Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Senior User

paddler65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
wrench light

FTE said the light would come on again.
the wrench light on the dash has come on again. i made it from va. to moab utah w/o seeing the light. the light has come 2 times today and the truck went into limp mode, each time i cut key off and light was gone when i turn key back on. both times the light came on when the truck was building high turbo pressure. i'm not sure what the pressure was because i was not watching at that second. i have been keeping the turbo under 26 for the trip with out a problem.
what is going on with the truck??? .
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
$39 OBD scanner would answer that in few seconds.

Or you can go to AAMCO for free scanning.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior User

i had the truck scaned in Va. but nothing showed up. the light came on 2 times but didn't go into limp mode but yesterday the truck went into limp mode bothe times. i'm towing over 13K lbs. 5ver.
there is a ford dealer in id. i would like to use if the truck last that long. i have stopped runnning in over drive so i can prevent a sudden down shift.
thanks for your help.
thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Are you towing?

Definitely need the codes to know what is happening. But the most common reasons for the wrench light, that goes out after a restart, is oil cooler efficiency (oil is too hot versus coolant), over boost, or FICM voltage (weak batteries or failing FICM). My vote would be for the oil cooler. That code is a fairly recent one, and many scanners won't read it.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
There are several kinds of limp modes. Usually limp mode is when vehicle stays on one gear, usually 2nd.
There are also engine default modes, what happens when a sensor malfunctions and computer puts emergency program to substitute for false reading. Depends what sensor it is, you still can have 70-90% of normal performance. Not having the scanner, you can look under the hood for cuts in hoses, or damaged wires, but that is long shoot.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Are you towing?

Definitely need the codes to know what is happening. But the most common reasons for the wrench light, that goes out after a restart, is oil cooler efficiency (oil is too hot versus coolant), over boost, or FICM voltage (weak batteries or failing FICM). My vote would be for the oil cooler. That code is a fairly recent one, and many scanners won't read it.
the wrench light is related to high turbo boost because today i was watching the psi gauge and at 29 the truck went into limp mode. it feels more like the 70% t0 90% power is still there. once again i cut the key off, back on and the truck runs good.
i 'm watching turbo psi and staying out of over drive so i can control the pressure.
hopeing to get into lewiston before any repairs has to be done.
thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler65 View Post
the wrench light is related to high turbo boost because today i was watching the psi gauge and at 29 the truck went into limp mode. it feels more like the 70% t0 90% power is still there. once again i cut the key off, back on and the truck runs good.
i 'm watching turbo psi and staying out of over drive so i can control the pressure.
hopeing to get into lewiston before any repairs has to be done.
thanks
Well, I'm surprised that it would fault at 29, but to be honest I am not sure of the limit. I know that I used to hit 29 or 30, but then with the latest flash strategy they added these engine protection items to the program, and now I only hit 27 to 28 psi. Consider also that high boost means high engine temps and therefore high oil temps. So I'm not ruling out the oil cooler problem. I hope you are right about the boost, because the turbo can be cleaned up and probably be fine with a few hours labor, but an oil cooler will be expensive to replace and you will be down for a while.

Codes will tell the tale. Good luck.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Elder User

rattleNsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine overbooster while towing last season. It was due to frozen VGT veins. Bismic had it nailed from the start. Although I really didn't want to believe or accept that diagnosis, he was nuts on. $650 later all was well.
Mike
Wifey with a ton of patience
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Senior User

i love my truck but this ford go to go.. engine out two times, once for a bed plate leak and once for a blown head gasket. 3 injectors replaced last year,also the air conditioner compressor and the rear brakes have been replaced.enough of my whining.
thanks thanks for all of your help. i will take this inf. with me when i go to the ford dealer in lewiston.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM