Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Senior User

PStruwing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question Flat Head ID Help

Hello all.

I am usually hiding in the E-series forums and have owned a few Y-blocks, Windsors and Mods.

Now I have an opportunity to pick up some flat heads from an estate sale and I have no idea what they are. Can you help from the pics?

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for your help in advance.

1956 Meteor Wagon the car I should not have sold. Built in Oakville Ontario Canada, EH!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior User

f5fordgirl is starting off with a positive reputation.
The first one is a 59-AB, second is an 8BA, its got head studs with nuts, if its got pet ***** behind the water pumps its a 48 model, first year in the trucks. Third looks to be a later ohv 4 cyl of some sort.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Senior User

f5fordgirl, you rock! Thanks.

I am assuming the first two are runners as they are on test stands, sorta.

If I can get them for a good price they will make for good project motors. Just need to find the projects now!

1956 Meteor Wagon the car I should not have sold. Built in Oakville Ontario Canada, EH!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
The first engine may not be a 59A (1946-1948) motor. In the picture I cannot see a 59 cast into the bell housing. The radiator it is attached to looks like a 1938-1939 pickup / truck radiator. The generator mount fan is definitely 1939 or older, but the transmission is 1940 or newer. For a definite identification on the first motor look here: http://www.goldengatev8.org/tips/Evo...heFlathead.pdf

Also, DO NOT put the earlier motor on a modern engine stand supported by the bell housing. The 8BA is fine, but I have seen several earlier motors with the bell housing broken off from using incorrect engine stands.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior User

Thanks for all your help but they all went for too much. The first motor went for $1000! And it would not run, so who know what is inside.

Too much for possible toys.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Just for curiosity sake, that engine in the bottom pic is for an IH Farmall tractor.......
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 AM
Post Fiend

Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just want to say th advice from 38 coupe is exellent, couldnt have said it better.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
New User

fordmaan is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you post pictures, I have a 53 with a flat head in it and would love to find out what model it is or year even. also it has been sitting outside for 10 years(i know) in the truck still but{i still know} what would you do first before starting it as it did run when i originally bought it
Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
1946, ab, f1, fan, flat, flathead, ford, head, identification, motor, put, v8