1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 54 F100 project

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 PM
desi778
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going back to your original post...
i bought a new factory replacement master cylinder from Mac's for around $80.00

Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Thanks Desi, I have thought about it and will probably just replace master cylinder and all 4 wheel cylinders to be safe, I have tools and ability to rebuild em, but after 30 years off the road old gal deserves the few extra bucks to get her going again.

Have just about got it ready to attempt to start, still trying to figure out how much to drop the voltage to at the + side of coil since I put all new wires in and there is no resistor wire and inline ballast yet, don't want to fry the coil.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rhinoh22
The Mustang is my baby, was my very first car and I've managed to keep it. It's currently running a 351w punched out a few extra cubes backed by a 5-speed. Have got the body just about ready for paint and I'm putting the finishing touches on the interior. Then the money starts getting funneled into the F100.

Worked at a Ford dealer and picked up the 17" 5 spokes off a mechanic for a good price. Had to put some spacers on the fit properly but really changed the look of the car from its old 14" slot mags.
Rhinoh, just stumbled across this thread and saw your Mustang. That's a '70 isn't it? My first car was a '69 Mustang Coupe and I would give anything to have it back. Hard to find the Coupe's these days, everyone kept the Fastbacks to restore and the Coupe's went to the crusher.

I hope you'll post photos after you get it painted!

-DV

Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Will do Dora, hoping to get it painted soon, holidays put the brakes on progress on the 2 projects but hope to get back on em soon. Although also picked up a 1964 Galaxie as my son is nearing the all to scary driving age.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Update

O.K., a few people asked for photos when the 1st project got paint, despite not being a Ford truck . Here's the Mustang, just about wrapped up allowing funds to make their way towards the 54.

Now I need to figure out where to start. I'm thinking about having a shop do some of my major work, just because I'm not to comfortable redoing my front suspension, steering box, and setting truck up for a new motor/tranny. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Central Valley area of CA? The truck isn't mobile so will have to be towed/trailered if I do this.

I want to tear the body off and start cleaning off the frame. What is a good rearend to look for to put under it? I'm planning on an Explorer 8.8 for the Mustang, would that be a good option for the truck?

Thanks in advance for any tips

Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Doraville
Senior User
O.K., a few people asked for photos when the 1st project got paint, despite not being a Ford truck . Here's the Mustang, just about wrapped up allowing funds to make their way towards the 54.
Sweet, sweet, sweet! My first car was a '69 Mustang coupe. I'd give anything to have that car back. That is a very good-looking '70 model you have there. I always liked the grille and headlights on the '70 better.

Last edited by Doraville; 09-04-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas

Now I need to figure out where to start. I'm thinking about having a shop do some of my major work, just because I'm not to comfortable redoing my front suspension, steering box, and setting truck up for a new motor/tranny. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Central Valley area of CA? The truck isn't mobile so will have to be towed/trailered if I do this.

I want to tear the body off and start cleaning off the frame. What is a good rearend to look for to put under it? I'm planning on an Explorer 8.8 for the Mustang, would that be a good option for the truck?

Thanks in advance for any tips
Been a while since I been on here but I just happen onto this thread and wanted to respond. I did an 8.8 rear end under my 53 and it fit great with little effort. Just wished I had of waited and got one that had disc brakes but at the time i was in a hurry to finish the truck. (still not finished). You can put just about anything back there several guys have done the 9 inch and when I got my 53 it had a GM 14 bolt. Thats why I yanked it out and put the 8.8.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Thanks Lakota, guess when I go pick one for my Mustang, I'll have to grab a second for the truck. Our local pick a part does 50% weekends once in a while so can get 2 for the price of 1!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM
FP
Elder User
An absolutely great job on the Mustang. Love it....

Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 AM
edsf100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE. Give one of these guys a call for a shop in your area. They might be able to help you. Northern California F100 Elite provided by Bravenet.com

Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Rhinoh22
Junior User
Thanks Ed! Will do

Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
So got the 12v solenoid installed and mostly wired in today, still working on ign. switch to solenoid wiring. But have been wondering about my heater, its a simple box with I think just 1 dial control, wondered if anyone knew origins of it or if there was a better setup to go with.

Also, on engine side of firewall, there is so type of sealant around the holes for heater hoses, wondered if there was a cover missing or if anyone had an idea for all the holes and black sealant?
I am not sure they looked the same on your truck but my original 56 looks like this:

DinnerHill SpeedShop: Heater

I didn´t have a picture of the back but it looks like it would fit your holes, though it looks like someone has made some more of them.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the toyota power steering on one of my 56 F-100's but for my F-250 I would like to try the toyota manual steering box. If I understand corrrectly, the steering turn ratio is a considerable improvement over the stock manual steering box. Anyone have a Toyota manual steering box laying around or experience in doing this swap?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I don't know where you are in the valley and which work you want help with but my best friend has a shop in Oakdale called Future Customs and he also works at PDT(Performance Dyno Tune) which is also in Oakdale. They are a full service shop and turn out some very nice projects. His name is Rhys, if you are interested.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
I have the toyota power steering on one of my 56 F-100's but for my F-250 I would like to try the toyota manual steering box. If I understand corrrectly, the steering turn ratio is a considerable improvement over the stock manual steering box. Anyone have a Toyota manual steering box laying around or experience in doing this swap?
There is a correction/update on my Toyota PS install article: The conversion pitman arm sold for the PS box will also fit the manual box.

Quick Reply: My 54 F100 project