Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Elder User

FordGuy85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linne View Post
Thats interesting I had no problem to with moving everything by hand.

Yeah it does look much better my truck also looks about 200% better
Thanks for posting this thread
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
Quote:
I finaly had the time to make the shackles.
Now my truck looks level to me!

Click the image to open in full size.

The extra holes are for stock height, It's only temporary that the holes are empty, I will put an iron pipe there with a bolt going through it that way it's easy to change it to stock when next years inspection comes.

The reason the other shackles had a square block welded in the middle is for stability. Longer shackles will let the front end sway a little. The welded block will help keep both pieces as one . it's like taking two pieces of metal and putting a bolt through both ends with the pieces 4 inchs apart .. the longer they are the more they will sway.. the block will not let then move independently and stops the sway on EACH shackle..
Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_fiend View Post
The reason the other shackles had a square block welded in the middle is for stability. Longer shackles will let the front end sway a little. The welded block will help keep both pieces as one . it's like taking two pieces of metal and putting a bolt through both ends with the pieces 4 inchs apart .. the longer they are the more they will sway.. the block will not let then move independently and stops the sway on EACH shackle..
I agree. At the very least, I would have maybe put a solid block in there with 5/8 taped holes in both ends. Would stiffen it up a bit and act like a middle support weldment.

Also on the other hand, if he is off road a lot of the time, he may want that extra flex.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior User

Linne has a good reputation on FTE.Linne has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_fiend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy85 View Post
I agree. At the very least, I would have maybe put a solid block in there with 5/8 taped holes in both ends. Would stiffen it up a bit and act like a middle support weldment.

Also on the other hand, if he is off road a lot of the time, he may want that extra flex.

I know I have now put a bolt through there and a round pipe in the middle, I was planning on tapping the ends of the round pipe and then drill a hole for the bolt that way I get the bolt in center of pipe as you can see in picture the pipe is a litle bit higher than the bolt.

I would also recommend to weld the square tube instead, I have no doubt about that beeing the strongest version.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Elder User

Quote:
I know I have now put a bolt through there and a round pipe in the middle, I was planning on tapping the ends of the round pipe and then drill a hole for the bolt that way I get the bolt in center of pipe as you can see in picture the pipe is a litle bit higher than the bolt.

I would also recommend to weld the square tube instead, I have no doubt about that beeing the strongest version.
Should be ok with grade 8 or better hardware.

Also one more thing I discovered after doing this mod. Before when i would turn I had some rubbing issues with the 35inch tall tires. They used to rub on the the inside fender well on the drivers side. Then on the passenger side, had some rubbing on the leaf spring. I can't figure out why but there is no more rubbing there.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Should be ok with grade 8 or better hardware.

Also one more thing I discovered after doing this mod. Before when i would turn I had some rubbing issues with the 35inch tall tires. They used to rub on the the inside fender well on the drivers side. Then on the passenger side, had some rubbing on the leaf spring. I can't figure out why but there is no more rubbing there.

About the rubbing I noticed the same thing
Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Elder User

Quote:
About the rubbing I noticed the same thing
I thought it was weird how the tire would rub passenger side leaf spring and not the other. I'm extremely happy with this mod so far. Before I found the thread, I was planning on getting the Rough Country shackle lift. ($330) I thought I needed the extended front (fixed) shackle that came with the lift. To be honest, I'm glad I don't have a extended front shackle. I might have been able to see it sticking down from the front of the truck.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior User

Quote:
I thought it was weird how the tire would rub passenger side leaf spring and not the other. I'm extremely happy with this mod so far. Before I found the thread, I was planning on getting the Rough Country shackle lift. ($330) I thought I needed the extended front (fixed) shackle that came with the lift. To be honest, I'm glad I don't have a extended front shackle. I might have been able to see it sticking down from the front of the truck.

I'm glad that this thread was useful!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

RUNVS has a good reputation on FTE.RUNVS has a good reputation on FTE.
I have been thinking of adding the 4" block to the rear of my f250 (so it's same as F350) and then a shackle kit up front. Some say don't extend the shackles unless you extend the hangers as well.

