1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

03 F150 SuperCrew 4BT Conversion

Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 F150 SuperCrew 4BT Conversion

Finally picked up what i've been looking for yesterday in Baton Rouge LA. I found a supercrew with a blown head gasket (still runs good just a little coolant in exhaust and slight water contamination to the oil). It was one i could afford and hauled it home. I've got to get the 4.6 and 4R70W out. I have an A518 that i plan to use. I wished i could find a 47RH cheap and close by so i could rebuild it, but i've got the 518 on hand. It is a 2WD like as is the truck. The down side is no lock-up TC. I hope to get a few bucks for the motor and tranny (enough to get motor mounts etc.) to make the swap. I plan to use auto-world Montana's stuff. They've answered a lot of questions for me that they did not have to answer.

In the Garage Ready to be Disassembled

Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
ewalt98
Senior User
Looks like a good starting point, keep the posts coming!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 AM
brobrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by ewalt98
Looks like a good starting point, keep the posts coming!

Thanks, i hope to keep it moving. I've got a crazy schedule from not to mid august, but hope to keep it moving. I'm thinking about replacing the headgasket before i pull the engine, so i don't have to try to sell a defective engine. Any pointers appreciated.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 PM
brobrad
Senior User
What Part of my wiring Harness and Computer will i need to Keep??

I'm going to pull the 4.6 as soon as i can. I want to make my stock gauges, ac etc. etc work. How much of my wiring harness will i need? Will i need the PCM or computer to make other things function properly?

Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Found Info that lets me know i can keep the tach, temp, oil pressure gauge by using some adapters and a few other tricks to make it all work.

I'm wondering if i should pull the whole cab or pull the front cap. It would seem less trouble to pull the whole cab and set the engine and tranny (adapt cross member etc.) instead of all the "junk" that is on teh inner-fenders etc. Let me know what you think.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Old 05-12-2012, 06:56 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)

YUP, i've been to those sights, but thougt i might get a little help from the folks on this site as well. If it doesn't go anyway i can kill the thread. The posting rate seems to be dead on the very SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW conversion forum for 4BT's

Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
what is the ultimate goal here ? MPG ? What do you think the conversion cost will be ? HOw much do you expect to save, or just a project ?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
What makes the transmission shift up and down ? DO you reuse the FORD computer or ?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 AM
brobrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
What makes the transmission shift up and down ? DO you reuse the FORD computer or ?
It is a project but $ is the bottom line. 4bt's can get 25- 30 mpg. The side note to that is I will run svo in it. I already do that with my psd and it only gets 12 mpg. I am also needing an additional vehicle as my son is just starting to drive. I'll be able to pay for the project shortly this way.

The tranny is hydraulic shift. It will shift based on pressure. I'll have to use a pressure switch to cause OD to work as well.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Slow start

I got the fenders, grill bumper, head lamps etc. off of the front of the truck today. I've gotten a few nibbles on the tranny, but folks want to buy it for less that a core charge and one guy even asked me to gaurentee. I told him to drive the truck. If you want it, we'll pull it. If not, leave it. I haven't heard back from him.

Anyway, i'm trying to leave it together as much as i can so the engine and tranny can be tested by prospective buyers, but may have to pull it anyway. I'll try to post pics later on.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
240phil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very awesome project.

This is something that we have been talking about since I got my truck less than a year ago.
Just never been in a position to really get into it and see what it would take to get it done.

Joined the site just to follow this build.

Looking forward to lots of info and details and pics

Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by 240phil
Very awesome project.

This is something that we have been talking about since I got my truck less than a year ago.
Just never been in a position to really get into it and see what it would take to get it done.

Joined the site just to follow this build.

Looking forward to lots of info and details and pics
thanks, i'm slow moving on it right now, but i hope to pick up the pace soon. I hope i don't disappoint myself or you.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM
brobrad
Senior User
PROGRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I got the engine and tranny out today. There are some do's and don'ts. Do take the throttle body and starter off. The most difficult bolt was from teh passenger side motor mount. I took it out one click at a time. If i had know i was goning to remove the starter, it would not have been so bad. Don't think it will happen in a couple of hours. I almost cut the (pardon the lack of the term) the bar that goes across the front of the truck that is above the core support. The Dodge trucks have that portion of the body that is bolted in. I started to cut it and weld on a flange to reinstall it later, but avoided it thus far. i may do it when i go back in with the 4bt, but my welder is not all that great. the wire feed is eratic. Anyway, i'm still not sure if ill order mounts from Autoworld Montana or reuse the gel mounts from the 4bt. I found an intercooler from a frito-lay van that is top in and out, but i don't know if i would ever find the intake elbow that would fit the tubing. It sure does feel good to have it out and progress underway.

Don't know why photo's are rotated. I fixed them, but it saves in here the same.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM
brobrad
Senior User
Motor mounts

I just went out to take some measurement and to see if i could make the gel mounts work. I noticed the driver side mount has bolts from the top, but the passenger side are from bottom and it looks extremely difficult to get them out. I suppose a swivel and an extension they might come out. Any tips.

BTW getting the fan off without the special tool is no problem. I put my pipe wrench on the rim of the fan pulley and had to use a clamp to turn the fan as my 12" adjustable would not fit. Further i only had one pipe wrench or i could have done it with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 F150 SuperCrew 4BT Conversion