1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Water coming from my muffler

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water coming from my muffler

I checked out https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-muffler.html this article. I'm not worried about the whole, didn't notice one. I am worried about the flow of liquid from my pipe. It's not only just flowing out my pipe. When I had her jacked up doing the front end. I would start her up, and then noticed a pretty steady drip. This seems to be more then what I am used to. Back into or driving up my second driveway, you can follow the drip like a jerry-curl to my truck. I have had the rear 02 sensors done baout 6 months ago. Every once and a while the engine light does come on and it stays " Bank 1 Lean". Then after driving for a little while and the light goes back off. How worried should I be?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 867 Likes on 719 Posts
Water in exhaust is normal, it's a byproduct of combustion.

If you drive only short distances or if you take note of the water while the exhaust stays too cool, you'll notice the normal water vapor in the exhaust condenses in the exhaust instead of being expelled as vapor.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by projectSHO89

If you drive only short distances or if you take note of the water while the exhaust stays too cool, you'll notice the normal water vapor in the exhaust condenses in the exhaust instead of being expelled as vapor.
Makes sense, I have been driving her a whole lot less then what I am used to. Now she may get started up and moved once a week or driving me a 1/2 a mile to my train and back. If I don't feel like the walk.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
alloro
Received 4,174 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
To carry this a bit further. Pre-catalytic converter days you did not see water from the exhaust. This is due to the chemical reaction inside the CCs creating the water vapor.

Here's a fairly straightforward description of what a CC does:

exhaust systems

The Catalytic Converter

When your engine burns fuel, it produces gases that are bad for the environment. These noxious gases are hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides. To prevent the engine from polluting the environment with these gases, we include a catalytic converter in our emission systems.

The catalytic converter is installed in the exhaust line, between the exhaust manifold and the muffler, and makes use of chemicals that act as a catalyst. A catalyst is a chemical that causes a reaction between other chemicals without being affected itself. In the case of the catalytic converter, the chemicals it contains cause a reaction in the pollutants in the exhaust. The pollutants are changed from harmful gases to harmless ones before they are let into the
environment through the tail pipe.

Basically, the harmful gases enter the catalytic converter, a kind of stainless steel container. The converter is lined with chemicals such as aluminum oxide, platinum and palladium. These chemicals cause the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons to change into water vapor and carbon dioxide. Some converters have a third lining of chemicals, platinum and rhodium, that reduce nitrogen oxides (three-way, dual bed converter).

The reason that leaded gas cannot be used in an engine with a catalytic converter is that the lead coats the chemicals in the converter. This makes them unable to do the job anymore, since the chemical lining can't come in contact with the pollutants. At first,this was a big disappointment, because lead acted as a lubricant and helped to reduce wear on some of the engine parts. Luckily for our engines and the environment (not to mention us), car manufacturers soon got around the problem by making tougher parts and coating them with special metal.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will also likely see white slime under your oil fill cap, also normal with short drives.