1993 460 vacuum diagram

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
1993 460 vacuum diagram

Can some one help me with a vacuum diagram that has a 1993 F-series truck with the calibration number of "3-98A-R00".
This would be a truck with a 460 engine and a E4OD transmission.
It would also be a F250 or F350 truck.
The Computer in it is a F3TF-12A650-KA with catch code of ELF.
Just take a photo of the diagram under your hood and email it at the email address below in this post.
Or post it here.
Thank you very much in advance.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM
mjp_t98
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by subford
Can some one help me with a vacuum diagram that has a 1993 F-series truck with the calibration number of "3-98A-R00".
Just take a photo of the diagram under your hood and email it at the email address below in this post.
Or post it here.
Thank you very much in advance.
Shouldn't you get a prize from Ford for finding one that's not on Motorcraft.com?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subford, I assume you got the calibration number off the engine. I looked at all my information and can't find it either. There is a 2-98A-R00 but the ECM number for that is F2TF-12A650-JB. The vacuum diagrams for most of the EFI engines are pretty simple since there are only a few items. You probably only have EGR and one Thermactor valve operated by engine vacuum. The other items are the PCV and EVAP systems. I assume you are looking for the RV system.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Yes what I wanted to know was if the computer had one or two Thermactor valves operated by engine vacuum.

The on the Ford site for 1993 only show one and the one and my RV has two.
The Ford site did not list one for the numbers I listed.
I got the Calibration number off the door post of a 1993 F350 that I took the PCM computer from.
I was trying to come up with an emergency PCM to take with me if mine went out in Timbuctu. I think this one will work but was just wondering about the Thermactor valve solenoids. I know the 1993 is a push-start computer system and the 1994 is a CCD Ignition System. But I think it will still run good enough to get me back home.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Actually, what I found is the push start was used through 1994 and the CCD started in 1995. The ECM will not have the circuits for the dual air valves. I was trying to find something close but the F53 is a hard one to get any information on. Good luck on your trip.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
All the Ford diagrams I have seen have the CCD in 1994 including mine (no start wire).

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
mjp_t98
Senior User
Originally Posted by subford
Based on nothing more reliable than the catch codes I've seen, I would expect a close match to your TOE0 to be 3 letters followed by a number.

I suspect ELF will be an older one, a little less sophisticated, although probably workable. I would expect it to have 2 digit error codes, like the SOJ I picked up purportedly from a 1991 460/E4OD.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

mjp, the SOJ is for a 1990 7.5L w/E4OD, I have that setup in my 1986 I converted. The entire system was removed from a 1990 F250 donor vehicle.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM
mjp_t98
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
mjp, the SOJ is for a 1990 7.5L w/E4OD, I have that setup in my 1986 I converted. The entire system was removed from a 1990 F250 donor vehicle.
Thanks for the information Bill. I bought my SOJ on Ebay, so I wasn't that sure about its history. But it is a little more primitive than the TOE0 that Bill and I have in our 1994 F53s.How's your own conversion project doing?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

mjp, pretty good, you can go here to read about it and see pictures: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-86-f350.html

Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
mjp_t98
Senior User
mjp, pretty good, you can go here to read about it and see pictures: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-86-f350.html
That's quite a few pages, and a huge amount of work. I wasn't quite sure why you were so keen to do a MAF conversion though. The later 94 through 97 SD ECU should be quite tunable, probably more so than your SOJ. Don't forget your torque table for the line pressure in that WAY1..

Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

A number of the BF 460s I have come across seem to have problems with #5 cyl. I also can't use a control system newer than 95 since Ford changed the EGR system in 96. So far my biggest issue has been finding the torque tables on the S0J and J2C ECMs I have. I am also looking at running a little more compression and cam in the engine for better fuel economy and power. The SEFI will help with that.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 PM
mjp_t98
Senior User
A number of the BF 460s I have come across seem to have problems with #5 cyl. I also can't use a control system newer than 95 since Ford changed the EGR system in 96. So far my biggest issue has been finding the torque tables on the S0J and J2C ECMs I have. I am also looking at running a little more compression and cam in the engine for better fuel economy and power. The SEFI will help with that.
Are you saying that #5 cylinder is somehow at rusk due to the SD EFI? What do ytou think that mechanism is?
I believe you may be able to use a 96 or possibly a 97 SD ECU from a high GVWR SD 460. I believe it was only the CA Emissions 460s that went to the DPFE EGR.

The trouble with 96 and later is the E4OD diode, but you may be able to get around that. The 1994 - 96 SD ECUs with the Data Control Link and 3 digit error codes have later control enhancements, including a separate Torque table for transmission line pressure. Your SOJ just shares the VE table from the engine control code.

