Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 F150 2WD EFI i6 to Carbed 351w swap

Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM
boostednick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 F150 2WD EFI i6 to Carbed 351w swap

First off I would like to introduce myself. My name is Nick and I am new to the forum. I recently have taken a very serious interest in Ford trucks when my grandfather passed his 1988 F150 down to me. The truck just turned over 100K miles and is in VERY good shape for being 24 years old and was purchased brand new by him. Not a single bit of rust that I can see and the paint still looks new, original paint btw. The truck is a regular cab long bed XLT Lariat with the 4.9 i6 motor and manual transmission 2WD. I have big plans for this truck but I am new to Fords so I have some questions for you Ford experts, and YES I HAVE SEARCHED THIS FORUM MANY TIMES TODAY but I still have some questions that I cant seem to find answers too.

So heres my plan for my truck. Since the truck is 2WD I figured it would make a great street/strip project. I want to pull the i6 and manual trans out and drop a 351 Windsor long block with some sort of auto trans. Also I want to convert it from EFI to a Carb set up. All the researching ive been doing is starting to almost become over whelming so im open to all suggestions.

So here's some questions I have....

1. Which year 351 Windsor motor should be looking for and whats a reasonable price range for it?

2. Which auto transmission would be best for me to use? This is going to be a DD/weekend strip truck. So im sure ill end up using a mild stall converter and maybe a valve body and shift kit.

3. Is this going to require a specific mount kit?

4. Has anyone in the forum ever done this swap with a 2WD truck?

Like I said before I am open to all suggestions and info that you guys could give me on whats actually going to be involved in this swap. All the threads ive found are for 4WD trucks not 2WD like mine. Thanks guys

Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are going to build the engine any at all, I'd find a 94? Or so roller 351 block.
That would be a great start. But if the cost is too much you can get any 351 from a truck or van from 87-96 that way you get all the acessories with it.
What you need to do to the engine to make it fun is for another thread.

A stock efi 351 will have good power with a carb. It sucks with efi.

Trans is an issue. No good ford non electronic overdrive autos. The aod is ok as long as you manually shift it out of overdrive (if not you'll hold OD and shift into 2nd and shear off the input shafts...I've done it...6 times)

You'll need new frame mounts and thats really it.
For now I'd find a good 351 and frame mounts (frame horns) and bolt the frame mounts and engine into your truck. Your current trans and starter will work, you just need a flywheel, or rebalance the 300 to a 351.

You'll want to get a performer rpm intake. I doubt you'll have a need for something different even when you build a 392 stroker (what I'd do) and get a 700cfm double pump.
Yes I know it's big and way more then it needs, but again, never need to upgrade and it can be tuned down for now.

Fuel pumps can stay.... Kinda If you have dual tanks
You'll need to get a carb regulator with return. Should work
Or if you have single tank then you can pull the sending unit and remove the pump but put a tube in its place to keep the pickup low in the tank.

Get the motor swapped first and then worry about the trans.
Do not cut any wires
Most of them can get reused to keep your dash gauges and stuff to work.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
boostednick
New User
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
If you are going to build the engine any at all, I'd find a 94? Or so roller 351 block.
That would be a great start. But if the cost is too much you can get any 351 from a truck or van from 87-96 that way you get all the acessories with it.
What you need to do to the engine to make it fun is for another thread.

A stock efi 351 will have good power with a carb. It sucks with efi.

Trans is an issue. No good ford non electronic overdrive autos. The aod is ok as long as you manually shift it out of overdrive (if not you'll hold OD and shift into 2nd and shear off the input shafts...I've done it...6 times)

You'll need new frame mounts and thats really it.
For now I'd find a good 351 and frame mounts (frame horns) and bolt the frame mounts and engine into your truck. Your current trans and starter will work, you just need a flywheel, or rebalance the 300 to a 351.

You'll want to get a performer rpm intake. I doubt you'll have a need for something different even when you build a 392 stroker (what I'd do) and get a 700cfm double pump.
Yes I know it's big and way more then it needs, but again, never need to upgrade and it can be tuned down for now.

Fuel pumps can stay.... Kinda If you have dual tanks
You'll need to get a carb regulator with return. Should work
Or if you have single tank then you can pull the sending unit and remove the pump but put a tube in its place to keep the pickup low in the tank.

Get the motor swapped first and then worry about the trans.
Do not cut any wires
Most of them can get reused to keep your dash gauges and stuff to work.
Is there any other auto transmissions I could use at all?

As far as the frame mounts go will the ones i get with which ever donor vehicle i get the engine from work with my truck?

Yes my truck is a double tank set up. Couldnt I just remove the rear tank and all its componants and just keep the front tank?

Once I get everything in how much of the OEM engine harness will I need to use since im going with the carb set up and their will no longer be an ECU correct? That intake you mentioned and carb were actually the ones i was going to get, kinda funny those were the ones you mentioned.

Sorry for all the questions after questions, im new to american cars and carbed set ups in general.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
boostednick
New User
I mean I guess I could just use my factory manual trans for now just so i can get the motor and carb set up in and working properly. I could just get a stronger clutch and flywheel. Then down the road i could tackle a nice trans set up.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 AM
boostednick
New User
I think ive almost found the answers to all my questions, found a couple pretty good threads that i must have missed before on here. Only concern I have now is the transmission, I dont want to stay with the manual but ive read that I could go with a C6 trans and a stock C6 from what ive read will seem to hold up plenty to what ill ever put it through. If so does it have to be a specific year and model C6?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
personally id just spend the money and get the original 300 flywheel rebalanced, costs me about 35 dollars, and then if the current clutch is good, reuse it for now as well. no sense dumping money into this trans setup if you are just going to trplace it later.
or if the clutch is toast already, then buy a cheap replacement 351 flywheel and a decent clutch. the 351 will more then likely have more options for a replacement then the 300
the 300 uses a 11.5" clutch but the friction material is narrower. the 351 i think is an 11" but has 1.5 times the friction material on it and you can also get an 11.5" disk to fit it (i think)

the c6 is a tough trans but it has no overdrive.
another thing id reccomend if youre absolutly against a manual trans is the 4r70w and get a stand alone computer for the trans. it will hold up to a lot of greif with little modification.

i do not like the idea of you getting rid of the rear tank and keeping the side tank
i think that it is not balanced as well with a full side tank id keep the rear tank and that way its centered weight and its behind the rear wheels, which it will need the extra traction
you may be able to bypass the dual lines somehow, look that up here, or ask if you cant find info on deleting the second tank