Sponsored by: Moser

blinkers, dash lights tail ligts ect ect ect

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Second79F250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blinkers, dash lights tail ligts ect ect ect

OK SO I needed to replace my turn signal switch because I have to hold the lever down to keep it running for a left turn and the right works just fine but the lights seem to be dim. Every time I would turn headlights on the right blinker indicator would light up bright and flicker on ocations. So I get that I have some wiring issues. BUT last night I lost my right blinker all together. I replaced bulbs front and rear and got them back but not when the headlights are on. There were other changes as well. Now the front and back left blinkers are nice and bright like they should be (still have to hold lever down to actuate) and the right is very dim and even in the dash indicator but will not work with headlights on.
So to my question....... Can someone shed some light on my issues (truck only) and fill me in on how to change turn signal switch when I can find the right one?\

Thanks AGAIN for the help!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
NuMex75
Junior User
Sounds like you definitely need to replace the turn signal switch, I had some interesting lighting issues that were solved by doing so (although not in the headlights).

To replace the turn signal switch you first have to disconnect the bunch of wires leading from the steering column and remove the the pins from the plastic connector (dont cut them and reconnect them, this is only a disaster waiting to happen!) But make sure you make a diagram of where each wire goes in the connector. to remove the pins, pull out the red plastic piece on the end of the connector, that will then allow you to remove each pin separately.

You need to remove your steering wheel with a puller (dont yank on it, thats a good way to lose some teeth ) then just loosen the screws that hold the switch down and pull the wires all the way out through the steering column.

The new switch should have the pins already installed at the ends of the wires, so you have to just feed them down the steering column and reconnect them to the plastic connector.

My truck is a 75 and I know the 78/79 turn signal switches are a little different, but the principle should be the same.

You may need to replace the headlight switch as well. To do that you need to remove the headlight **** first, so reach up behind the dash and push the button on the top of the switch which allows you to slide the headlight **** out.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Second79F250
New User
Great. Thanks. Where is that best place together the turn signal switch?

Thanks

Originally Posted by NuMex75
Sounds like you definitely need to replace the turn signal switch, I had some interesting lighting issues that were solved by doing so (although not in the headlights).

To replace the turn signal switch you first have to disconnect the bunch of wires leading from the steering column and remove the the pins from the plastic connector (dont cut them and reconnect them, this is only a disaster waiting to happen!) But make sure you make a diagram of where each wire goes in the connector. to remove the pins, pull out the red plastic piece on the end of the connector, that will then allow you to remove each pin separately.

You need to remove your steering wheel with a puller (dont yank on it, thats a good way to lose some teeth ) then just loosen the screws that hold the switch down and pull the wires all the way out through the steering column.

The new switch should have the pins already installed at the ends of the wires, so you have to just feed them down the steering column and reconnect them to the plastic connector.

My truck is a 75 and I know the 78/79 turn signal switches are a little different, but the principle should be the same.

You may need to replace the headlight switch as well. To do that you need to remove the headlight **** first, so reach up behind the dash and push the button on the top of the switch which allows you to slide the headlight **** out.