Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Junior User

Samorkand is starting off with a positive reputation.
Third Brake Light

I read through several posts here about this and I see theres a specific wire Ford put in to do this. I didnt see one for my Pickup in paticular and just wanted to see if anyone has done this and could direct me to the right spot. Some said theirs was in the engine compartment adn others under the drivers side door. I have a 1999 F250 SD Crew Cab. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Of course there's a specific wire for the CMHSL. Otherwise, it wouldn't work. Generally, it comes off the brake pedal switch, then splits to the CHMSL and the MFS, perhaps elsewhere.

What, exactly, are you trying to do or learn?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Most of the older trucks ran this wire down the driver's side under the sill plate, and then up the rear driver's side corner of the cab. They swapped the location of the fuse box to the other side on the later trucks, so it might run along the passenger side sill plate. You can check Autozone's site under repair guides, and see if they have a wiring location illustration. They might not on a 99 model, but I know they do on the later models.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Junior User

I bought a topper and I'm trying to hook up the Third Brake light on the topper. From what I have gathered reading here its a green wire but seems to be in various locations depending on year of truck. I was hoping someone here could direct me to the spot whos already done this. If not I have a few places to look and Ill track it down. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Junior User

Thanks Franklin I'll check that out. Appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM