1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Define darkside

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darksider ??

I personally like the Ford powered Ford trucks. The Idea that one engine is better than some other engine is pure crap. You stuff air in add fuel and burn the mixture - out comes some mechanical force to move your fat a** down the road. The idea that a darksider is bad or good is strange to me we all like to build our trucks to suit ourselves. If I ever get the time I will work on my old truck some more and one day even finish it. I don't care if I ever finish - - - - I just want something interesting to do that keeps me sane.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe we're all just a little bit Gray???????? Who care's just enjoy the Hobby.Keep it safe, keep it fun

Name:  56 ford photo.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  76.7 KB

Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vern, Moe - If the Hoods and Doors were closed I might sneak up for a peek at your Trucks - They do look tame from the outside

Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 AM
55F250
Tuned
Darksider: one who has to subscribe to more then one site to get information about his truck.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts: one site

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TxF100
Where does restomod fit in all this?
This is a term coined by the Auction industry. In Colorado the State DMV calls them Street Rods and is defined in the Regs.

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
nlareau
Senior User
Putting a Chevy motor in a Ford truck should be a crime. I'm negotiatable on most other issues.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nlareau
Putting a Chevy motor in a Ford truck should be a crime. I'm negotiatable on most other issues.
I hate to disagree .... But I do!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM
wallster
Elder User
Darkside? ... I believe my 1951 F1 with her 1973 Chevrolet camaro 307 engine (with a turbo 350 transmission), Nova 3:73 rear end, 1982 Chevy Citation cooling fan, 1950-something Chrysler radiator, GM wheels, power windows, in-dash CD-MP3 stereo (with remote), and a Mustang II front suspension kit COULD be considered a darksider. BUT... I kept the original ashtray!

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I have to wonder if this is even debatable? Is there anyone building stock on here anymore? Just sayin'

Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
I have to wonder if this is even debatable? Is there anyone building stock on here anymore? Just sayin'
Well, I am going back as stock as possible but no way will it be stock original. IMO, most of these trucks probably started going slightly dark during the first tune up. My old F-350 has had many mods during its life but my intent is to keep it looking as original as possible. I am sure not going to remove the aftermarket hydraulic bed lift. The old girl and I are going to do some meaningful play, er, work.
Been there, done all that with restorations. I just can not justify the additional costs and efforts to restore. Probably don't have enough time left to do a ground up restoration.
BTW, my definition of DARK is when it is slammed or has had the top chopped so the inherent good lines are gone forever. Wild a$$ paint schemes do nothing for them either. Again, JMHO.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think they have cookies on the dark side!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think this is kinda like practicing law; there's always some level where it's open to each one's interpretation.

If you want to be strict about it, I would say either you are or you're not stock. Personally, I don't care, as long as it moves on its own and looks are not affected (too badly). Accesories are OK though.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Where is that picture of that truck that had the mid '80's Chubby grill grafted into it?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Gee, some of you guys are rough on those of us that have chosen to go to the darkside. Consider the alternative, you could have been buying my truck back in the form of a floor jack from Harbor Freight. I really considered scrapping it and moving on with some of my other projects. I chose to try some of the custom touches that I had always wanted to do, but would have never done on a really good truck.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Herbiehusker
Senior User
I always cringe when I see this as a topic. We are all grown adults and are capable of thinking and making our OWN choices as to what we do with our trucks. What looks good to some.....may look terrible to others. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We can all voice our opinions, and yes, some are much louder and more forceful than others.....but don't take them to heart, it's still your vehicle and what you do with it is up to you. Yes, I'm a darksider.....pretty dark at that, but when people who know old vehicles see my truck, they know EXACTLY what make, model, and year it is, whether I'm traveling 65 miles per hour down the highway or parked at the local gas station. And what's really enjoyable....none of them can tell what motor I'm running in it (just like a majority of you wouldn't know unless the hood was up ). To me personally, I like things that are custom, but can appreciate pure, just rolled off the dealer showroom floor, stock. For me, I like custom because it shows the personality and/or craftmanship of the owner. If everyone has a bone stock pickup at the local car show.....why go? The only thing that is going to be different from the last 48 F-1 to the next would be the color or the option package. When you see two or three custom or darksided pickups of the same year at the local show, it's enjoyable to see the slight custom differences....or major (radical) differences that one owner did compared to the next. Bottom line.....as I prepare to climb off my soapbox.....it doesn't really matter to me if you have a perfect, bone stock truck or a completely modified dark, dark, darksider truck, they all are incredible pieces of historic machinery that are still on the road and not in the scrap pile. And Drew, keep doing what you're doing....you have some great skills....mad skills. I am truly jealous.

Quick Reply: Define darkside