6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Picture of my New EGR Valve (Carbon Chunk)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM
semperstrokin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR marbles

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Thanks for sharing billbot! I'm wondering if this is a common problem?
Troy its common enough to write an article about it . Click here.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
billbot
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the link. I pulled this up the other day but forgot where it came from. Between you browsing on my phone, home laptop, or other computer I lose things sometimes.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by semperstrokin
Troy its common enough to write an article about it . Click here.
Thanks semperstrokin...

EGR marbles is caused by a slow leakin EGR cooler.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
billbot
More Turbo
I'm in denial

Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree the EGR is worthless

however, deleting it causes issues with certain trucks. Especially those with the latest PCM strategies from Ford (06 & 07's...and earlier's that were updated). It causes the fan to act wrong...if not at all.

I have my EGR turned off with my SRL tune. I'm sure a little gas flow still exists past the valve, but nothing like when it's operating per factory spec

If I ever have to get inside the motor, I plan on getting the BPD round cooler.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
What's strange is when I changed the EGR valve my intake manifold looked dry and I typically change the coolant every 2 years and the coolant level never drops one bit.

Now that I thought about it a little more the shape of the carbon chunk had to be formed in the intake manifold (one side being very flat) and not the EGR cooler itself.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 AM
billbot
More Turbo
Troy I'm in the same boat. No coolant loss, no wetness in or around the valve, and the chunks were flat on one side. I'm going to call them wafers.

I was thinking it would be interesting to have them analyzed somehow to see what their make up is exactly. This would be the only way to rule out whether or not they contain coolant in them, but to be honest I don't see how they can.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
I agree the EGR is worthless

however, deleting it causes issues with certain trucks. Especially those with the latest PCM strategies from Ford (06 & 07's...and earlier's that were updated). It causes the fan to act wrong...if not at all.

I have my EGR turned off with my SRL tune. I'm sure a little gas flow still exists past the valve, but nothing like when it's operating per factory spec

If I ever have to get inside the motor, I plan on getting the BPD round cooler.

As long as the EGR Valve is Plugged in it shouldnt affect the Fan. plus keeps PCM Happier.

Im deleated but the egr valve is installed and Plugged in and ZERO Fan Issues

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 AM
billbot
More Turbo
Sounds like the way to go if you do the delete. I was under the impression the fan issue was still there for some reason. It is something I haven't looked into too much. I always figured I would just replace the egr/oil cooler at the same time and most likely switch to a non silicate coolant.

My main concern if I delete the thing is getting inspected. I don't need that headache. What do you think of the sneaky delete setup instead of a full delete?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
As long as the EGR Valve is Plugged in it shouldnt affect the Fan. plus keeps PCM Happier.

Im deleated but the egr valve is installed and Plugged in and ZERO Fan Issues
yeah, but then you have that thing sitting out there in the open. I like the idea below if going the delete route
Originally Posted by billbot
My main concern if I delete the thing is getting inspected. I don't need that headache. What do you think of the sneaky delete setup instead of a full delete?
this is the Win/Win option if you want to delete. Get the exhaust port welded shut on your EGR cooler and the sneaky up-pipe will remove the EGR scoop.

I've read several cases where guys see cooler EGT's and quicker turbo spool time with that scoop/up-pipe change

Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
With some of these PCM stratigy it looks for EGR Flow with the IAT2 sensor and the EBP Sensor to change Value when it commands EGR Valve open.

If they did a Visual inspection and egr cooler was gone then it would Fail This is why somee go with a BPD welded shut cooler or Blocker Plate cause this still looks like system is intact

Basicaly when they plug into the OBDII port they are just using the Sensors already on the vehicle to check Emission as the OBDII system monitors its own emissions and will turn on the CEL if there is a problem
So if they plug into the OBII port will they see that the egr is non functional or not ???

I have thought about it, but here in Calif you have to bring it in every 2 years after truck hits 4 years old.

Can it be done ??????

Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM
billbot
More Turbo
Any CEL is an auto fail so without tuning I don't think it would pass. I would think there's a way to get around it by loading a tune to fool the PCM.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by billbot
Troy I'm in the same boat. No coolant loss, no wetness in or around the valve, and the chunks were flat on one side. I'm going to call them wafers.

I was thinking it would be interesting to have them analyzed somehow to see what their make up is exactly. This would be the only way to rule out whether or not they contain coolant in them, but to be honest I don't see how they can.
My advice is to not worry about the analysis and just save your money. If your concerned about this issue causing you to be stranded, just carry a spare EGR valve and a small crow bar behind the seat and your golden!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM
billbot
More Turbo
My old valve is cleaned and ready to go with a new gasket kit.

Interestingly, getting the carbon wet with water completely changed them. It formed black sticky paste.

Think about it. If you sent the pieces to be analyzed an knew you didn't have a leak, would that be worth it? Especially considering the time and money it will take to replace your coolers. And thinking about it every time you're on a trip out of town wondering if your egr cooler is going to pop. I'd be willing to pay a couple bucks for some piece of mind. That's what the sgii is all about.