Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost Problem - Dealer Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy
Blow the picture up and you'll see horizontal lines, most pronounced on the right side of the opening. It's there. Like I wrote earlier, on the truck in the mud its more visible in the print copy I have than the online brochure.
Yeah I did zoom in on it quite a bit...I just don't see it.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try changing the angle of your screen....look slightly down at it. I just tried that and it's more apparent from a downward angle.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the lines: those are the intercooler itself. There certainly is no grille on any of them. It looks exactly like mine (no grille) - I see those lines - the intercooler.

Here is a zoomed pic of that trucks intercooler on the cover page, I am absolutely sure there is no grille:

Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
I see the lines: those are the intercooler itself. There certainly is no grille on any of them. It looks exactly like mine (no grille) - I see those lines - the intercooler.

Here is a zoomed pic of that trucks intercooler on the cover page, I am absolutely sure there is no grille:

Exactly!!!!

I just saw a bunch of 2012's up close and personal today...there is no grille on any of them.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
The horizontal lines extend all the way to the right edge of the opening. If that is the intercooler you would also have to see those body colored lower brackets that sit in front of the intercooler (L-shaped on the left, reverse L on the right). Those brackets are very, very pronounced and forward in the opening. They aren't visible, so there has to be an insert. Or they somehow removed them, which opens the door for another interesting mod.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
It's the intercooler itself as Flixden said. A grill would sit more proud and kind of flush with a slight offset in the opening.

I haven't noticed any performance or MPG's changes since I installed mine last summer but I'm removing it anyhow.

I think the gaping hole makes the truck look incomplete whereas the grill looks much better.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 AM
n2umr
Senior User
There is definitely no grill on that truck, ri_truck_guy is smokin something good, or at least he wants there to be a grill there so bad that his mind actually thinks it's there. You are seeing the intercooler plain and simple.

Mark

Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy
The horizontal lines extend all the way to the right edge of the opening. If that is the intercooler you would also have to see those body colored lower brackets that sit in front of the intercooler (L-shaped on the left, reverse L on the right). Those brackets are very, very pronounced and forward in the opening. They aren't visible, so there has to be an insert. Or they somehow removed them, which opens the door for another interesting mod.
No, you would not see the brackets given the angle of that shot. There is no insert.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Alright guys....I concede....

Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Champ198
Elder User
There is lots of chatter on the F150 EcoBoost boards on the air charge cooler condensation. This was an issue on the 2008 6.4 PSD air charge cooler. Water would condense in the turbo air cooler. When the engine was rev up as in heavy acceleration, the water would be sucked into the motor, causing the sputtering. Ford redesigned the 2011 6.7 powerstroke to have a water cooled turbo air cooler to eliminate the issue.

What does this have to do with the F150 turbos? Same thing is happening.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is the problem with early years of new designs. These engines are getting so technical that just a slight anything can cause issues.
I'm kind of following the EcoBoost engines out of interest to see how the turbos really hold up in the real world. As an old Ford Factory Trained Tech, Ford has had a lot of turbo issues over the years. I don't remember how many that I replaced or repaired on the Mustang back in the 80s.
Not that other companies don't have issues, The new Cummins sure do.
Anyway thanks for letting me stick my nose into this discussion.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:08 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would seriously hesitate to say the guys at Ford don't know what their doing. A strong desire to plug up holes that just don't look natural or to our liking could create a serious issue when it's time to ask a dealer for warranty repairs.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure what was changed on the 15's to allow the factory LP holder to go in front of the intercooler, but you could look into making these modifications if you are trying to keep a style. Of course, that may not solve the warranty problems, but it's your truck.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:39 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
I'm not sure what was changed on the 15's to allow the factory LP holder to go in front of the intercooler, but you could look into making these modifications if you are trying to keep a style. Of course, that may not solve the warranty problems, but it's your truck.
Is the 2015 intercooler in the same place as 2014?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it is, but there are some engineering differences. They made a point at a Ford event that you can have the LP in front of it now. That doesn't mean you can do it on the old ones, it means they changed something. IDK what, but if you found out you might be able to adapt it to yours.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Problem - Dealer Crazy?