"New" 47 Ford truck, door glass question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
bigf350sd
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"New" 47 Ford truck, door glass question

Hi, I just got a 47 pickupo from my dad this past Thursday (3 days ago), and am already beginning to do some work on it. It's a good running, and fairly nice driving truck, already, but the restore on it is going on 25 years old, and it's age is beginning to show. I had a question, and did a search here about door glass, and door window glass, but never did find my answer. Maybe you guys can help. I was looking at the door windows, and got to noticing how the edges of the glass are starting to whiten, and look rough, as they do so often in old vehicles, and started looking at the frame around the glass. I noticed that the edge of the frame appears to narrow back down, to about the same size as the glass itself, where it goes into the seal around the door window opening. I got to wondering if it would be possible to have a new set of glasses recut, but have them cut it the same size as the old glass, INCLUDING the size of the frame, or in other words, have a solid piece of glass with no frame, that is the same dimensions as the old glass WITH the frame on it, therefore being able to install a door glass into the truck without a frame surrounding the glass. As I mentioned, it appears that the seal in the door would be fine for this, as it is the size of the glass anyway, because of the way the glass frame narrows back down, but what I don't know, is if the glass frame currently on the glass is required to mount the glass, or what, because I haven't taken the door apart yet. Any ideas about this? Can I have new glass put in without the glass surround frame?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you talking about deleting the vent windows and going to a one peace glass? If so they are out there. Someone will be along to tell you about the complete kits. At least I think they are out there for your truck. They are out there for most all of them. Myself I like the vent window. It's my air conditioner and ashtray and garbage can. Only food stuff that birds and mice eat. Don't slam me for littering guys.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
No vent windows on these truck, that started in '48 with the F Series. If I understand correctly, you want to eliminate the frame surrounding the glass. If that's the case, its actually very easy. The '40-'41 (nearly identical door to the '47) had frameless glass. The window channel in the door is different, just replace with '40-'41 window channel lower window track with the earlier style one and have a glass shop cut or order up window glass for '40-'41 pickups. It will cost a few hundrd for everything, but actually not a hard ting to retrofit. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
bigf350sd
Junior User
Well, you know, the vent window thing never came to my mind, because, if 47's had them, then they've already been removed, I don't have them. What I'm talking about is just having a glass in the door without the metal frame surrounding it, just solid glass. Like I said, the metal frame on there is wide enough to go over the edge of the glass, but then it tapers back down to about the same size as the thickness of the glass where it goes into the door seal, therefore, I think the seal in the door would seal around a piece of glass just as well as it seals to that metal frame that's on the glass now. I just don't know if the added thickness of that frame is needed to keep the glass tight as it rolls down into the door, and if the frame is used to actually mount the glass into the regulator, or anything much at all about it, because I haven't taken it apart yet. If you say there's kits out there made to remove vent windows (for those that have them still) then maybe some of those kits have 'frameless' glass? No idea, I'll dig further, but hopefully someone else can chime in as well. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM
bigf350sd
Junior User
Hey! Thanks a ton 46fordtruck! That's EXACTLY what I'm wanting to do. I'll be looking up those parts ASAP! Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Right on Gary. A rep for ya Bud.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM
bigf350sd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 46fordtruck
No vent windows on these truck, that started in '48 with the F Series. If I understand correctly, you want to eliminate the frame surrounding the glass. If that's the case, its actually very easy. The '40-'41 (nearly identical door to the '47) had frameless glass. The window channel in the door is different, just replace with '40-'41 window channel lower window track with the earlier style one and have a glass shop cut or order up window glass for '40-'41 pickups. It will cost a few hundrd for everything, but actually not a hard ting to retrofit. Good luck.
Hi 46fordtruck, do you think this kit right here is what I'd need to do the job we're talking about, just install this and put in a piece of 40-41 glasd, or is there something else inside the door is need to change?
http://www.gearheadworld.com/store/1932-1947-Ford-Truck/1940-40-1941-41-Ford-Truck-Door-Run-Window-Channel-Kit-P2901C65.aspx

Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
bigf350sd
Junior User
Well, that link is correct, but not clickable, let me try again.

http://www.gearheadworld.com/store/1...-P2901C65.aspx

Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM
toprodz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there Bigf350sd
I have seen quite a few 46pickups that have not used the metal frames,
Question for you,
If you are not going to use the metal frames that go around the windows, are you interested in selling them? as I have been looking for some for my 46 panel delivery van that I am building. I already have the lower channels so you could still use yours on the new glass, I just need the peice you described
I hope you don't mind me asking
Kind Regards
Peter Gough

Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM
bigf350sd
Junior User
Originally Posted by toprodz
Hi there Bigf350sd
I have seen quite a few 46pickups that have not used the metal frames,
Question for you,
If you are not going to use the metal frames that go around the windows, are you interested in selling them? as I have been looking for some for my 46 panel delivery van that I am building. I already have the lower channels so you could still use yours on the new glass, I just need the peice you described
I hope you don't mind me asking
Kind Regards
Peter Gough
Peter, that's a possibility, but I'll have to look into this a little more, and make sure I can get what I need, and make sure everything is going to work properly, before I would get rid of anything I remove from in there. It may be a few weeks before I can get up any parts to start trying, too, this economy is killin' me...LOL

Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 AM
jailbar
Freshman User
Peter,
I have two sets of the Metal window frames that I did not use in my build as I installed power windows. One set has no glass in them and the other set still has the glass. Let me know if you are interested.
Jailbar

Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 AM
toprodz
New User
Hi There Jailbar, Yes I am interested, If you want to sell both sets I am happy to buy them as a mate of mine will take one set,
Let me know what you want for them and where you are located so we can organise something. You can email me if you like toprodz@iprimus.com.au
Thanx
Peter

Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
bigf350sd, that is the kit you'll need. Basically what you will be doing is setting up your truck with the factory '40-'41 style setup, which is what makes this swap pretty easy.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
bigf350sd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 46fordtruck
bigf350sd, that is the kit you'll need. Basically what you will be doing is setting up your truck with the factory '40-'41 style setup, which is what makes this swap pretty easy.
Thanks, 46fordtruck, I'll be going that route when it comes time, and I'm also looking at maybe doing a V-butt windshield. I just got the truck from my dad, and even though the windshield frame is rust free, the windshield(s) are new, and he's tried to put a new seal in twice, he couldn't keep it from leaking, to the point that there is now silicone down the center on the rubber seal, that's visible from the outside. Needless to say, that's gotta go. I don't know if they do make it or not, or if it would even be possible, but I wish I could find a ONE PIECE gasket for the split windshield, where the center strip is actually part of the main surrounding gasket, but has the channel for the glass to go in on both sides, like normal. Then we wouldn't have to deal with trying to seal the 2 individual gaskets to each other.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Johnnyj9229
New User
I also have a 47 pickup 1/2 ton and need to replace a window regulator. Has anyone removed one of these windows. I looked in the green and yellow service manual and that shows only up to the 46, the 47 is different.......not sure how the glass comes out. Any advice would help.

Quick Reply: "New" 47 Ford truck, door glass question