300 date code, engine date code

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300 date code, engine date code

where do i find the date code in the block ? and how to decode it?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
This will tell you how to decode it:

Classic Mustang Part Number Decoding Guide

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
If I remember right, the date code is on the passenger side on the block, underneath the intake/exhaust manifolds.

From what I've heard, the date code tells you when the design of the block was last updated, not when it was built. Could be wrong though.

On a similar note, if you're curious about the date code on the head, it'll be behind the thermostat housing. It's in a little slot between the block and the head and will be upside down. I don't know if you have to take the head off to get a good look at it, but you may be able to see it with clever mirror placement.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
jem44357
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The date code for the block in my kit is just above the edge of the block down by the starter. I can not find any markings on the outside of the head. I can see some casting stamps under the valve cover.

The first character is a D. I am a bit shaky, I just woke up.

These are between the motor mount bolt bosses.
One thing for sure pics do not lie... check out them nasty welds I did on my mounts.

This is at the front of the head.

Jim

Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM
jem44357
Tuned
AB are you saying the t-housing needs to be removed?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Joeseph
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to read it with a mirror. The letters are angled downwards so its a bit of a pain but removing the thermostat housing shouldn't be required.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 PM
jem44357
Tuned
Joeseph,

Thanks. I'll look a bit closer when I get home in the morning.

Well I found it and it is not what I had hoped. It looks like my head is a '72.

Jim

Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jem44357

Okay, looked into this a bit more.

These are two separate codes

The D5TE-xxxx-xx is the part number, and gives the date of the last block revision. D5 means 1975 was the last time that block was updated.

The 8D19 is the exact day that block was cast.

8 is the year, so 1978
D is the month, which is April (The months go in order A - M. I is skipped.)
19 is the day.

So, that engine block was last revised in 1975, and was cast on April 19th, 1978.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco

The D5TE-xxxx-xx is the part number, and gives the date of the last block revision. D5 means 1975 was the last time that block was updated.

The 19 is the exact day that block was cast.

8 is the year, so 1978
D is the month, which is April (The months go in order A - M. I is skipped.)
19 is the day.

So, that engine block was last revised in 1975, and was cast on April 19th, 1978.

I might be wrong but from what I remember was the 75 ( D5 ) was the earliest version of that design. The "AA" at the end of it had to do with the latest engineering updates.

D = 70's
5 = 75
T = truck
E= engine group

6015 = engine block

AA - Engineering version, I believe AA would be the 26th version ( ? ) .

Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by jem44357
Joeseph,

Thanks. I'll look a bit closer when I get home in the morning.

Well I found it and it is not what I had hoped. It looks like my head is a '72.

Jim
That is an Engineering ID (aka Casting ID) and not a date code. That part was originally designed for use in 1972 and it may have remained in use with that same design for several years.

That may be all the information you're after, though.

Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco

The D5TE-xxxx-xx is the part number Engineering ID, not Part Number, and gives the date of the last block revision. D5 means 1975 was the last time that block was updated.

The 8D19 is the exact day that block was cast.

8 is the year, so 1978
D is the month, which is April (The months go in order A - M. I is skipped. I think O is skipped, too.)
19 is the day.

This is essentially correct, I just want to emphasize the difference between Engineering ID codes and Part Numbers.

Just about every single part & component Ford uses has got an Engineering ID code cast/printed/molded into/onto it. This is not a part number! It's an Engineering identification number only.

Originally Posted by fordman75
I might be wrong but from what I remember was the 75 ( D5 ) was the earliest version of that design. No, that's not correct. The "AA" at the end of it had to do with the latest engineering updates. Engineering minor revision to the version specified in the prefix

D = 70's
5 = 75
T = truck
E= engine group

6015 = engine block

AA - Engineering version revision, I believe AA would be the 26th version ( ? ) . I think it'd be the 2nd.

This is correct in that the first two characters represent the decade & year in which the component was designed for use. There may have been earlier versions, maybe subsequent versions & revisions, too.

A version and a revision are not the same thing.

The initial version is given a xxxx-xxxx-A revision code.

For example, let's look at the 351Wheezer blocks from 1980/89:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctubutis/7227827058/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctubutis/7227827058/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ctubutis/, on Flickr

The above is from the FoMoCo 1980/89 Light Truck Master Parts Catalog (available on CD from hipoparts.com) and is the exact resource the parts peeps at the Ford dealers use when you stroll over there to find a part for your 1980/89 truck or Bronco. It's the final version of the catalog, and was printed in 1994.

The green is the list of engine blocks used for all 351Wheezers 1980/89 in trucks, Broncos & vans.

