Sponsored by:

Driver's Side Floorboard Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
mrbingsx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's Side Floorboard Knocking

Hey folks, new to the forum and looking for some help.

Whenever I cut the wheel to the left, there is a fairly loud knocking/grinding noise that I can feel through the floorboard.

Brakes have already been replaced, ball joints and tie rods inspected - no problems. Front end was greased (exception to the zirc fitting on the very top of the steering linkage). There is no modifications to the suspension (no lift) and the tires are the standard size (no rubbing in the wheel well). I do not know how long it has been since the shocks/struts were replaced but after inspection they seem to be in OK shape.

I read on this site that some owners were noticing a knocking under their floorboards too because of worn "body mounts". However, the body mounts are directly under the pedals. I don't feel any grinding or knocking under the pedals. It feels like its directly under the floorboard in front of the seat.

Could the body mounts be the issue when turning the wheel or is this something more sinister?

If its the body mount, it would be great if someone could post pics of the procedure. I have some pics that were posted from before but I have no idea where to look on the underside of the truck to find the bolt/nut etc and where I put the floor jack and how high to raise the body... Any help and your thoughts on diagnosing the problem are appreciated . Thanks!

2000 Excursion XLT
7.3L Diesel
149,000 miles

Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
ddivinia
Senior User
Tire robbing?

I just did my front body mounts under the front seats:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ount-swap.html

D.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Check the bushings in your sway bar end links as well. I had replaced mine 2.5 years ago with Napa parts and they have already gone bad. Making nasty noises when turning or going over bumps until I replaced them. I think next time the bushings will just get replaced with something other than the rubber.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
I also have a fairly loud knocking noise (but not really any grinding noise that I can discern) that sounds & feels like it's coming from directly under the floorboard where the driver's pedals are.

After doing quite a bit of research here in FTE, it seems that the common causes for this are generally front sway bar related i.e.
- front sway bar U bracket bushings
- front sway bar top & bottom end link bushings
- ovaled-out/enlarged hole where the top of the front sway bar end links bolt to the frame.

So I would definitely check all of those.

I have a full front sway bar bushing kit for my X arriving today, so I hope to get mine taken car of before the weekend.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
I also have a fairly loud knocking noise (but not really any grinding noise that I can discern) that sounds & feels like it's coming from directly under the floorboard where the driver's pedals are.

After doing quite a bit of research here in FTE, it seems that the common causes for this are generally front sway bar related i.e.
- ovaled-out/enlarged hole where the top of the front sway bar end links bolt to the frame.

I have a full front sway bar bushing kit for my X arriving today, so I hope to get mine taken care of before the weekend.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
mrbingsx
New User
Originally Posted by xbox73

I have a full front sway bar bushing kit for my X arriving today, so I hope to get mine taken care of before the weekend.
I had done some research on the forum an picked out two different threads to add to the tech files about sway bar bushings.

One thread mentioned doing a test to see if the bushings are the problem. In this "test" it was suggested to remove the sway bar end links and wire tie the sway bar off.

I may sound technical but I have no idea what the end links are. Are they the "dog bone" referred to on this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html

I was going to do this test first to see if it is the bushings. Can anyone walk me through the test first before I destroy my front suspension? Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM
EXCURSION DAN
Freshman User
I would check the sway bar links, I replace mine twice using factory links and they go bad with in two years. this last time I got moog sway bar links with grease fittings and that was a year ago no more Knock on the floor boards and no problems with the moog links good luck

Dan

Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mrbingsx
I had done some research on the forum an picked out two different threads to add to the tech files about sway bar bushings.

One thread mentioned doing a test to see if the bushings are the problem. In this "test" it was suggested to remove the sway bar end links and wire tie the sway bar off.

I may sound technical but I have no idea what the end links are. Are they the "dog bone" referred to on this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html

I was going to do this test first to see if it is the bushings. Can anyone walk me through the test first before I destroy my front suspension? Thanks again everyone!
Yes, sway bar end links = dog bone i.e. this piece:

As a test, you could also instead of removing just the sway bar end links remove the entire sway bar. After all it's only another 4 bolts (2 on each U-bolt bracket). You'd have to be a little careful when driving due to extra sway in the front without the front sway bar attached, but that's the same case as if the end links aren't connected & the ends of the sway bar are just held up with a couple of wraps of baling wire.