up horribly, so I gave up and reinstalled the old one.

I took the new pulley inside, got online, and tried to figure out what I got. The new pulley has no parts markings on it whatsoever and it's obviously the wrong part and not even a Motorcraft piece! The box it came in is right, but it looked like it was previously opened, so someone must have pulled a fast one and returned the junk I got to the dealer.

Just so I can be done with this nightmare, I am picking up the correct pulley tonight from the local dealer and paying full MSRP. This would have been an easy job if I had gotten the right parts the first time around!
I ordered the same part from RockAuto (Motorcraft idler pulley) and it looked the exact same and I had the exact same problem and I ended up replacing it with a different pulley that actually worked. Pretty much the exact same situation.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
That's the Motorcraft pulley I got. When I put it on, the shield on the engine side was contacting the pulley. It started smoking when I fired it up. At the time, I was really frustrated and didn't want to mess with it, so I replaced it with a Gates and haven't had any problems.
Sounds exactly like what I experienced last night, and is not what I wanted to hear! If the pulley from the local dealer looks the same as what I tried to install last night, they can keep it, and I'll be looking for a Gates as well.

Why would they update to a part that is a total pile of crap?!?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

I don't know. But I was pretty angry about it. I shouldn't have to try to rig up a way for a brand new Motorcraft part to work. I'm actually glad that it's not just me that has had this problem.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Picked up the new pulley from the dealer and thankfully it's the same style as my old one, so I'm back in business!

I showed the parts guy the pulley that didn't work and he said Ford went to that design as a replacement for awhile, but had nothing but problems with it, so they went back to the original design since it was such a POS.

So anyone that buys this pulley, make sure you inspect it before taking it home so you don't have to go through the headache BuckHammer and I did!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Well I guess there was a change in the Motorcraft part number that Ford may not be aware of. As odd as that may seem. Motorcraft YS-224 seems to the new designation for the correct smooth idler pulley. Crap! Ford part number F5TZ8678E is what I've found so far for a cross. I think this part number is shown as an E series van pulley.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Picked up the new pulley from the dealer and thankfully it's the same style as my old one, so I'm back in business!

I showed the parts guy the pulley that didn't work and he said Ford went to that design as a replacement for awhile, but had nothing but problems with it, so they went back to the original design since it was such a POS.

So anyone that buys this pulley, make sure you inspect it before taking it home so you don't have to go through the headache BuckHammer and I did!
Glad to hear that you are in bussiness again. Can you confirm if the #part below (from Pete) are the same you got?

Well I guess there was a change in the Motorcraft part number that Ford may not be aware of. As odd as that may seem. Motorcraft YS-224 seems to the new designation for the correct smooth idler pulley. Crap! Ford part number F5TZ8678E is what I've found so far for a cross. I think this part number is shown as an E series van pulley.
Thank you.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:38 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

The one I got from RockAuto was a YS267.

Quick Reply: Replace Whole Tensioner or Just Pulley?