I've modified my RV engine with 9:1 CR, a special grind cam, headers and a gasket matched intake, and it runs fine on 87 octane gas. I had thought of a MAF conversion, but wanted to see what I could do with the later SD, and at this point, I don't see the need for the MAF system. You might get a little better economy with SEFI, but I wouldn't expect that much.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

My parts truck engine had bad rings in #5, a friend of my son's 89 F350 had low compression and blow-by on #5 and there was a fellow on an automotive technician's group i am on had a Jasper rebuild (.060 over which could have been part of the problem) that destroyed 4 pistons on #5. All of these were the early engines with the E7TE heads. Your engine and my project engine have the F3TE heads and the newer (F2TE or F3TE) intake manifold.

I am aware of the E4OD solenoid change, even using the WAY1 ECU I will need to change my solenoid pack and my TFI module. If I could find a 94-96/97 460/E4OD ECU I would try it, but I am not sure it would like the cam I want to use, it is an Edelbrock Performer Plus #2167 I picked up for $50 from someone who had sold the vehicle he was planning on using it in. What cam are you running, a custom grind or an off the shelf RV grind?

One of the other reason for using the WAY1, even though it requires either a TwEECer or similar is it has a knock sensor circuitry so I can run a little more aggressive spark advance if I want to. I am glad you are running 9.1cr with no problems, that's the range I want to be in.

I ruled out headers for a couple of reasons, cost and previous experience with them on street cars. I have the bulk of the stock exhaust still on my truck since it is an over 8500 GVWR vehicle it is non-catalyst legally. mid-95 through 87 460s used a dual 2 1/2" to the muffler and 3" tailpipe.

If I could find a good 94-96/97 460/E4OD ECU I would try it and see how it works, I do have both a Snap-On Solus and of course my STKR CalCon for displaying real time data. The problem so far has been finding what definition or strategy is used on the SD 460s.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM
mjp_t98
Senior User
If I could find a 94-96/97 460/E4OD ECU I would try it,
The prices have been going up quite a bit in recent years, but I see 2 DOE0 ECUs on eBay at the moment for $150 and $250. For that you could probably get a reman calibrated to whatever Ford spec you wanted, I suppose.
but I am not sure it would like the cam I want to use, it is an Edelbrock Performer Plus #2167 I picked up for $50 from someone who had sold the vehicle he was planning on using it in. What cam are you running, a custom grind or an off the shelf RV grind?
I am no interpreter of cam specs, but the Edelbrock site claims an rpm range of Idle to 5500rpm. I guess I don't know what they mean by idle, but I'd like to believe that it means it can idle smoothly.

As I'm sure you've looked into already, there are 2 things to know about speed density tuning. The first is that almost any significant tuner change is going to change the amount of air entering the engine at any given manifold pressure. That means you'd need to change the calibration table in the ECU.

The second thing is that SD tuning doesn't work well if an increase in Manifold Absolute Pressure DOES'NT mean an increase in airflow. It doesn't need to be linear (and it won't be) but when MAP goes up, it needs to mean airflow goes up. If it doesn't then the SD algorithm will needs lots of corrections. I understand that it's usually "lumpy idle" cams that provide this difficulty.

If your cam doesn't do this, and as you have a Tweecer or QH already, you'll be able to do the required retune for your engine mods.Even if you had a MAF system, it might have trouble with flow reversion through the MAF.

So even though many Ford tuners will tell you to get a MAF system, I suspect you could do just fine with tuning your SD system, given all the other work you've done yourself. You'll probably end up doing less work than using your WAY1 system.

Mine is a custom grind from Cam Research. I just answered all their questions, and out popped a cam. Mostly I used them because I got scared with all the horror stories about cam breakin, and they have a cam breakin service. But I'm happy with the cam.

One of the other reason for using the WAY1, even though it requires either a TwEECer or similar is it has a knock sensor circuitry so I can run a little more aggressive spark advance if I want to. I am glad you are running 9.1cr with no problems, that's the range I want to be in.
You may need good luck with that. I used to think that way, but eventually realized that I'd be doing a LOT of research to get it working in a useful, protective way. The problem is that all the Ford knock sensors have a resonant frequency matched to the engine. As far as I know they never had a knock sensor on a 460/429, so you'd have to find one, and a place to mount it and engineer out all the false positives. So instead I had the block decked to improve the quench.

I ruled out headers for a couple of reasons, cost and previous experience with them on street cars. I have the bulk of the stock exhaust still on my truck since it is an over 8500 GVWR vehicle it is non-catalyst legally. mid-95 through 87 460s used a dual 2 1/2" to the muffler and 3" tailpipe.
I have the full Gibson system. I believe the headers are significantly less restrictive than the stock headers.

If I could find a good 94-96/97 460/E4OD ECU I would try it and see how it works, I do have both a Snap-On Solus and of course my STKR CalCon for displaying real time data. The problem so far has been finding what definition or strategy is used on the SD 460s.
LHBxx, pretty much always. I could not recommend CalEdit or CalCon at all. After I set it in engine data log mode and it stopped my transmission shifting, I never let it near any of my vehicles ever again, and I never will. Those ECUs are out there. Aside from eBay, I got some using car-part.com

Quick Reply: 1993 460 vacuum diagram