Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Elder User

f100today is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Finally got my custom seat finished.... Here is what I did.

So I couldn't stand the seat in my truck and threw around some ideas. My first thought was that springs suck and modern cars do not have them. First I cut out all the springs from the frame. Then I fabbed up a sheet metal back and bottom. I bead rolled the metal to make it stiff. Next I got some two inch firm foam and cut it to the shape of the bottom. Then I sectioned the side bars to bring the back down and fwd so it would lean back a little more. The rest was up to the upholsterer. Basically the seat back has NO foam except for the 1/2 inch scrim which is just a thin foam that backs the fabric or leather. The seat base is just the two inch foam with the 1/2 scrim on top. Now the seat is nice and FIRM like a modern seat. I also gained a BUNCH of room in the cab. The seat bottom is not near as thick as the seat with foam and the back is about two inches thinner. It is like a whole new cab. My friend stitched the leather for me. He is kinda new to upholstery but after I saw what he did to his 62 Galaxie; I said here ya go. It is not perfect, but for what his limited experience is and the price I paid, I am very happy. Pics below.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Elder User

70-360fe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks really nice! He did a good job.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
That's pretty slick.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Postmaster

crazed87bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Really liking it not bad for him not much experience doing upholstery yet I'd let him do mine
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Elder User

f100today is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the compliments. The hard part about my seat was there was no pattern to go by like on a stock recover and I had him do the double stitch at the pleats. That is really something for someone with a double stitch machine. He did it with his single stitch and did a pretty good job. Not bad for his first custom job. He is an elementary school principle for his day job!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Senior User

jacks61ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think he found a new calling lol where can I send my seat lol
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Junior User

FILTHY is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thats real nice
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks