6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

When is it time to rebuild 5r110?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
Here is the ACTUAL Ford web site information:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® LV type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Check Owner Guide and transmission fluid charts for application</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

</td><td>Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures and guards against transmission shudder. This fluid has excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also prevents against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak detection</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

</td><td>Do not use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP (exceptTorqShift®), Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended, or in transfer cases</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

</td><td>Refer to the Motorcraft® MERCON® LV specification sheet below for additional information. For MSDS information call 1-800-448-2063</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">
</td><td>Note: MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid is available in bulk quantities at substantial savings. Use of bulk oil products is environmentally proactive. Contact your FCSD Aftermarket Account Manager, an approved Motorcraft® Bulk Oil Distributor, or Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com for details.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Note that the official Ford chemicals and Lubricants Web site has the "EXCEPT TORQSHIFT" statement (in red above) in their description. Go to the actual Ford info on Mercon LV by clicking the link below.

<table style="WIDTH: 652pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" x:str="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="869"><colgroup><col style="WIDTH: 652pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 30890" width="869"></colgroup><tbody><tr style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height="18"><td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 652pt; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class="xl24" align="left" height="18" width="869">click here</td></tr></tbody></table>

I am not sure exactly how FordParts.com is affiliated with Ford, but I trust the FCSDChemicalsandLubricants information as the "official Source".

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...rchproduct.asp

All that said - I have stuck w/ Mercon SP.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for sharing your info source.

I find it weird that Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com left out the exceptTorqShift®info regarding Motorcraft LV ATF. Nevertheless, I will also stick to Mercon SP ATF as long as I can locate it for my '05 Excursion.

BarnieTrk

Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Fellas,
By the way -- my '05 Ex (175K miles) has also been slipping/shucking/chattering/surging/bucking as well; mostly noticed when on cruise control and especially when going down hill & needs to slightly brake. I checked the ATF level, at idle after running 45 minutes, and the level is fine.

The transmission temp gauge has recently also been acting up. It will drop to 0 then peg out at High then bounce back to normal, and the 'check gages' light will flash on for that moment. it does this once or twice every 50 or so miles.

As a result, I have made an appointment with my stealer to do a trans fluid flush on Jan 2nd. I will also ask that they replace the trans temp sensor before they do the fluid. I'll report back with my performance results after the service and 100+ miles.

BarnieTrk

Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Barnie - I certainly appreciate you posting the information you have. It is definitely interesting. I agree with bpounds (and you) - I think sticking w/ SP is probably a wise choice.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't see any evidence that SP will be discontinued. It's been several years now that LV has been produced. Stocks of SP would have been depleted long ago if it was obsolete.

The mechanics I trust with my baby are still recommending SP.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Bill - the most recent version of the WSM that I have (307-01-1) - in the Torqshift section - states the following:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 252pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=336 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 109pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5176" width=146><COL style="WIDTH: 71pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3356" width=94><COL style="WIDTH: 72pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3413" width=96><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 16.2pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=22><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 109pt; HEIGHT: 16.2pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl23 height=22 width=146 align=left>Item</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 71pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl23 width=94 align=left>Specification</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 72pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl23 width=96 align=left>Fill Capacity</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 66pt" height=88><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 109pt; HEIGHT: 66pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl22 height=88 width=146 align=left x:str="Motorcraft MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-10-QLV ">Motorcraft MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-10-QLV
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 71pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl22 width=94 align=left>MERCON LV</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 72pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl22 width=96 align=left>18.0L
(19.02 qt)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

There is no mention of Mercon SP. I can not recall if specific literature was mentioned on LV replacing SP, but I seem to recall there was. I will keep looking for awhile.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
A spokesman from Ford had this to say about LV - back in 2007.

LUBE REPORT: Ford Unveils New Transmission Fluid

It definitely implies that they are planning for LV to replace SP if possible.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
This is what I was looking for - I found it in 2010:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ickref/atf.pdf

It shows only LV for the Torqshift

Also from a previous thread:
Just saw this on BITOG:

TECH TIPS
Approval to Service ALL 5R110 Automatic Transmissions with MERCON® LV
Beginning immediately ALL (2003 to 2010 MY) 5R110 automatic transmissions can be serviced with
MERCON® LV automatic transmission fluid in place of MERCON® SP.
Initially only the 2009/10MY 5R110 automatic transmissions were filled and serviced with MERCON® LV.
In an effort to reduce complexity, Ford Motor Company is allowing all previous model year 5R110
automatic transmissions to be serviced with MERCON® LV automatic transmission fluid. This pertains to
top off as well as fluid replacement. Mixing of MERCON® LV and MERCON® SP in the 5R110
transmission is acceptable. Extensive testing has been performed to insure there are no functional or
durability concerns with the use of MERCON® LV in the 5R110 automatic transmission.
Vehicles affected are F-Series Super Duty trucks (including chassis cab, motorhome, LCF).

I am not bold enough to try it based on only one source, but thought I would post it up anyway.

Ford Torqshift 5w110 takes Mercon LV now - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
Fellas,
By the way -- my '05 Ex (175K miles) has also been slipping/shucking/chattering/surging/bucking as well; mostly noticed when on cruise control and especially when going down hill & needs to slightly brake. I checked the ATF level, at idle after running 45 minutes, and the level is fine.

The transmission temp gauge has recently also been acting up. It will drop to 0 then peg out at High then bounce back to normal, and the 'check gages' light will flash on for that moment. it does this once or twice every 50 or so miles.

As a result, I have made an appointment with my stealer to do a trans fluid flush on Jan 2nd. I will also ask that they replace the trans temp sensor before they do the fluid. I'll report back with my performance results after the service and 100+ miles.

BarnieTrk

Hi Fellas,

Well, my local dealership did check & change my transmission temperature sensor and flushed my transmission fluid & changed the filter. For what it's worth - they flushed my '05 6.0L PSD Excursion's Torqshift 5R110 AT with Motorcraft LV ATF! They claimed they no longer had any SP and all of the 5R110 transmission flushes were being flushed with the LV fluid.

Lastly, the issue with the shuckin' & chatterin' while in OD & trying to coast down a hil is still happening.....even with the new ATF. I'm not happy, but I guess I'll live with it for now.

BarnieTrk

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
TinMan289
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
Hi Fellas,

Well, my local dealership did check & change my transmission temperature sensor and flushed my transmission fluid & changed the filter. For what it's worth - they flushed my '05 6.0L PSD Excursion's Torqshift 5R110 AT with Motorcraft LV ATF! They claimed they no longer had any SP and all of the 5R110 transmission flushes were being flushed with the LV fluid.

Lastly, the issue with the shuckin' & chatterin' while in OD & trying to coast down a hil is still happening.....even with the new ATF. I'm not happy, but I guess I'll live with it for now.

BarnieTrk
Good to hear about the flush and fill...I'll have to contact my local dealer and see if they'll offer the same service.

In regards to your remaining issue, it sounds like you're having the same issue as I and as it was pointed out to me, it may be the torque converter lockup clutches. They're separate from the tranny and won't cause tranny failure, but will effect cruising fuel efficiency and obvious ride comfort if they're acting up. I find mine sorts itself out after a few downshifts via the skinny pedal each time the system starts cold.
I haven't entertained the cost of replacement as I have neither the time nor money to do or have the job done. I'm sure a dealer will charge me my oldest child, that's kinda why I'm waiting until the tranny decides to give up the ghost and I can just replace it while the unit is out.
Oh, I have 157k on mine and it's behind an 05 6.0, btw.