I have the plow package so my front end sits almost level. that means a 2" rise in back should be 2-2.5" in front so the truck remains level.

Some of you guys definitely didn't add the hangers. That will definitely change your pinion angle. When you drop the back of the springs, you rotate the axle backward. This will affect the pinion angle and your caster angle as well.

Did anyone notice any negative affects? Anyone have any vibration or is anyone eating up U-joints?

Now, does anyone know if the brackets on a kit like the Rough Country kit have a different drop length on the hangers than the shackles in order to maintain the pinion angle?

Maybe 2-2.5" isn't enough to worry about these things??? You guys that have been running a shackle-only lift, what are your long-term findings? Anyone running a shackle & hanger lift?
'02 F-250 Super Duty 5.4L XLT 4x4 SCLB, '09 bed/gate/step/cam, '07 front conversion, SPD Y-pipe, SS dual 2.5 w/MBRP tips, Gibson shortys, PowerSlot Cryos, Hawk pads, A-pillar triple pod, optima bluetop, dual-core radiator, Bilsteins, 295/70R17 Nittos on Raceline Predators, K&N, Back Rack, SCT w/5star tunes, Warn lockouts, several anti-theft devices
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j-TflIBAG5c/TtG6TkJ9PjI/AAAAAAAAKsQ/svk9X8Ki2No/s144/truck%2520hauling.jpg Click --->HERE<-- to join the OHIO Chapter!!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Senior User

I think 2-2,5" lift is so small change that I would not worry about it, but yes all these angles will change a little
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Senior User

Grizzly4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Here's a couple pics of the truck after I got the new shackles on.

Snapbucket :: Shackle picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Here is how the truck looks now. %100 better.

Snapbucket :: After shackle lift was installed. picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket
What size lift/tires is that? I seem to have about the same truck minus that and that's what I'm looking for.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Senior User

knightrider955 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNVS View Post
I have been thinking of adding the 4" block to the rear of my f250 (so it's same as F350) and then a shackle kit up front. Some say don't extend the shackles unless you extend the hangers as well.

I have the plow package so my front end sits almost level. that means a 2" rise in back should be 2-2.5" in front so the truck remains level.

Some of you guys definitely didn't add the hangers. That will definitely change your pinion angle. When you drop the back of the springs, you rotate the axle backward. This will affect the pinion angle and your caster angle as well.

Did anyone notice any negative affects? Anyone have any vibration or is anyone eating up U-joints?

Now, does anyone know if the brackets on a kit like the Rough Country kit have a different drop length on the hangers than the shackles in order to maintain the pinion angle?

Maybe 2-2.5" isn't enough to worry about these things??? You guys that have been running a shackle-only lift, what are your long-term findings? Anyone running a shackle & hanger lift?

I added the 2.5 inch shackles off of ebay and put them on over a year ago. I also plow and drive my truck 90 miles per day for work. No issues what so ever. No funny noises or broken U Joints. I didn't even change out my stock shocks. Only thing I noticed after the install is that my steering wheel is a little turned to the left when driving straight. I think its because my track bar is pulling my front end to the left side a little. I need to get an adjustable one and re center my axle. But it still drives fine and doesn't pull or anything.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Senior User

Grizzly4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider955 View Post
I added the 2.5 inch shackles off of ebay and put them on over a year ago. I also plow and drive my truck 90 miles per day for work. No issues what so ever. No funny noises or broken U Joints. I didn't even change out my stock shocks. Only thing I noticed after the install is that my steering wheel is a little turned to the left when driving straight. I think its because my track bar is pulling my front end to the left side a little. I need to get an adjustable one and re center my axle. But it still drives fine and doesn't pull or anything.
Was your's a 4x4? Any vibrations in 4wd?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Senior User

knightrider955 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Was your's a 4x4? Any vibrations in 4wd?
Mine is a 4x4. I plow with it. I drive 65 in 4x4 with NO issues
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Junior User

subysouth is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
What size lift/tires is that? I seem to have about the same truck minus that and that's what I'm looking for.
I'd like to know this as well please FordGuy85.

ss
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM