Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Lots of great winches out there on the market...wish I had the money to buy a good one but alas I got mine from HF. I don't use it but once or twice a year so spending grand theft bucks on a top-shelf unit wasn't justifible for me. The $69 winch that I did buy has a wired remote and plenty of power...the only issue that I have with it is the cheap wire cable. Get the cable the least bit off on the spool and it will fray.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Remember pulling capacity is different from lifting capacity. It takes a lot less strength to pull something than lift it, otherwise you wouldn't be able to push your truck off the road when it breaks down, or you could lift it up rather than needing a jack.
Also watch at what diameter the rating is taken at. It can pull a lot harder with all the cable out than with the spool full.
Whatever winch you get, make sure it has a roller fairlead, a pair of horizontal rollers the width of the spool that help keep the cable rolling on the spool evenly. Once the cable gets crossed up on the spool it's going to start jamming up and/or snarling. The size of the cable is a good indicator of the winch's power. Get one with a 3/16 or 1/4" cable.
The longer your loading ramps are the less effort your winch will need to load the trailer, avoid short ramps!

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Over the weekend I picked up a good used 20' car trailer. I always thought a winch would be a good thing to have. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience on what a good winch size, brand, type, etc., would be? Anything in particular one should stay away from? Any words of wisdom passed along would be appreciated.

So, what did you end up with and how is it working out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
I agree with others that stated to get the biggest size winch you can get. About two years after buying my trailer I got tired of loading vehicles on it with a come along and pushing.

With the help of my wife (she bought everything), we purchased an aluminum Delta box from JC Whitney, an Optima deep cycle/marine (blue top) battery from Costco, and an 8000 lbs winch with wired remote from Harbor Freight. I don't remember if the channel winch mount came with my winch or if I purchased it separately, but it's a good base to have for mounting. At that time, the whole set up cost about $800 or $850.

I wanted a box in order to protect the battery and the winch from the outside elements. I bought the largest box in order to have room for the winch, battery and also to have plenty of storage for my tie-downs, wood blocks, emergency triangles, small tools, safety cones, etc. Since I tow with two different vehicles, I wanted the trailer to be outfitted with an onboard battery so I wouldn't have to mess with different cables and having to wire both vehicles. Instead, I just have matching 7-pin connectors on the trailer and the two vehicles.

I built a base out of rectangular steel tubing to raise the box and level it with the deck. I also put a layer of 1/4" steel on top of the structure and bolted the box and winch through the metal base. The base is butted up directly against the trailer to prevent any cracking of the trailer tongue and to add support/rigidity. Granted this adds a bit more weight on the tongue, but I center my loads to compensate for the slight increase in the tongue weight.

I've had this set up for at least seven years now and have towed about a dozen parts trucks, as well as my own and my friends's vehicles more than a handful times. The battery is hooked up to the 7-pin connector and is charged when I tow the trailer. I have never kept a battery charger on the battery. The winch has also performed well throughout the years. I knew that the quality of a HF winch isn't as good as Warn or another name brand, but I took my chances, and am pleased that I did. HF now has a 12k lbs winch and I'm thinking about replacing mine just for the heck of it. They no longer sell the 8k winch that I have, but do have a 6k, 9k and 12k models. Just to let you know, my current 8k lbs winch had no problem pulling a 52 F6 with a 16' flatbed on the back onto my trailer. Towing it with my trailer and tow vehicle was another story.

BTW, the box is also a great stopping tool in case you forget to tie down the vehicle and start moving. Don't ask me how I know, but thankfully the box was able to stop my Airflow. The aluminum structure of the storage box is also easy to straighten.

Delta aluminum trailer tongue box - Delta Aluminum Trailer Tongue Boxes - JCWhitney

Optima blue top battery - Amazon.com: Optima 8006-006-FFP BlueTop Group 34 Marine Battery: Automotive

HF winches - Winch - Harbor Freight Tools

Click the image to open in full size.

I really like your setup, Thanks for posting the pictures.

I think my old Warn 8000 is on its last leg, and rather than rebuild it and mess with it I am thinking about maybe getting that HF 12,000 lb winch for $299 next sale coupon I get.

If I do I would do a similar box on the front of the trailer to keep it enclosed and put other stuff in.
I probably wouldn't want the box to be as tall as yours but guess it depends on what I find that will work.
how id that 8k winch holding out for you and what kind of battery charger are you using in there? just a battery tender type setup? and how did you wire it into the trailer?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
i have available a top of the line electric tongue jack that is in nearly new condition if anyone is interested give me a PM.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadsen View Post
So, what did you end up with and how is it working out?

I really like your setup, Thanks for posting the pictures.

I think my old Warn 8000 is on its last leg, and rather than rebuild it and mess with it I am thinking about maybe getting that HF 12,000 lb winch for $299 next sale coupon I get.

