Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

GruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant future
pages/Bronco-Nation/333812929968547 GruesomeJeans
Better performance all around?

Hello i have a 351M for my 78 bronco and right now i have this
Click the image to open in full size.
I was wondering if any better performance or anything would come out of putting this on there instead:
Click the image to open in full size.
Also to add to that, would it hurt anything at all? It seems like it would suck in more air from being opened up but it is also sucking in a lot of hot air... I don't really know much about it so please, give me some air flow education
Visit Washington Chapter HERE!

Washington Member Map
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Its a good flowing filter. To verify it is of adequate size, here's a formula:

Minimum Air Filter

A= Filtering Area D= Estimated Height H= Height
For Off Road Use Multiply Height 1.5 to 2

A= (CID) (RPM) dividied by 25,500

H= A + .75 divided by (D) (3.14)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

GruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Its a good flowing filter. To verify it is of adequate size, here's a formula:

Minimum Air Filter

A= Filtering Area D= Estimated Height H= Height
For Off Road Use Multiply Height 1.5 to 2

A= (CID) (RPM) dividied by 25,500

H= A + .75 divided by (D) (3.14)
So first let me tell you, I suck at math...
I think i did something wrong cause i got 109. I don't really know what that means. so i did it like:
(CID)= 351 (RPM)= I assumed you ment around the max RPMs which i think is around 5k so i went
351*5000/25,500 = 68.82 Then i went 68.82+.75/D being 2*3.14 = 109.22.

I don't know what that is supposed to mean and i am pretty darn sure i did that wrong.

Washington Member Map
Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans View Post
So first let me tell you, I suck at math...
I think i did something wrong cause i got 109. I don't really know what that means. so i did it like:
(CID)= 351 (RPM)= I assumed you ment around the max RPMs which i think is around 5k so i went
351*5000/25,500 = 68.82 Then i went 68.82+.75/D being 2*3.14 = 109.22.

I don't know what that is supposed to mean and i am pretty darn sure i did that wrong.
No sweat...you were very close...

A= 68.82

Basically the air filter must be no less than 1.85" in height.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

Quote:
No sweat...you were very close...

A= 68.82

Basically the air filter must be no less than 1.85" in height.
Ohh ok i see. The reason i asked is cause a fellow FTEer has one of the aforementioned air cleaners and i might buy it from him if it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. So the height is that for clearance or the amount of air being taken in?

Washington Member Map
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Ohh ok i see. The reason i asked is cause a fellow FTEer has one of the aforementioned air cleaners and i might buy it from him if it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. So the height is that for clearance or the amount of air being taken in?
Thats for the minimum amount of air to go in for that size of engine and rpm. This formula is for round air cleaners/filters only.....there are different formulas for different shapes. Also, if you are actually going off roading with your truck, the other half of the formula is to multiply the minimum height by 2.....because of the extra airborne dirt you can expect a 50% reduction of flow through the filter as a result of the buildup, so by doubling, you have addressed that as well. In some cases, especially with trucks, in many HP applications & off-road too, we use to double stack the filters on top of each other to meet flow needs without having to replace the filter housing- just change the center stem!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

Wow, that is a pretty sophisticated equation to get maximum air flow. Whats your opinion on the washable filters? I figured that would be the better/cheaper way to go so i can wash it out instead of replacing it. I don't do a ton of 4 wheeling around here but i plan to look around for some places when some issues are addressed.

Washington Member Map
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Wow, that is a pretty sophisticated equation to get maximum air flow. Whats your opinion on the washable filters? I figured that would be the better/cheaper way to go so i can wash it out instead of replacing it. I don't do a ton of 4 wheeling around here but i plan to look around for some places when some issues are addressed.
IMHO I would look at a pre-filter...a piece of foam that goes aroround the outside of the filter- which can be easily installed befor going off road.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

Oh i think i see what you mean, kind of an overlay filter.

Washington Member Map
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Oh i think i see what you mean, kind of an overlay filter.
you got it!!! any off road shop should have and they are very inexpensive!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

Quote:
you got it!!! any off road shop should have and they are very inexpensive!
Would it be easier/cheaper to make one? I don't know what their made of but i'm sure we got something in out house.

Washington Member Map
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Would it be easier/cheaper to make one? I don't know what their made of but i'm sure we got something in out house.
check out this link...........

Air & Fuel Delivery - SummitRacing.com
Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

Thats pretty cool looking but dang $21 for a sleeve over the filter... Kinda pricey..

Washington Member Map
Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thats pretty cool looking but dang $21 for a sleeve over the filter... Kinda pricey..
Yeah....but you can see how to make one......heck, you could even use a 4" wide cotton gause bandage and make one!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 PM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

Quote:
Yeah....but you can see how to make one......heck, you could even use a 4" wide cotton gause bandage and make one!
That would be weird to be prepping to go wheeling with a group and they see you wrapping your air cleaner with an ACE bandage haha.

Washington Member Map
Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 PM