1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used 2" lift shackles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Linne
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
Does this effect on road use? Towing? Hauling payload?
I am 100% sure that when towing big loads then it would have a big difference, but I never tow anything more than a passanger car on a trailer max...
Normal on road use I must say I have not noticed any difference.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by Linne
I am 100% sure that when towing big loads then it would have a big difference, but I never tow anything more than a passanger car on a trailer max...
Normal on road use I must say I have not noticed any difference.
Ok! Thanks for your help.

Edit: Oh one more thing. Does the extra length shackle look any kind of goofy form the side of the truck? I was trying to imagine it being longer but its hard to tell what it will look like when its finished.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i had my front sway bar removed for almost a year and it handled the same before and after it was on or removed. I took mine off because i had to add poly bushings and just never added it back right away, it did help out while off road, i never knew my truck could flex that good before!
And drop shackles look weird from the side of the truck, you see the springs hanging down and that stupid spacer hanging. I have a picture of my 1" drop shackle ill post so you can see

Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
i had my front sway bar removed for almost a year and it handled the same before and after it was on or removed. I took mine off because i had to add poly bushings and just never added it back right away, it did help out while off road, i never knew my truck could flex that good before!
And drop shackles look weird from the side of the truck, you see the springs hanging down and that stupid spacer hanging. I have a picture of my 1" drop shackle ill post so you can see
Ok that would be great. Never knew you could take that off.
Also I just hought of another question to whoever made these shackles. Did u use regular cold rolled steel. Does the steel have to have any hardness to it? Was thinking the bolts might woller the holes out after a while.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
my shackles are 1/4" thick flat stock with a 1/4" thick square tube welded in the middle, the bolt holes were just barley big enough for the factory bolts to fit through. Then when torqued to factory 180ftlbs they should never move or wollow out

Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
my shackles are 1/4" thick flat stock with a 1/4" thick square tube welded in the middle, the bolt holes were just barley big enough for the factory bolts to fit through. Then when torqued to factory 180ftlbs they should never move or wollow out
Sounds good. I am going to use 3/8 thick flat stock because right now theres a 1/2 inch ectra bolt hanging out extra past the nuts. And 1/4 inch wall box tubing just like you described.
Should work well. 8 inch between bolt centers. 5/8 drilled holes.the part will be 10 inches long overall by 2 1/2 width.
Just wanted to post what I'm doing for all to see.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
i cant find the pic on my laptop, ill post it tomorrow when i go to work and get it off my computer in the shop

Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 PM
bigbadgixxer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i too have the same shackles in front that provide lift. my issue is with my donahue lift and the shackle lift my front driveshaft doesnt fit and my pinion angle is A** as it comes out straight now no angle up at all? called the driveshaft shop they can lengthen shaft for $200.00 but is that angle gonna eat u-joints? also if it everyone thinks its gonna eat ujoints im gonna take them out and drop rear 2.5" with different blocks so it sits level?thanks

Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
That's cool man. No Hurry. I'm making these right now. Ill probably be putting them on the truck regardless.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Linne
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigbadgixxer
i too have the same shackles in front that provide lift. my issue is with my donahue lift and the shackle lift my front driveshaft doesnt fit and my pinion angle is A** as it comes out straight now no angle up at all? called the driveshaft shop they can lengthen shaft for $200.00 but is that angle gonna eat u-joints? also if it everyone thinks its gonna eat ujoints im gonna take them out and drop rear 2.5" with different blocks so it sits level?thanks
I would try to chancge that angle with a triangle formed but as small as possible under the front leafs.

Sounds good. I am going to use 3/8 thick flat stock because right now theres a 1/2 inch ectra bolt hanging out extra past the nuts. And 1/4 inch wall box tubing just like you described.
Should work well. 8 inch between bolt centers. 5/8 drilled holes.the part will be 10 inches long overall by 2 1/2 width.
Just wanted to post what I'm doing for all to see.
As weak as the original schakles seems to be I don't think there is any risk to make weaker ones as long as they are thicker you are good.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
1" lift shackle

Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
1" lift shackle

Oh Yeah. I remember these pics now. Is don't see anything too bad here.
Actually that looks pretty good to me. Thanks for posting.

Here is a pic of one of the shackles I made yesterday.

Snapbucket :: Spring shackle. picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Ok I got the new shackles on the truck and everything looks really good. Had a little trouble getting the springs re centered to the shackles but I made a tool to push the springs back to center and it worked great.

Here is the tool.
Snapbucket :: Spring pushing press. picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Before I made that tool, I couldn't get the springs to center back up. There was no way they were moving. I had a come a long, rachet straps, pry bars and everything else. Couldn't budge them.
The tool saved the day.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Here's a couple pics of the truck after I got the new shackles on.

Snapbucket :: Shackle picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Here is how the truck looks now. %100 better.

Snapbucket :: After shackle lift was installed. picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Linne
Senior User
Ok I got the new shackles on the truck and everything looks really good. Had a little trouble getting the springs re centered to the shackles but I made a tool to push the springs back to center and it worked great.

Here is the tool.
Snapbucket :: Spring pushing press. picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Before I made that tool, I couldn't get the springs to center back up. There was no way they were moving. I had a come a long, rachet straps, pry bars and everything else. Couldn't budge them.
The tool saved the day.
Thats interesting I had no problem to with moving everything by hand.

Here's a couple pics of the truck after I got the new shackles on.

Snapbucket :: Shackle picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket

Here is how the truck looks now. %100 better.

Snapbucket :: After shackle lift was installed. picture by Fordguy85 - Photobucket
Yeah it does look much better my truck also looks about 200% better

Quick Reply: Has anyone used 2" lift shackles?