Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
New User
2007 Ford F-150

thousand_mile_stare is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 Escape catalytic converters

Just wanted to post a recent experience I had with the catalytic converter issues Escapes seem to be prone to.
A friend has a 2003 Escape 4x4 with the 3.0 V-6 and automatic transmission. It has 141,000 miles on it, she bought it with 40,000 miles on the vehicle.
Recently it developed driveability issues: No power with a whistling noise and top speed of 10 M.P.H. I researched on here and her symptoms matched threads that came up using the search function. I told her I was pretty sure the front cat was bad and had plugged the rear cat, causing the issue. She took it to a local repair shop and confirmed my diagnosis. Their estimate for repair was north of $1,500.00. My neighbor and I were sure we could repair it cheaper.
We towed it to my house and pulled the front and rear-most cats. As suspected they were both bad. The back cat on the engine looked pristine inside so we left it alone. We ordered all of our parts from rockauto. New front and rear-most cats, exhaust and intake gaskets, serpentine belt, and one O2 sensor that was damaged when the insides of the front cat let go.
Installation was straight forward with no major issues. We also changed the plugs with brand new ones she had purchased but never had installed. The vehicle now runs fantastic and she is extremely happy with it. Total cost: $600.00
Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Elder User
Garage is empty, add now

tcesni is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is a great price on the cats. I think I am facing a similar repair in the near future.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM
New User
2007 Ford F-150

The parts fit very well and there were no surprises. Only one thing is different: the exhaust is just *slightly* louder with a bit of a rumble. I have no idea how many miles she has on it now but it is still running like a champ.
Good luck if you have to R&R the cats.

Last edited by thousand_mile_stare; 05-08-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Rich5626 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are 2 Cat Converters on your Escape?

I can only find 1 on my 2002 V6 3.0 Escape & I'm beginning to think it might be my problem with a 149K miles.

Thanks!
Rich
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 PM
New User
2007 Ford F-150

There are 3 on the V-6 Escape. One on the front exhaust manifold, one on the rear manifold, and one after the Y pipe going to the tail pipe.
We replaced the front manifold and the rear most after the Y pipe.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:14 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks TMS! I found some references to them in my Chilton manual, not happy with this manual.

1 more question if I may, Did you have to remove the manifolds to R & R the cat. converters?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Postmaster
1985 Ford Ranger

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Rich, the catalytic converters are part of the exhaust manifold. I'm pretty sure that you have to remove them as an assembly. Go to one of the sponsors' web site, and look up a picture and you'll see what they look like in the wild... They are expensive parts to have fail, at ~$400 a pop if not more. The California ones are even scarcer than hens teeth as CARB has tightened the noose on aftermarket suppliers.
tom
Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 AM
New User
2007 Ford F-150

Tomw is exactly right. We got ours at rockauto for $326 for the manifold cats and $148 for the downstream one. Those are aftermarket prices. I shudder to think what Ford would charge for them.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:07 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks guys, I'll do some searching for pictures & get back on if I need to pick your brains more.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Buy 2003 Ford Escape Parts | FordParts.com
ford list it at $692.31 only shows one in the photo.Ford some timesis in line with other with price.I just replaced a tone ring Advanced Auto was $15.00 Ford was $6.70.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid

Tags
2003, catalytic, converter, converters, escape, escapehow, exhaust, ford, front, gasket, ho2w, manifold, plugged, recall, replace