A 351W block - used in any truck/Bronco or van 1980/83 and built before July 11, 1983 used a D9 version with a -A revision. The black star says it's obsolete, and the RH text says it wasn't replaced (which means Ford doesn't supply replacements for that block any longer, a JY is your only hope).

These were all 2V-carb variants.

Beginning on July 11, 1983 and extending through MY1988, all of the 2V, 4V and EFI blocks first used a E3AZ-B variant, it was obsoleted and was later (looks like in 1989) replaced by (r/b in the text) an E9AZ-A variant which itself is obsolete and was replaced with an F1TZ-B variant in June of 1990.

Note, those are all Part Numbers and not Engineering ID numbers.

Here is the same block information for the 6-banger engine:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctubutis/7224543972/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctubutis/7224543972/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ctubutis/, on Flickr

You can see what models of what trucks & vans used what variants of what 6-banger engine blocks and when.

As Justin said, the date code merely represents when that particular component was cast, and has nothing to do with versions and revisions of the components.

6015 = a casting identification number.

As an aside, look at the purple highlight above, notice the #E6TE-BA. Those numbers are the Engineering ID codes printed/molded/cast into the part. Ford sometimes provides this information in the parts book, it sometimes helps in finding replacement parts for people.

HERE is a good reference for what the 3rd & fourth characters in the prefix mean (e.g. the TZ in E7TZ) and an explanation of date codes. AFAIK it's accurate but I don't have any 70s books to verify that.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:52 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ctubutis
This is correct in that the first two characters represent the decade & year in which the component was designed for use. There may have been earlier versions, maybe subsequent versions & revisions, too.

A version and a revision are not the same thing.

The initial version is given a xxxx-xxxx-A revision code.
I stand corrected. Busted by the grammar police!

What I was trying to get across was if the block has a D5 at the start of the casting/engineering # then 1975 is the earliest year you will find that "D5" in. You won't find a 1972 block with a D5 casting #. You could find a "D5" block in a later year vehicle stock but not the other way around. I wasn't saying D5 was the first 240/300 block. That would be a C5.

I was under the impression on the revision codes that "A" was the 1st then "B" was the second. I was told they ran thru the alphabet ( minus I & O ) , then added the second letter the 2nd way thru. But you are saying it goes "A" 1st, "AA" 2nd, then "B" would be the third? And then "BA" would be the 4th? If that's the case thank you for clearing that up for me.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM
ctubutis
I stand corrected. Busted by the grammar police!

I was under the impression on the revision codes that "A" was the 1st then "B" was the second. I was told they ran thru the alphabet ( minus I & O ) , then added the second letter the 2nd way thru. But you are saying it goes "A" 1st, "AA" 2nd, then "B" would be the third? And then "BA" would be the 4th? If that's the case thank you for clearing that up for me.
I have no idea how that works or what the systems are, I see all kinds of different revisions:

A
AA
A1A, A2A
BA

And whatever.

I don't think I've seen that stuff explained in the parts book (might or might not be there, maybe I just haven't seen it). NumberDummy might know but he's on a cruise for another week or so.

BTW I think I've been wrong in my interpretation of the 6015 casting code on the blocks. I looked at a picture of my old M-block, it's also a 6015! The book says the 6015 will be used "only when (the) casting number is unique to only one 6010 assembly." So, I guess this is just another place where the Engineering ID numbers don't necessarily help in locating a part number, I'd now guess there are many blocks out there with 6015 on them. *sigh*

Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ctubutis

I have no idea how that works or what the systems are, I see all kinds of different revisions:

A
AA
A1A, A2A
BA

And whatever.

I don't think I've seen that stuff explained in the parts book (might not be there, maybe I just haven't seen it). NumberDummy might know but he's on a cruise for another week or so.

BTW I think I've been wrong in my interpretation of the 6015 casting code on the blocks. I looked at a picture of my old M-block, it's also a 6015! The book says the 6015 will be used "only when (the) casting number is unique to only one 6010 assembly." So, I guess this is just another place where the Engineering ID numbers don't necessarily help in locating a part number, I'd now guess there are many blocks out there with 6015 on them. *sigh*

I've learned you can never say never when dealing with Ford stuff. Just when I think I've got something figured out I find out otherwise.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i still can"t figure this out

BTTE - 6015 - DB

i know is an 1980's, but just not the exact. It was an EFI.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Samsn4
i still can"t figure this out

BTTE - 6015 - DB

i know is an 1980's, but just not the exact. It was an EFI.
It's E7TE, not BTTE.

Quick Reply: 300 date code, engine date code