Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Ready to pull the plug on a auxiliary fuel tank. To get more mileage on big trips. Probably take out the tank for normal driving. Maybe

The regulations have me concerned.
Legal?
Fuel tank regulations
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...fuel-tank.html

I like this one, And the size of it.. Aluminum i believe. But no fittings at the bottom?
Delta Steel Transfer Tank, 37 gal. - 0185062 | Tractor Supply Company

Did some searches, But nothing real current..

Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan - Check out Northern tool & freight - They have them & they are certified aux. fuel tanks. The transfer tanks dont have the fitting in the bottom & are pretty much for farm/ implement use, as far as DOT is concerned, not that you couldnt weld a bung in the bottom but I dont know if it would pass an inspection. Every state is a little different from what I understand. I've been looking for one on CL for several months now. - Good luck with your hunt

Old 05-06-2012, 05:35 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Thanks Bill. They had more than i thought. I was just looking for a cheap one. Been looking for some time on craiglist and local ebay.

This one looks like i will need a fuel pump (which i have an extra one) To attach to the withdraw port on the top. Unless i can hook up at the drain port without getting into trouble. RDS Vertical Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank — 45 Gallon, Model# 71083 | Auxiliary, Transfer, + Skid Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment

This one i like better because it is flatter. Won't be seen unless your looking.
RDS Manufacturing Auxiliary Fuel Tank — 45-Gallon | Auxiliary-Transfer Tank + Toolbox Combos | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 05-06-2012, 05:42 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Thats the one I like too - Found one on cl locally & the guy wanted 125. bucks but by the time I called him it was gone. S & H on the new ones is a killer

Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
A friend of mine just put a 100 gallon tank in the bed of his truck. He said he was glad he got the one with baffles because he was behind his boss in an identical PSD with an identical tank minus the baffles, at a red light he said the truck rocks back and forth for about 10 seconds. Just sharing knowledge good luck

Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
I would like to add a aux tank too but I want to put it where the spare tire is. Does anyone know if someone makes a tank set up that goes there. I was really spoiled with my 89 F150 with dual tanks. I just hate to put something in the bed because then I can't get 4+8 sheets of whatever in it and I have a cap I use on the bed when I take trips with the family.

So if someone could point me in the right direction to setting up my F350 drw with dual tanks it would be appericated.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:11 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 411 Likes on 234 Posts
I run a 91 gal aux fuel cell with a Holley fuel pump. I have a line from the bottom drain to the fuel pump and then through the bed hole into the fill tube. I put the switch on the dash so when I need some fuel I flip the switch and let it run for 10-15 and it’s good to go. I purchased mine from Northern Tool and there are two issue that you should be aware of. First, the fuel gauge that comes with the tank is almost worthless. You need to write down how much fuel you have and how much you use in order to be accurate about what remains in the tank. I keep mine at around 50 gallons at all times but I only use mine for emergencies. About every three months I will cycle the aux fuel out and refill it. Second, the mounting tabs on the fuel cell are very short and not very heavy so you only have three mounting points for the tank and if the tab lines up over a ridge in the bed you have to pound it down to form to the bed or it won’t last due to the weight. When I installed mine I put a few pieces of 2x4 on the back wall of the bed and butted the tank up against that and screwed it down. That way I distribute the weight of the tank across the entire surface of the back wall while keeping the tank from possibly sliding forward when some a-hole cuts you off and you slam on the brakes with 50 gallons of diesel sitting right behind you. I can send pics if you would like to see what I am talking about.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 411 Likes on 234 Posts
BadDogKuzz

They do make tanks to fit there but they are rather small in comparison. A better option would be to purchase a 57 gal that replaces the factory fuel tank.

Ford pickup replacement tanks

Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Or you could get an excursion 44 gallon tank, its still small but you could ditch the spare and put it there. Its been done before and from what I understand isnt that hard either

Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
BadDogKuzz

They do make tanks to fit there but they are rather small in comparison. A better option would be to purchase a 57 gal that replaces the factory fuel tank.

Ford pickup replacement tanks
Thanks Dan I like the idea but as I looked at it. It hangs really low and I think adding more weight off the drivers side could be an issue. That is where I would like to keep the weight in the center of the truck if I can. Grant it ...it is a truck and not a race car. Somewhere down the road I would love to be able to make this one work fork for me Ford aft axle fuel tanks. But I'll need to look into it a little deeper. But another 47 gallons and the stock tank would be nice !! Actually as I look at some of the choices there are with Tranfer Flow there are many way to go. It seems like they have some nice stuff!!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Ed, try and find a excursion tank, the only thing you would have to add is a cross member to hold the front of the tank. I think slimfan has one in the excursion forum

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Dang, such tanks are expensive no matter which way i go.. I just want the extra fuel for a big trip or two a summer.. And the 25-28 gallons i have now kill me. Plus i don't like to run below a 1/4 tank while traveling for fear of reaching a fuel stop. So i piddle around with 15-20 gallons while traveling. At 10-12 mpg pulling the 5vr, That has me stopping freguently causeing 20 minute everytime to fill up and almost 2 hours of downtime on the trip just getting from buffalo to myrtle beach, lets say.

If i got a 40 gallon aux tank. That would take me all the way to my overnight stay when i stop anyways. with a total of 65 gallons onboard i wouldn't need to stop to fill up solely plus my stress level would be less. Total trip is around 850 miles so i need around 70-80 gallons. But i don't do the trip all in day.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Hey Ed, try and find a excursion tank, the only thing you would have to add is a cross member to hold the front of the tank. I think slimfan has one in the excursion forum
Great idea Rob !! I'll look into that. By the way how long you going to be S.A. ? Or are you on your way home.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I run a 60 gal transfer-flo, fits rite in. Dot approved. Comes with cert. sticker, No plumbing to do. You can also add an additional tank aft of the rear later for more range.
Or you can just add the one aft of the rear along with your stock tank. All depends how much range you want. I know I run out before my tank does, and I drive all night.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Great idea Rob !! I'll look into that. By the way how long you going to be S.A. ? Or are you on your way home.
suppose to leave tomorrow if these jets cooperate and not break again. Hoping to be home in SC on thursday, we'll see.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Fuel Tank