1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks again guys.
Well finally got a chance to go check it out, kind of wish I'd had stayed fat, dumb and happy. Looks like it's time for all new steering rod ends. One connected to steering box is real bad, right side not much better and a little movement on the left side. I'm surprised it drives as good as it does. Didn't see any play in the steering box itself but might be better to just do it once and be done with it. So guess I'll be doing a complete steering rebuild in the near future.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Thanks again guys.
Well finally got a chance to go check it out, kind of wish I'd had stayed fat, dumb and happy. Looks like it's time for all new steering rod ends. One connected to steering box is real bad, right side not much better and a little movement on the left side. I'm surprised it drives as good as it does. Didn't see any play in the steering box itself but might be better to just do it once and be done with it. So guess I'll be doing a complete steering rebuild in the near future.
As long as you have the tie rod joint fork spreader thingy's...it was pretty simply. I really think it took me under 2 hours to replace it all .

That was just all the steering links though...did not do the gear. That will take at least that long it self. Getting the pitman arm off can be a pain.

But you're right, do it all once.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Pitman arm isn't real bad to pull, as long as you own or rent a puller for it and a little heat never hurts either. Rubber boot is already gone on it anyway. Done a few on older jeeps. Got a "pickle fork" in the shop should I need it to remove the joints.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Update, and a question

Well finally got some free time to install the steering in my truck. I got the parts from NAPA for $145. Looks to be good quality and my friend at NAPA told me he was pretty sure they were generic MOOG but can't verify that.

Now for a new question. The link for the pitman arm doesn't quite fit right. The crown nut goes down to far for the carter key to work. It is tight with no play, it's just to long. Can I shim that by adding washers under the nut or does it need a new pitman arm?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Well finally got some free time to install the steering in my truck. I got the parts from NAPA for $145. Looks to be good quality and my friend at NAPA told me he was pretty sure they were generic MOOG but can't verify that.

Now for a new question. The link for the pitman arm doesn't quite fit right. The crown nut goes down to far for the carter key to work. It is tight with no play, it's just to long. Can I shim that by adding washers under the nut or does it need a new pitman arm?

Well figured it out. Believe it or not, the factory crown nut was taller than the replacement nut. Not a whole lot but enough that the pin worked.
Now just got to pick up a flex fitting for my grease gun and she'll be back on the road.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Good for you!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
make sure you get her aligned pretty quick otherwise you'll be burning thru tires pretty quick. glad to hear you got her all sorted out though. its a good feeling once a project like that is done. how did the play in the gearbox look? there are also steering stabilizers that can be bought to help dampen stresses on your steering, plus it helps smooth out the control feel at the wheel. just my .02 brother.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies.
Yea it does feel good to have the little projects work out. Steering box play is pretty good, very little play, which is kind of surprising figuring it's an original box. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet sense the new steering but headed to the alignment shop first off. Been thinking about a stabilizer if it still feels loose but hoping it feels tighter with the new joints on it.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the stabilizer will help, but its mainly used to help dampen any stresses from imperfections in the driving surface, using oversized tires, etc. on the steering...not really to compensate for any additional loose components in your steering setup. if anything, it'll mask the root of the issue brother. if there's more play in your steering, i'd highly recommend going thru the hair pulling process of finding the true "problem child" in the steering, rather than just throwing down 50 bucks for a stabilizer that might not do the trick. worst case, the stabilizer will mask a problem that might progress into something far more severe. i'm going thru replacing all the steering on my 81 right now. its been a TON of fun lol.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned 3 ford trucks in my lifetime and every one has had loose steering. I have a '96 f250 that I was told was loose but going from my '84 back to the '96 it feels way tighter but loose none the less. it's been my discovery though that fords are notorious for sloppy steering boxes.

I was a bit lazy and haven't read this entire thread as there are 2 pages but you can rebuild the box from what I am told. I have yet to do mine and plan on it in the next month or so. I can't stand the slop when I'm on the highway. It's hard to text and drive this way. I'm Just kidding....i suppose I could say too that the sloppy steering might cause you to spill your beer LOL!

Anyway there was a different article but I googled the topic and found this:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-rebuild.html

It's a DIY rebuild. The top nut that everyone say to adjust is a band adjustment. As a previous poster noted any time he did that it never worked and made it worse. I did this in my Oldsmobile once and I had poor results as well.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:26 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies. The steering isn't sloppy, it just feels to loose for my taste. I've checked the steering box and shaft and they seem find, no play. And there's very little play in the steering wheel. I replaced the drag link and tie rod along with tie rod ends but haven't driven it yet, will do that tomorrow when I can get it into the alignment shop.