N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

DMV Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DMV Help

So i have a '65 f250. I am sure it hasnt been registered in well over 7 years. I have an old registration card for it and some other paperwork from the last registered owner/ who i dont know but can get ahold of maybe. What is my best route for walking into DMV and getting this thing registered in my name.

thanks

Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
First, do you have the pinkslip? If yes, then that's all you need.

You will have to pay all the back reg fee's which will probably be expensive.

If you don't have the pinkslip, you need to locate the owner of record and either get the pink from him (her) or have them fill out and sign the necessary forms from the DMV to release liability and transfer owneship to you.

FYI, your back reg fee's might be more than the truck is worth.

Stewart

Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

it was last non-oped

Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

and from the DMV website if it is out of computer then they can dig up old fees due...

Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
and from the DMV website if it is out of computer then they can dig up old fees due...

dmv went digtal a few years back so that old saying of it out the system dosnt apply any more but since it was noopped u should have any fees

Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
it was last non-oped
You left that tidbit of info out of your post.

Stewart

Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

story of my life Stewart hahaha. I according to the guy i got the truck from it hasnt been registered in 10 years or so in which case it would have been "out of the system" before they went digital. Im just trying to figure out if im better off walking in there with the vin # and asking them about the vehicle without leading into any other questions about it OR should i go in there and tell them what i have and what bit of paperwork i have.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
and hope you get a friendly clerk.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
All you need is a bill of sale from the person you bought it from. They will check the status, find the non-op, and tell you what the transfer fees are, and what the registration fee will be. Since it is a 65 no smog will be required, but they will want to see proof of insurance before you can get your new tags. If it happens to be out of the system, then you will need to get it weighed, and have a brake check done before you can get it registered.

Jim

Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

I was thinking about the lamp and safety check might be required

Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 AM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nolan, If the truck is "out of the system" you will need to get a vin # verification. I'm going through the same thing with DMV right now. I had a sighed pink slip and last reg. card but DMV told me all vehicles that are out of the system have to have the vin.# verified by a "trained" DMV employee, Peace Officer, or private vin. verification service. Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:30 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Good to know thanks Reno

Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyrelic
Nolan, If the truck is "out of the system" you will need to get a vin # verification. I'm going through the same thing with DMV right now. I had a sighed pink slip and last reg. card but DMV told me all vehicles that are out of the system have to have the vin.# verified by a "trained" DMV employee, Peace Officer, or private vin. verification service. Good Luck!
I'm going through the same thing and what I was told I had to do is the same as Rustyrelic with one major difference; I was told to have the VIN verified by a CHP officer as they are the only LEO that is "qualified" to perform the service. I called the CHP and was told to make an appointment with the "verification officer." I was also told that I had to bring the truck to them since they won't come to me. All the more frustrating since the truck can't be driven at the moment (even if it was, I'd be driving illegally since it's not registered or insured) and it has been in my family since at least 1964.

However, being a retired state of California employee, I can verify you'll get three different answers from three different people based on their training, manager and, unfortunately, their attitude at that particular moment.

Perhaps a call to the Sacramento main office will provide the correct info.

Good luck to us both!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddylove
However, being a retired state of California employee, I can verify you'll get three different answers from three different people based on their training, manager and, unfortunately, their attitude at that particular moment.
I KNEW IT!!! That explains the DMV, food stamp office, unemployment office, and the medi-cal office! I love how they tell you to bring the truck to the CHP knowing full well it is not registered for the streets. After they verify the VIN, they hand you a ticket for driving an unregistered/insured vehicle on their well maintained streets.

Jim

Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

The only fortunate part about what you said bigdaddy is the fact that i have a few friends at the CHP office and one of which im pretty sure can verify then vin for me and would be willing to come to my barn to do so, but ya i agree that it does depend on who you talk to and what mood they are in haha. Perhaps one of these days i will have enough spare time on my "day off" to go find out how my luck is.

Quick Reply: DMV Help