1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 54 F100 project

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:58 AM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the VIN verified for DMV

Now that paperwork is done, I'm looking into replacing those Dodge wheels, they did their job, but need to go, lol

Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 AM
Rhinoh22
Junior User

Mom recently acquired an old photo album and found some pics of her Dad and the 54, from Feb 1st, 1969. I never met my moms dad, so rebuilding this truck is a way to have a memory of him.
Took 2nd pic today, posing like grandpa did back in '69

Last edited by Rhinoh22; 06-26-2016 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 06-04-2016, 01:14 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Rhinoh
That's a great old pic. of your truck & grandpa.
Your truck is looking great! It's nice to get it running & titled!
Good Job over there in California.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 AM
mike.rogers
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Rhinoh
That's a great old pic. of your truck & grandpa.
Your truck is looking great! It's nice to get it running & titled!
Good Job over there in California.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

X2 on that.... Great progress too and I bet bringing that old truck back to life put a big smile on your moms face.

Mike

Old 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How difficult was the rewire project?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
How difficult was the rewire project?
I initially started with a universal harness, which I'm sure would have worked fine, but when my wife said to buy the AAW kit, I jumped on it, and it wasn't to bad.

All the circuits are labeled, wires individually colored and labeled, only required a couple minor things not included in kit. Very happy with results.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! Will try that.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:52 AM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
Thanks! Will try that.
You're welcome, I'm sure the generic one would've worked fine, but being my first rewire, I went easy route, lol. It was more expensive, but very simple.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:00 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Good to see another one road ready. Here's trusting that the DMV gets you all legal so you can put on some rewarding miles. If possible, give your mom a ride and enjoy the flood of memories triggered.

Enjoy the ride.

I'm with you on the wheels. What are your plans?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Good to see another one road ready. Here's trusting that the DMV gets you all legal so you can put on some rewarding miles. If possible, give your mom a ride and enjoy the flood of memories triggered.

Enjoy the ride.

I'm with you on the wheels. What are your plans?
Thank you brother,
DMV paperwork all done, its non op right now, so no new plates, they won't let me use the black plates as they are not correct year. When ready I just go in and pay to register and its good, and mom got her ride in it, 1st in right around 40 years! Took her around the neighborhood, she was ear to ear smiles.

And for wheels, I have the 15 inch rims Gpa had on it, and even found the '55 Thunderbird hubcaps he had on it, can see em in the old pic, so gonna put some new tires on the 15's and do that for now, the Dodge wheels rub just a little in back and the tires are old, so main reason I want em off.

They won't be endgame setup, just a flashback until the truck gets further sorted out.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Keep up the good work

Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Great looking truck there, mate!
I really enjoyed wiring mine up. The only dumb thing I did was when I originally wired it up for the left hand side, and changed my mind and relocated the steering to the right, I had to lengthen and shorten quite a bit of the wiring. So, what did I use? The extra bits of wire from the labelled harness. Of course, when it came time to diagnosing why when I put my foot on the brake, the left blinker went off, life became pretty confusing...

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhinoh22

Using an American Autowire kit, I rewired the truck from front to back, all systems are newly wired and working great
I used the kit from American Autowire for my 54 too! Great instructions and great Customer Service when I needed help! Good looking 54!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 AM
ford_0004
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rhinoh22
Been a while since any updates, life caught up with me. Looking to start on small easy jobs, the top of the bed sides have been dinged/bent, is there an easy method to reforming the approx 1" holes that run the length of the bed? I would like to keep as much of the panels as possible as it has all original sheet metal, but the tailgate suffered a bit too as it was a work truck for many decades. Any ideas or links would be awesome

I'm also considering the Crown Vic front end swap as opposed the the Toyota steering box swap, and maybe just going for the whole 4.6L/trans from similar car. Has anyone done this swap or have any suggestions? I'm not looking for it to be a hot rod, just reliable driver.
Hi there I've been reading your build post . Nice job on the mustang by the way . Just picked up a 53 except I need to find a lot of parts but plan doing the Crown Vic swap . From the research I've done the Crown Vic front clip is the same frame width if you look it up on you tube there a guy that's got a video of his swap it has several parts to it looks good plus he used the 4.6l/trans. Along with a grand marquis rear suspension .So I may just do all three as well, plus all your wiring will be there but video was good enough it will show you what he had to do . From what I've found here in central Ohio is a Crown Vic police intercepter can be found as low as $800.00 . After the swap the the wheel bolt pattern will be different.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford_0004
Hi there I've been reading your build post . Nice job on the mustang by the way . Just picked up a 53 except I need to find a lot of parts but plan doing the Crown Vic swap . From the research I've done the Crown Vic front clip is the same frame width if you look it up on you tube there a guy that's got a video of his swap it has several parts to it looks good plus he used the 4.6l/trans. Along with a grand marquis rear suspension .So I may just do all three as well, plus all your wiring will be there but video was good enough it will show you what he had to do . From what I've found here in central Ohio is a Crown Vic police intercepter can be found as low as $800.00 . After the swap the the wheel bolt pattern will be different.
Thanks, yes I've found decent info on it and it's ease of install, but my metal working skills are to amateur for frame work, and can't find a shop around town willing to do it as they never have before. Crown Vics around here are a little more than $800, but if I could find a shop to install IFS, rear end, and motor/trans, so I could wire it up, I'd jump all over it. Looks like I'll have to find a shop further away if that's the route I take.

Quick Reply: My 54 F100 project