Sponsored by: Moser

2011-2012 Shudder Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM
mvedepo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011-2012 Shudder Issue?

Was reading on another site about a shudder issue with the 11/12 models. Seems very prevalent there but I don't see anything here. Sounds like a TC issue.

Anyone having this issue?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Richie B
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been having this issue since I got my truck last July. I have a 2011 Scab with a 3.7, 3:73 limited slip rear end. The vibration starts at 40 mph and continues to 80 mph. At 72 the passanger seat shakes so bad that it looks like it is comming apart. The vibration is comming from the rear end, because you feel it in the seats. It has had the wheels balanced 7 times and rotated once. The dealer has had the truck for over 10 weeks in the shop. This is a truck that I ordered with some extra equipment on it. The service department has given up on the problem. I have now figured out what is wrong with the truck. On the two wheel drive trucks you have a two piece drive shaft that runs into a swing bearing. During the assembly of the truck some of them don't have the drive shaft and bearing alligned correctly and this is causing the vibration. On a 4x4 you have a single driveshaft from the transmission and it eliminates the swing bearing and this problem. If you don't want this problem I recommend that you drive as many two wheel drive trucks till you find one that doesn't vibrate or get a 4X4 . I am eliminating my problem by trading this trucK for a 2012. I drove 7 trucks at the dealership before I found one that doesn't vibrate.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM
76gdmn
Mountain Pass
I have a 4x4 with just over 2,000 miles. Mine shudders at 5-6 mph when accelerating from a stop but you don't really notice it because it seems everytime I am at a stop sign or light and accelerate that there is a concrete joint or bump in the road so the shudder gets dissolved in the road.

I will say that when towing 7000 lbs the shudder at 5 mph is much more noticeable.

On the other forums I have read, it seems that when guys take their trucks in the dealer just shims it and then when it still happens they say it is a normal operating condition. I'm not going to have the dealer do anything until Ford has determined exactly what it is and releases a fix for it. There is also supposedly a 55mph shudder but I have not experienced this.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Richie B
Freshman User
shutter

I have read so many complaints about this problem and the fustration that the owners are having, along with the lack of service that they are recieving from Ford Motor Company, that you would think Ford would do something about it. Ford knows about the problem. I know in several cases that the dealer doesn't write a service order, that way there is not a paper trail on your truck. In all the times that my truck spent in the shop not once did I see a service order. This is one way that Ford can get around the lemon law in your state. I think the problem goes back to the quality control on the assembly line or lack of it. It is inconistant and the workers don't care. It is sad that this once great auto manufacture is just throwing these trucks together without any concern as to how they are turning out.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
If you had a powerful union backing you, knowing that you couldn't get fired for doing a half assed job, and that if you just milk it til retirement you get a buttload of benefits, then what is your incentive to work hard or well? It's almost as hard to fire these people as it is to fire a teacher.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Richie B
Freshman User
I understand what you are saying. Unless the shuttering issue or the vibration issue is not a safety issue then nothing will be done about it and the customer will have to live with the problem. Like I have said, drive as many trucks on the dealer's lot and purchase the one that is the gives the smoothest ride. I am trading my truck in this week. In the past two weeks I have driven 14 trucks and I have picked the one that rode the best. Hopefully this will be the last one I purchase for a while.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM
lariat50
New User
Im having the same problem with my truck. 2012 Lariat screw with 145" wheel base, 5L motor, the new 6 spd tranny wtih 3.55 gears ELD. Between 50-60 KMH the truck is running in 5th gear, sometimes 6th gear. Theres a slight shudder and it feels as if the motors bogging out, took it to the dealer that I bought it from and they said its the tranny trying to decide which gear to go into, whether to downshift or not and thats the way they were designed.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Watt-maker
Freshman User
On my truck, 4x4 EcoScrew 157" wb max tow off road, I only have the 5-15 mph shutter. It has a two-piece drive shaft as well. To me it feels alot like spring wrap happening. As the rear axle rotates the pinion up it changes the angle of the rear driveshaft and the corresponding angle of the rear axle pinion yoke. I'm not holding my breath for ford to find a solution. I only have 1500 miles but I don't plan on taking it to the dealer at this point. I'm either going to buy/fab some ladder bar(s) or buy the roadmaster setup.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Watt-maker
Freshman User
Also, I have seen quite a few F250-350 super dutys with the same configuration ( crew cab 6.5' bed) that have the same shutter. They also have a two piece shaft. Most noticable on diesels ( low end torque like the ecoboost ). Some folks have had luck with ladder bars while others have had better luck with a one piece drive shaft. Remember the excursion? They had a bottom thick leaf that had a snubber on the front that would contact right under the spring bolt to help with this issue ( shutter ).

Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
76gdmn
Mountain Pass
I guess I should add mine is also a crew cab with 6.5' bed. This is promising to hear that one of these products helps as its the first I have heard of it, it just sucks I'll have to spend more money for it. I'm having more difficulty with my truck throwing a cel for P0111 and it keeps deactivating my remote start somehow.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM
red twin turbo-12
New User
Low speed shutter on 157" wheelbase F-150

Was hoping to find a TSB here, mine is going in tomorrow. Also has the low speed shutter when starting from a full stop. Did not notice this problem when truck was unloaded, but I normally carry around 1200LB of parts and tools daily. The problem is MUCH more noticeable towing. I also have the two piece drive shaft. My neighbor has the same truck with shorter wheel base and no issue because he has the single piece drive shaft. His appears to be aluminum and mine is made of steel (rusty)?

I am considering bringing it in to the dealer with trailer in tow. I agree it has something to do with the drive shaft angle. I even tried with the 4x4 engaged, and the problem seem to be less noticeable, so it is a rear drive problem.

I am loving my truck other than this problem!!! Have had it just over two months and already have over 7500 miles on it. I am getting 17-18mpg loaded with city driving, and 18-21 on the highway so far! Just got back from a trip pulling a heavy trailer, 450 miles of combined highway, two lane roads, and off road down a logging trail in the U.P. and averaged 9.7mpg combined! Trailer weight 12,750LB, NO weight distribution, tongue weight 1240LB, GCWR of 19,500.

Do not jump all over me, I know I exceeded some numbers here. I did not load the enclosed haulmark trailer, so did not know the true weight until 1/4 way into trip and was curious to know what the weight was, so pulled onto a cat scale at a stop while the other pickups were fueling up. I have done alot of towing and I knew I had some serious weight behind me. There was NO sway, no white knuckle driving, RPM's never exceeded 3000 and only down shifted ONCE while in cruise going up big bridge at Green Bay.

Before this truck I only owned 3/4 ton trucks. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. And gentleman, let me tell you this 1/2 ton rocks! The power of the ecoboost is incredible and what a smooth ride! Ford has this one dialed in right for any towing task, the engine runs better towing than solo!

Monday the dealer will be looking at the shutter issue, wish me luck and I will post back of the results.

Last edited by red twin turbo-12; 05-13-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: 3.5L ecoboost, 3.73 rear end, 6.5' box, maxtow, drove in tow/haul mode, 5th gear selected
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM
76gdmn
Mountain Pass
Well since the dealer has replacd my IAT sensor once and had to reprogram the remote start, it threw the same code remote start stopped working AGAIN, they are going to warranty it and put a new ECM in the truck. They told me to not do anything for the shudder until the new computer is installed, but based on everyone's comments and my experience with the truck, the computer will not fix the shudder. But at least I should have all updated TSB's.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 AM
GameChaser
New User
I bought a 2012 EB SCREW on Friday, (Today is Sunday Two Days Later), noticed yesterday the vibration and shuddering at 70 mph and above. I have 150 miles on the truck right now. Plan on going to the dealership Monday. Definitely going to make sure to get a service order to document everything. Hope this can be fixed. Love everything else about this truck so far but this really bums me out.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Absolutely no shudder issue with mine.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Richie B
Freshman User
Drive several other Eco Boost SCrew at the dealership and see if they shake at 70mpg. I have done that and the dealership bought mine back and put me in another truck. I did drive 14 trucks from the lot before I purchased the 2012.

Quick Reply: 2011-2012 Shudder Issue?