6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7l underpowered

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
v10superduty
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I read on here (or some forum) that the C & C and pickup are actually the same power but rated differently.

Like pickup is at flywheel and C & C is at rear wheels or something.

Can't see ford detuning the work trucks that usually have bigger fulltime loads?

One of you diesel xperts can verify this I bet...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Cab and chassis do have less horsepower, less torque and a slightly different turbo.
I'm unsure how that's accomplished but it's less.
Since they have a different turbo design, my educated guess is those models are detuned.
Ford commerical specs report 300 HP @ 2,800 RPM.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
They do detune chassis cabs. But they have a much lower rear gear. They get the job done fine. Most a just a hired driver who really don't care, it's not there truck. So they made it for all who just flat foot it everytime they drive it.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by v10superduty
I thought I read on here (or some forum) that the C & C and pickup are actually the same power but rated differently.

Can't see ford detuning the work trucks that usually have bigger fulltime loads?

I think you are confusing the <10,000 lb GVWR and >10,000 lb GVWR gas engines. In everything above 10,000lbs the gas engines have to be rated different which is why the lower power rating. It is the same engine that makes the same amount of power, so that is extremely misleading.

But the diesel engines are in fact making less power in the chassi/cab configurations. The turbo and tuning is different and I believe it makes less boost. 300/660 is the actual output, but this is still more than adequate for the max 33,000 lbs GVWR that the Super Duty is rated for.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Like Jim, I have a C&C F450 and had a 6.0L and this 6.7L pulls much better. As far as the OP in Yellowstone, IDK maybe he picked up a unit in SLC and it needs to be programmed for high altitude? or they took a pickup with a 3.31 rear and put a heavy utility body on it? IDK....

Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 PM
jim48
Elder User
I have a 4.10LS rearend in my truck. I pull the 5th wheel at between 55-60 mph, never faster. By the way I drive the same empty. I have enjoyed very good mileage with the truck, and that was a pleasant surprise with the rearend. Something sure sounds suspicious with the Yellowstone truck, but I guess anything is possible. We love the truck and I wouldn't change a thing about it. It may be detuned, but gosh it's all I need and then some......

Jim

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
v10superduty
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I think you are confusing the <10,000 lb GVWR and >10,000 lb GVWR gas engines. In everything above 10,000lbs the gas engines have to be rated different which is why the lower power rating. It is the same engine that makes the same amount of power, so that is extremely misleading.

But the diesel engines are in fact making less power in the chassi/cab configurations. The turbo and tuning is different and I believe it makes less boost. 300/660 is the actual output, but this is still more than adequate for the max 33,000 lbs GVWR that the Super Duty is rated for.
Thats probably it. My only excuse for memory lapse is I am so old my storage is full in the old brain so only get little bits of data to work with & have to decipher it..
Started workin at Ford dealership pumping gas back in 1967 so lotsa FORD facts have run through there over the years..

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
laclede
New User
Maybe one of the Ford techs could chime in here, but is it possible that the fleet manager has the trucks limited with the MyKey (or similar feature on fleet models). My 2012 KR has this feature and Ford touts it as being used for teen drivers, etc. where the key they use is read and preprogrammed features are enabled/disabled. For example, limited top speed, inability to disable traction/stability control, and other things. I could certainly see this as a cost savings possibility for use with fleet used vehicles to prevent life and property loss, excess fuel consumption, and any other high dollar risks. Just a thought, but I'm unsure as to what vehicles MyKey may even be available on.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
v10superduty
Freshman User
Originally Posted by laclede
Maybe one of the Ford techs could chime in here, but is it possible that the fleet manager has the trucks limited with the MyKey (or similar feature on fleet models). My 2012 KR has this feature and Ford touts it as being used for teen drivers, etc. where the key they use is read and preprogrammed features are enabled/disabled. For example, limited top speed, inability to disable traction/stability control, and other things. I could certainly see this as a cost savings possibility for use with fleet used vehicles to prevent life and property loss, excess fuel consumption, and any other high dollar risks. Just a thought, but I'm unsure as to what vehicles MyKey may even be available on.
Your probably on to something here...
we had exact scenario happen here with a young guy from drilling company working on local gold mine site.
was a "leased or rental" truck, F350 I think
...would not go fast enough to pass he complained
BUT biggest problem, the radio would not go "LOUD" enough.
He did not have master key available so what he had was what he got...

Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
dmags
Senior User
I was wondering If I had a 6.7 in a pickup and it did not have the 400hp flash what would it have been?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
It would still be fast. I really couldn't tell the difference.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
elknof1
New User
Originally Posted by kper05
Cab and chassis do have less horsepower, less torque and a slightly different turbo.
I'm unsure how that's accomplished but it's less.
Since they have a different turbo design, my educated guess is those models are detuned.
Ford commerical specs report 300 HP @ 2,800 RPM.
I live in mexico and here c&c and pu have the same engine, 300 hp 660... I just cant find anywhere those differences cause i own a f250 2011 xlt (only version sold this side of the river) and it feels kinda racist not to be able to have that full powered 6.7 haha eventhoug i love my truck wich i bought to tow my 25 rv and my 21 ski towboat in tandem XD, my old 2009 f150 5.4 did the job but this one is breath taking, cant imagine a full powered 6.7 ... Greetings!!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 AM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by v10superduty

No. You read the discussion with the super duty chief engineer where he explained that the different ratings for the 6.2 gas are achieved at different rpm and that the engines actually produce the same power

Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
for me underpowered is a stretch, but I will say this and what you guys are failing to see. This might be what the guy is talking about. I don't care what anyone says at 70mph my truck IS NOT putting out 400/800!!!! I proved this in the ecoboost trailer test up parley's canyon. for a short time the ecoboost actually out pulled the superduty. actually stop and listen to what I am saying and don't say I am stupid or something because you spent 60 grand on the top of the line truck. I spent alot of money on my truck too but I don't automatically say its better than anyone else's and it out performs everything.

at freeway speeds my truck is pretty comparable to my '06 dodge which was rated 325hp and 600 torque STOCK. maybe the superduty is slightly more powerful than that but not much. below 40mph the super duty is putting out 400/800!! but ford detunes these engines at freeway speeds. with my '06 dodge and smarty tune which was probably 390ish and 750 torque at the flywheel that would blow the doors off my ford at least for a short time until the EGT's got out of hand. I pull mountains where I live if you live on fairly flat ground you will not see what I am saying. to me the superduty isn't a pulling workhorse at freeway speeds it just isn't. does it have plenty of power yeah but its not going to win any races. this is also confirmed at the rumble in the rockies when they tested it against the duramax.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
elknof1
New User
Actually i agree. My 14' dodge gas laramie longhorn 8 shifts actually outperforms my superduty, everywhere, theres a lot of climbing near san miguel de allende and theres where i can note differences while towing the boat which is two tons and something.

Quick Reply: 6.7l underpowered