If I do I would do a similar box on the front of the trailer to keep it enclosed and put other stuff in.
I probably wouldn't want the box to be as tall as yours but guess it depends on what I find that will work.
how id that 8k winch holding out for you and what kind of battery charger are you using in there? just a battery tender type setup? and how did you wire it into the trailer?

Thanks
Josh, if I were you, get a box as big as you can. Bigger is better! The HF 8k lbs winch that I have has been going strong. I've been able to pull my Panel, my Airflow, and many F1, F2, F3 trucks. Some had the wheels locked. I've even used it to pull an F6 with an 18' flatbed on the back. I also used it to pull a 2004 Silverado on the trailer.

As for the battery, it's an Optima Marine Deep Cycle. I've had it for many years and it has finally died. I never had it on any kind of a charger while the trailer wasn't in use. I recently purchased a solar battery tender and hooked it up to the battery, but the battery is too far gone. I have a 7-way pin round plug and the battery is wired into the plug (see the red/yellow wire). The ground is attached to the trailer.

I've been happy with the set up (battery, winch, box). However, I'm with you on the 12k lbs winch. I may buy one as well next time HF has it on sale for $299, but need to replace the battery first.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Postmaster

19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of
Very informative thread! Thanks for the info.

54 F100
01 F150
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 AM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Ina Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
Lots of great winches out there on the market...wish I had the money to buy a good one but alas I got mine from HF. I don't use it but once or twice a year so spending grand theft bucks on a top-shelf unit wasn't justifible for me. The $69 winch that I did buy has a wired remote and plenty of power...the only issue that I have with it is the cheap wire cable. Get the cable the least bit off on the spool and it will fray.
HF when on sale, along with the "10% discount coupon", makes a 12K winch easier on the wallet. Coworker did that, and was pleased. I have him pull all of my stuff, and the winch never fails. I plan to do the same when my trailer is finished with the overhaul.

I also bought a HF winch for ATV use, probably the same or similar as Charlie's. Mine was on sale for around $50. I mounted it on a piece of steel fastened to the back garage wall, and use it for pulling cars in, plus a clevis (acts like a pulley) in the ceiling for hanging deer.
The rest are just average.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Anyone have a sail boat ? Found something you could use to raise and lower the sail with.

KSL.com Mobile
Old 07-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadsen View Post
Anyone have a sail boat ? Found something you could use to raise and lower the sail with.

KSL.com Mobile
Just so I'm clear, the ad says "Wench for Sail...call Kathrin"

Is she offering services to work on your boat for you??? Arrrrr Matey.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
I was going to add the Harbor Freight winch, some of the truck magazines tested them and gave them a thumbs up. Keep an eye out as they still send out the 25% off coupons and you can find 20% coupons all day.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Elder User

thundersnow70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jeez Josh, being a little hard on our SD wenches aren't you. I just had this conversation with Stu in Iola. I have been looking for a winch for my trailer for a while now. As soon as I get my "spend $300 and get $50 off coupon" in the mail I will be going to Northern Tool to get a #9500 Superwinch for $300. They sell them everyday for $349. Maybe Northern Tool is a local area deal but Superwinch has been around for a while. It also comes with the roller fairlead and 6ft cable remote if i recall. Double that with a ****** block and I should be able to pull any turd onto my trailer. Tires or not. On a side note I have learned that the ones minus the tires slide easy on a piece of steel siding. Now I just need to get the square trailer tire shake figured out and I will be set!
Mark
Working on these old trucks is easy, all you have to do is................................................ ....
Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Postmaster

jniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to behold
old thread , but one more option

http://jniolon.classicpickup.com/car...car_hauler.htm

later,
John
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Postmaster

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
Cool trailers and winches. The Harbor freight 12000 lb has a lot of good press/satisfied users. I went at this a bit differently. My tilt trailer is very well balanced to stay tilted when empty. I feared that a heavy winch like I wanted would not allow the trailer to tilt on it's own, or stay up. Mounting it on the tongue wouldn't work as it would tilt the trailer back down when pulling. Last summer I got an almost new 12000 lb warn winch in a trade so I mounted it between the frame rails of my F350 tow rig/retriever. Then I made up an A frame or fairlead that plugs into some sockets on the rear of my flatbed and built in a flush mount for an angled brace. The unit is easily lifted out and the winch is entirely below the deck as well. The 1 1/2" treated deck is routed out for a diamond plate hatch cover that I haven't cut yet. The trailer is 12,000 lb capacity and the winch will pull anything I can back up to. Nothing is safe anymore Just another variation on an old theme I thought I would share. BTW my diesel cornbinder runs perfectly. It just happened to be next to me so I used it for demonstration purposes.......
Attached Images

'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 AM