1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

97 ranger fuel pump or pumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 AM
joeKyTN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i tried i think i posted it but couldnt remeber if i posted it right i knew it was a cyl 3 misfire code but reread the codes this morning but ill get the vin# right now im gonna just put it all down except first 4 if thats ok XXXXR10A5TUD38489

Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by joeKyTN
CEL on koer position code pulled was same as before PO303 cyl misfire havent got any helpers at moment to crank and check for clicking I dont hear very well anyway ill check the voltage right now can i check it right at #1 injector do they have voltage at all times or only hen told to fire ?
When the ignition switch is in the Run position, even with the engine off, the computer, arms the fuel injectors & coilpack with 12 volts B+, runs the fuel pump for a couple of seconds & turns it off, to build fuel pressure at the injectors, all in preperation for the start.

Then when we crank the engine with the starter & the crank sensor tells the computer the engine is turning over, it ground switches the coilpack using the crank sensor input & squirts the fuel injectors using the Cam sensor input & if the engine fires & runs, it turns the fuel pump back on to continue operating the engine so it'll continue to run.

Both the crank & cam sensors must be properly installed & aligned for spark & fuel injector timing to be correct & the engine to start & run right.

The computer can run the engine in the "limp home mode" if the crank or cam sensor signal is missing, it just won't run as well.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
yeah i tried i think i posted it but couldnt remeber if i posted it right i knew it was a cyl 3 misfire code but reread the codes this morning but ill get the vin# right now im gonna just put it all down except first 4 if thats ok XXXXR10A5TUD38489
T= 19996, your fuel pressure should be fine using the limited test info you gave us. if you have a p0303.....most likely you have a bad spark plug, a bad spark-plug wire or a bad dirty fuel injector....

Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 AM
joeKyTN
New User
I planned on the timing belt too , in my original post i was confused about year also remembert the title saying 96 and we talked about MFG date being 05/97 that when you told me it did have a high pressure pump on the rail, It needs timing belt and dxing has been donre for a while it was just trans giving strange problems then after ADL's made me let it set for a month this started I also know from talking to some other on here that while your doing this timing belt you might as well do this CPS and some even believe its the whole problem, im suspect computer as paw-paw stated thats why i posted the whole story to get back to trans problems eventually it acts electronic i just havent been into the new cars in a few years but from past experience Its going to be sensor , ground or computer, the other diagnostics i have done im just getting thrown right now because of what has happened since the trans problems im hoping in a way it is PCM or EEC whatever theyre called now because i think it might help the original problem too i just dont know how to diagnose that. As I stated

Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
find out the exact misfire code you have. if it is p0303 then pull the #3 plug on the #3 cylinder of the drivers side and see what it looks like, also check the wire for that plug for resistance, etc.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
I planned on the timing belt too , in my original post i was confused about year also remembert the title saying 96 and we talked about MFG date being 05/97 that when you told me it did have a high pressure pump on the rail, It needs timing belt and dxing has been donre for a while it was just trans giving strange problems then after ADL's made me let it set for a month this started I also know from talking to some other on here that while your doing this timing belt you might as well do this CPS and some even believe its the whole problem, im suspect computer as paw-paw stated thats why i posted the whole story to get back to trans problems eventually it acts electronic i just havent been into the new cars in a few years but from past experience Its going to be sensor , ground or computer, the other diagnostics i have done im just getting thrown right now because of what has happened since the trans problems im hoping in a way it is PCM or EEC whatever theyre called now because i think it might help the original problem too i just dont know how to diagnose that. As I stated
if you have a p0303 code by itself.........it is most likely, the plug, wire or injector. if it is not that then check the compression for that cyl. if all those things are fine......then you should swap out the ECU( I don't think that will end up being the problem)

Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
joeKyTN
New User
I cant see it being bad spark plug I checked spark between plug and wire itself and only one wouldnt keep all cylinders from running and fuel pressure is good i check all the way from voltage at pump to the rail and give the pressure readings so i have fuel pressure 37 PSI and pump run as supposed to thats fine. ok let me try that paw-paw i got a helper now lol not a happy helper but hes here.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
I cant see it being bad spark plug I checked spark between plug and wire itself and only one wouldnt keep all cylinders from running and fuel pressure is good i check all the way from voltage at pump to the rail and give the pressure readings so i have fuel pressure 37 PSI and pump run as supposed to thats fine. ok let me try that paw-paw i got a helper now lol not a happy helper but hes here.
I have a tough time understanding you......have you pulled any of the sparkplugs out from the drivers side and looked at them.....what brand are they? have you checked the wires for cracks and or Resistance?

Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 AM
joeKyTN
New User
ok paw-paw i think were on the right track now that i read your post again everything is good to the injectors no signal to squirt injector and we have spark i just dont think it knows when to fire so im thinking this CPS is looking like a good candidate after your explaination which i kind of had an idea thats the way it worked, make sense to me and I think your exactly right and after check fuel , pump fires and primes and is holding pressure at the injectors waiting for signal , i have spark from wire to plug so its lost without a signal too , thank you, now if you dont mind what do you think possibilities are of this being the computer not processing signals in a certain sector and causing erroneous signal to the trans too? im not sure about that and i have to change the CPS anyway and it could be it just went bad or got knocked out of the gap distance by a rock or something, but if it were the CPU it would fix both problems that would be nice too lol. the bright side is it needed a timing belt and serpentine belt and might as well do crank trigger anyway , but im like you thats the way im diagnosing this too thank you

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
ok paw-paw i think were on the right track now that i read your post again everything is good to the injectors no signal to squirt injector and we have spark i just dont think it knows when to fire so im thinking this CPS is looking like a good candidate after your explaination which i kind of had an idea thats the way it worked, make sense to me and I think your exactly right and after check fuel , pump fires and primes and is holding pressure at the injectors waiting for signal , i have spark from wire to plug so its lost without a signal too , thank you, now if you dont mind what do you think possibilities are of this being the computer not processing signals in a certain sector and causing erroneous signal to the trans too? im not sure about that and i have to change the CPS anyway and it could be it just went bad or got knocked out of the gap distance by a rock or something, but if it were the CPU it would fix both problems that would be nice too lol. the bright side is it needed a timing belt and serpentine belt and might as well do crank trigger anyway , but im like you thats the way im diagnosing this too thank you
When you figure it out make sure you come back and post what the problem was!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM
joeKyTN
New User
ok yes i have I have check spark all the way to the plug, i think paw-paws got it figured out im right with him train of thought wise so we are getting good progress here he has read the same posts and is right where i am so im sorry if im not being easy to understand but we are past all the preliminary typical checks. theyve already been done and verified as i stated.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
joeKyTN
New User
paw-paw the ground you talked about on the computer ? tell me more please ? I have no experience with them other than replace and when i used to do this they $800 eec IV lol just come out. now they seem pretty common.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
joeKyTN
New User
Thank you powersmoked i appreciate your help Im just getting pushed from outside influences at moment a little frustrated ( 7 year old son, wife etc lol ) i dont mean to be rude or short

Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
paw-paw the ground you talked about on the computer ? tell me more please ? I have no experience with them other than replace and when i used to do this they $800 eec IV lol just come out. now they seem pretty common.
Ok, so at KOEO you know the fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds & turns off, which says the computer is supplying B+ to the fuel pump & the computer ground switching fuel pump driver is working to switch the fuel pump ground connection on & off to make it operate as it's supposed too.

You have spark, so the coilpack has B+ to it at KOEO & is working, so that means the computer coilpack ground switching driver is ground switching the coilpack as directed by the crank sensor, so its working.

You say at KOEO you have B+ 12 volts To the injectors, BUT when cranking the engine, you aren't hearing the injectors "click", which says the computers ground switching drivers aren't switching & grounding the injectors so they'll squirt fuel for some reason.
To confirm this, you also noted that the #1 spark plug when removed was Dry, after all of the start attempts, which sorta confirms that the fuel injectors aren't being ground switched by the computer.

The fact that the fuel pump & coil pack are working, suggests that the computers ground connection is ok, just that for some reason it isn't ground switching the fuel injectors so they'll work!!!!!

SO, look to the computers firewall electrical connector, remove it & check the pins/sockets for corrosion, bent pins, spread sockets, pushed back pins or sockets, damaged wiring, that it was fully plugged in, not likely that All the injectors wiring or connections would go bad at the same time, but check the connector, wiring, pins & sockets & that it was Fully plugged in any way, all this for other reasons also.

If all that checks out, make sure the cam sensor is good/has continuity & its signal is making it to the computers firewall connector.

If all thats ok, suspect the computer fuel injector ground switching drivers have gone belly up for some reason. Not likely that every one would go bad all at once, maybe one or two, but not all of them, so make sure the cam sensor & wiring to the computer are ok.

Maybe trying a like computer from a friends vehicle, or maybe a salvage yard would let you try one, to see if it'll start & run.

A bunch more thoughts for consideration.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 AM
joeKyTN
New User
you are right on target, i agree whole heartedly i just wish i would have talked to you before going after this crank trigger, but it will be good now too, so if im understanding correctly your leaning toward cam sensor ? because of not switching to ground to fire injectors which makes sense to me. I will chack that thank you very much for your advise and expertise i think your are dead on and i will post back when i get those checks completed and let you know but i think you are 100 % correct and i again thank you for your help its exactly what i needed to know, but you explained the scenario dead on to what i have seen and makes sense with your process thanks again

Quick Reply: 97 ranger fuel pump or pumps